Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a short funny story to share

a short funny story to share
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share this little anecdote that happened to me the other day.

So here goes... I recently got back into the hobby after several years of being out of it completely. I've been on a retail-buying kick lately, spurred on by the box breaking threads on these forums. I went to the closest Target, spotted the 09-10 UD blasters with the guaranteed jersey hit (and 40% off never hurts...), and figured "why not?"

Fast forward to last week (and quite a few blaster boxes later...) I was opening yet another box of the 09-10 UD that I had found, and on the next to last pack, I commented to myself "you know, I have hundreds of cards from this set, and I still haven't come across a LeBron base card yet." And as I'm finished completing this thought, I see it!

A LeBron James base card!

...with a picture of Ray Allen on the front.

But all was not lost...as this same pack also contained another pretty decent card...

the Jordan/Carmelo dual game used! (my first Jordan gu, by the way)

Anyways, I figured some of you guys would appreciate this, considering how many errors have been in this product. I think I'll keep that LBJ card as a conversation piece....maybe even grade it! (haha...I kid, I kid...) (maybe)

RE: a short funny story to share
good story, and nice hit on the jordan/melo, i would be after it but i picked it up from a member on here.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

thanks for the story. I'm usually against retail boxes. I've had terrible luck. I've bought so many in the past & there are tons of targets, wallmarts, & kmarts all over the San Diego area... but they usually have nothing on the shelves.. think somebody goes & picks them up before they hit the shelves...
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

i actually had a whole case of those UD's that was the wrong player name with the picture...i have a whole box, all different players
Collecting KNICKS and IMAN SHUMPERT super collecting
Frazier lettermans from the ALL TIME GREATS
www.photobucket.com/knickerpleasenba

check me for the jordan melo, if its for trade.
Looking for Jordan, Kobe, Durant, Rose, Lebron, Odom.

(10-17-2011, 01:14 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: thanks for the story. I'm usually against retail boxes. I've had terrible luck. I've bought so many in the past & there are tons of targets, wallmarts, & kmarts all over the San Diego area... but they usually have nothing on the shelves.. think somebody goes & picks them up before they hit the shelves...
I raided the WalMart in National City when I was coming back from the naval base on 32nd St
[Image: SanFrancisco49ers750.jpg]
Joey Porter Collector

(10-17-2011, 01:18 PM)KnickerPlease Wrote: i actually had a whole case of those UD's that was the wrong player name with the picture...i have a whole box, all different players
Does something like that have additional value?

Thanks for the responses everybody! I was never into retail boxes when I collected a few years ago...but for only 10-12 bucks a box, I couldn't resist opening some packs! My first few retail boxes that I opened, I thought to myself "oh yeah, this is why people generally don't buy retail..."

But then my first big hit (well, for me, anyways) out of the 09-10 UD box came: Larry Bird/Dirk Nowitzki dual jersey. I'm a big Mavs fan, and of course, having one of my favourite players alongside a legend on the same card was a bonus! Went straight into a sleeve/top loader for safe keeping...and I am considering having it graded just for the slab/protection/bragging rights!

Dwreck - I haven't quite decided whether or not I'm going to trade the Jordan/Melo card or not...it being my first Jordan gu, and all. I'm still in the middle of getting all my ORG set up, and ready for some potential trading hopefully soon! I'll keep you in mind first if I decide to put it on the trading block!

Doogan - I actually wondered that myself. Perhaps (if not already), there may be a small sub-market for all these interesting/odd error cards. For example, I have 2 Kobe Bryant cards from this set: One has his name on front, with some other player pictured on front (don't recognize him), but Kobe's correct picture/stats on back. The other is a card of Von Wafer, but Kobe's picture on front. I think these and others would be an interesting addition to a collection...certainly unique.

anyhoo, thanks for reading the story guys!

yeah theres not too much value to those cards...i've seen some for sale on ebay but not for that much...i'm pretty sure there were several cases that were wrong...UD actually sent me some replacement jersey cards for all of those being wrong. What went wrong seems like each card is produced (like the kobe cards) with kobe's picture and stats on the back, then they were supposed to stamp kobe's name and a lakers logo on the front but i'm guessing something was wrong with the program or it was off-set because all of them are stamped the same wrong way...like they had all of the kobe cards and accidentally stamped von wafer's name on all of them...All of them have the same error...as in the same 2 players are always pared together...i.e. lebron and ray allen...anyways yeah got a whole case of them if you have any player in particular you collect there's probably a card with another guys name on it...like i have about 10 of these jordan cards with wally szczerbiak's stamp on them...Wally wishes that this was the case...
[Image: MJ-WS.jpg]
yeah but if anyone wants one of the player they collect i probably have one for you...i literally have a whole box of different ones...
(10-18-2011, 02:06 PM)hiflyer555 Wrote: Thanks for the responses everybody! I was never into retail boxes when I collected a few years ago...but for only 10-12 bucks a box, I couldn't resist opening some packs! My first few retail boxes that I opened, I thought to myself "oh yeah, this is why people generally don't buy retail..."

But then my first big hit (well, for me, anyways) out of the 09-10 UD box came: Larry Bird/Dirk Nowitzki dual jersey. I'm a big Mavs fan, and of course, having one of my favourite players alongside a legend on the same card was a bonus! Went straight into a sleeve/top loader for safe keeping...and I am considering having it graded just for the slab/protection/bragging rights!

Dwreck - I haven't quite decided whether or not I'm going to trade the Jordan/Melo card or not...it being my first Jordan gu, and all. I'm still in the middle of getting all my ORG set up, and ready for some potential trading hopefully soon! I'll keep you in mind first if I decide to put it on the trading block!

Doogan - I actually wondered that myself. Perhaps (if not already), there may be a small sub-market for all these interesting/odd error cards. For example, I have 2 Kobe Bryant cards from this set: One has his name on front, with some other player pictured on front (don't recognize him), but Kobe's correct picture/stats on back. The other is a card of Von Wafer, but Kobe's picture on front. I think these and others would be an interesting addition to a collection...certainly unique.

anyhoo, thanks for reading the story guys!
Collecting KNICKS and IMAN SHUMPERT super collecting
Frazier lettermans from the ALL TIME GREATS
www.photobucket.com/knickerpleasenba

The 09-10 Upper Deck blasters are one of my favorite boxes to break when I find them for $11.99 at Walmart and Target. I too actually hit my first Jordan GU jersey out of one just last week, and the best part was it was a Jordan/Lebron double jersey.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/