`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
retail vs hobby vs blaster

RE: retail vs hobby vs blaster
(09-28-2011, 11:51 AM)hockeynick1721 Wrote: Upper Deck usually posts the odds for each hobby product on their product pages. And you can find which sets are exclusive to either class, hobby vs retail (which blaster is retail).

When trying to determine the odds for retail, you have to read the packaging or look online, I usually look at DAcardworld. They are good on listing the odds for everything they sell.
but if the set you were collecting had exclusive cards for either hobby or retail, would they be listed so you'd know?
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

(09-28-2011, 07:40 PM)Optimus_Prime Wrote: but if the set you were collecting had exclusive cards for either hobby or retail, would they be listed so you'd know?
Normally they are. What sets are we talking about?

I find retail boxes or blasters are better for base set collector's. I prefer hobby for the better hits.
Teemu count: 1642 different cards

Always looking for Selanne's
for my PC.

E-mail: suomibear8@aol.com

2010-11 Pinnacle . I've started buying the blaster packs from meijer for 19.99 (someday i'll move up on the food chain and start paying the 29.99 for the Zenith Blasters) and went online to check prices/boxes and noticed they had a 2010-11 Pinnacle Retail box. Was curious as the difference because i did not noticed any different listings on beckett for hobby vs retail like I've seen for other sets.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

Generally speaking, the odds of inserts/jerseys/autos is increased in Hobby boxes.

For example, the UD1 hobby box has 2 jerseys, better chances at autos and a chance at a patch. THe retail has 1 jersy and an astrnomical chance at an auto. No patch. Blasters contain the same odds as retail, just less packs.

Sometimes, you can find some pretty nice things in blasters, but I think hobby boxes are good if you're feeling lucky.

One quick rule of thumb I go by is that the more I pay per card, on average, means the better chance I have of hitting hard (e.g., $50 for a box of 100 cards proves different than $2 for a pack of 12). Nothing is guaranteed, but the odds are generally on the box or pack someplace to support my theory.

JonahanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I would say check the manufacturer's website for the odds.
Collecting all the Ron Hextall Cards especially those
pesky 1 of 1 cards and other low print runs.
I am also collecting Bernie Parent, Pelle Lindbergh,
Antero Niittymaki & other Flyers goalies.
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/dam1057/