`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With hockey starting tonight, how did everyone become a fan of hockey

RE: With hockey starting tonight, how did everyone become a fan of hockey
I grew up in Canada as a 70`s kid. Back then a kids life was playing road hockey every day until dark. I still remember counting down the days until sat. The cool fall sat evenings playing hockey on the street until dark. We would head in, scarf down supper that was left in the oven for hours after everyone else ate. Jump in the tub and get out just in time for Wayne and Shuster and then onto the game on HNIC. My dad and I would settle in to watch the game on CBC on an old black and white TV. Cards and stickers in hand which I would spread out on the floor all the players in that nights game. I would usual only make it through 2 periods before doozing off and would wake up to my dad carrying me into my bed. Back then a kids life was pretty care free, life was all about family, some chores and hockey (playing, reading, watching and collecting). My dad always liked the Bruins, for some reason I was drawn to the Leafs.

Now I am the dad and I spend sat nights watching HNIC with my 10 year old son. We still take out our cards and pick out those of the players playing. When I hear the old HNIC theme song I still get goose bumps, its so awesome. Its so cool to be able to be able to introduce and share the experience with my son just like my dad did with me.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

I apparently have the most tenuous connection to the game of anyone here so far. Sharks were a distant third to my San Francisco Giants and 49ers back in the 90s, when both teams were good. As the Niners fell off around the turn of the millennium, Sharks hockey rose to a tie for 2nd with football behind my beloved Giants.

Fairweather fan that I am, I paid increasing attention to San Jose as they become consistently good right around the last Lockout, and living on the east coast I started going to games when the Sharks visited New York or New Jersey.

The big change happened when I met my SO, who's Canadian. When I visited her, there was an energy around hockey and card collecting that I hadn't seen since the days baseball was still America's game in the late-80s. It was largely my reacquaintance with card collecting, and specifically hockey card collecting, that turned me into the hockey fanatic that I have been for the last few years. I now watch more non-Shark NHL hockey than all the Giants, Warriors, and 49ers games put together.

It's a great sport partly because it has great fans. It sounds weird but since I've never played it, I can appreciate the artistry of the game from a distance. Someday, I'm sure I'll hit the rink in a beginner league, but for now, I'm happy just to admire this great League from the armchair.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

I grew up in Inuvik N.W.T. my Dad and brother where leafs fans, but I played defence and Bobby was the best, so I cheered for the Bruins. I played until my family came along, we liked to eat and hockey was put away, now my grandchildren are learning to skate, and the passion is passed on. I was born in Edmonton so I'm an avid Oiler's fan.
My father in law and I just watched the leafs and reminisced about playing, he will return to Ontario next week and with my move there to join my wife when the house sells these nights will become more frequent. Before I leave two grandsons need skating lessons but I know their dads will pass on the passion, and the dream to play in the NHL will be passed on.

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS

It was always a tradition for our family to go in the basement and watch HNIC by a roaring fire where we would roast weiners in and have hot dogs and corn on the cob. Seemed like we would always get the Toronto games and if you didn't mind french, then there was Montreal on the French CBC.

However my dad took me to my first ever hockey game when I turned 7 years old (many more were to follow in the up coming years). It was the Edmonton Oilers vs The Birmingham Bulls in the final WHA season. I do remember Edmonton winning 5-1 and was the first time I had ever seen Wayne Gretzky play. Watching it live in person made me love the game even more the game even more than to just watch it on TV Smile Saw one more WHA game that year where the Quebec Nordiques hammered my Oilers 7-2

First NHL game, Edmonton vs Quebec where B.J. MacDonald scored a hat trick with Wayne Gretzky assisting on all three of his goals in a 6-3 victory over Quebec. :

Also saw two of Wayne Gretzky's fights live in person where he held on to dear life against Doug Lecuyer in the corner in where the Oilers beat Chicago 4-2 and the other one was where Wayne Gretzky and Neal Broten of the Minnesota North Stars dropped the gloves behind the net. Oilers won that one 8-2 Smile

I became a Canucks fan believe it or not by my baby sitters when I was 3yrs old. They were girls two sisters who would watch the Canucks games with me and cheered them on, I would go to their houses and they had all these canucks posters, pictures, penants etc.. After that they were not only my team but my heart and soul goes out to this team. That was back in the early 80's, my fave player was Tony Tanti, followed by Gradin, Sandstrom and Smyl.. and the rest is history. Since I was 6 did I start collecting as many Canucks cards as I can get my hands on!

[Image: Signaturephoto.jpg]

Collecting all Canucks cards! Currently 6310/20359 31%

LETS TRADE!

I became a Habs and Patrick Roy fan when I was a kid and I saw them win the cup in 1993.
[Image: 0809bdall_sm.jpg]
Looking for: Patrick Roy, 80s OPC, 72/73 OPC
Photobucket
GO HABS!

I can't remember much about what I did yesterday, but I do remember busting my first pack of cards...it was back in 1977, so I was 8 years old! Breaking that pack of 76/77 O-Pee-Chee (with the glossy facsimile autos of the Maple Leafs), and finding a Lanny card (Surprisingly, the Leafs WERE a fave of mine back then!), got me hooked. I think a lot of it had to do with my Grand-dad. He lived in Burnaby, BC while I was growing up in Salmon Arm, BC, and whenever we'd go to the Coast to visit during hockey season, he'd have the game on the TV, and he wouldn't say hello, he'd tell my brothers and I to "Sit down and Shut-up...the Leafs are playing!" I think I got into hockey then so we'd have something to talk about when we saw each other.
He did the same during baseball season, which is where I first discovered my love for the Jays. When he passed away, I was at the funeral, and the Pastor mentioned "Benny's love for baseball", which got me thinking about all the times I'd see him in the Summer, and that same line, altered for the season, would be uttered as we came in the door..."Sit down and Shut up...The Jays are playing!"
[Image: opiebanner.png]

Thanks to Tha Penguin for the banner!
Always looking for Senators and Canucks cards.

Opie's Senators Collection: 4036/14396 28.3%, according to Beckett's database

I became a fan around the age of 8. My dad would watch the North Stars on tv, and take me to a few games a year at the Met. About 5 years later, the North Stars moved out of town to Dallas. As upsetting as this was to me, I continued to follow the Stars as much as I could. Every time they were on national tv, I'd be watching. Since we didn't have the internet until around 96, I started to follow the Canadians a little as well. Then came the news that we were getting a new team, the Wild. Today I cheer for both the Wild and Stars, I love them both. Some Wild fans tell me to let go of the Stars. It's hard to imagine doing that, they were my first love. It can be a little weird having two favorites though.

As for hockey card collecting. I collected hockey in the late 80's early 90's, and just got back into hockey cards this year.

I was about 6 years old when I told my parents I wanted to learn how to ice skate. They took me down to the local rink and put me into learn to skate. On one half of the ice was learn to skate and the other side was learn to play hockey. I saw that and told my parents I wanted to be at the other end of the rink. The guy teaching learn to play hockey knew my parents and saw me on the ice. He told me parents to put me with him. Ever since then I have been in love with hockey. The guy who taught me how to play was my coach all the way until high school.

As for card collecting my dad bought me a a couple boxes of 1991 Score for Christmas one year. I still have a couple of the boxes unopened as I only opened one since they were all the same.
Collect Ray Bourque, Ryan Miller, Patrice Bergeron, Dougie Hamilton

Living in Canada you were born into it. We used to skate on weeknights and both weekend days until our toes froze on outdoor rinks (had to shovel 2 or 3 times a night). We also played street hockey in our aqua blue/green Northstar runners and finally come in as late as mom would let us. Go inside take off your runners and your white socks were absolutely the same aqua blue/green color from the dye that had come out of the runners. Also, remember those lovely orange ball hockey balls that tended to get lets say "stiff" when it sunk below zero. Once in awhile you would take one where the sun had not nor was about to shine for 6 months and you always grabbed your knee and sputtered a high pitched "I'm ok" and kept on going. My first foray into collecting was in 73-74 with OPC and if I remember correctly they were 5 cents a pack. I also remember trying to entice all my relatives and family friends that they needed gas and we should go to Esso cause they had the best fuel, knowing full well I would get the stickers they were giving out at the time. I remember how excited when we pulled into the station each time. Awesome part of being born in this fine country. Cheers......