`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Card condition preference

Card condition preference
Just curious... how do you like your cards? Of course, we all prefer MINT, but the cost for some good vintage cards is crazy for MINT.

My first rule is no creases, holes, missing chunks, markings, etc.

After that, I think it really comes down to corners/edges and centering. I personally prefer a well-centered card with moderate wear over an off-centered card with sharp corners and edges.

I'm not sure if that's weird or not. I've never had a card graded, but I think the grading takes off more for the wear than the centering, doesn't it? Either way, I just really prefer a card to be centered... I can live with some wear on a vintage card.

Just wondering if I'm in the minority or majority here. Or maybe it's 50/50.

RE: Card condition preference
other than the obvious stuff like no creases/holes/missing pieces/roller marks/etc

i prefer a well centered card to almost any other minor issues... I don't like corners to be mangled but I'd prefer softer corners than more off centered if i had to choose one or the other.

to give an idea how much I like centering, out of about 20 cards total sent in for grading with BGS have yet to have any card come back with less than a 9.5 for centering other than one card that got a 3 or so but it is a miscut factory misprint that i wanted slabbed to prove it was real and didnt know at the time I could just get it slabbed as authentic (shame it has a 8.5 average for other 3 subgrades!)
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

RE: Card condition preference
I prefer an 'ex' vintage card, decent centering...I get nervous if the corners are "too" sharp, as there are a countless number of shaved and altered cards on the market.
Collect Andrew McCutchen, Roberto Clemente and most current/vintage Pirates. Some Braves Dynasty like Maddux, Klesko, Javy & Chipper.

[Image: cutchbanner.jpg]