`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Off the field Issues really effect a players card's Value?

Do Off the field Issues really effect a players card's Value?
Ok I received a lot in the Mail and 1 card in Particular caught my attention. It was a Rae Carruth Finest card. I used to collect Carruth before he got in Trouble. For those of you who don't know the story. Rae got his girlfriend pregnant and because he wanted to not pay child support he ordered a hit on the girl. Girl passed Baby lived. Rae was Caught in the trunk of a Car later on and has been in prision since. So It made me wonder. Did all his cards become worthless after that? If someone were to make a post requesting his cards would that person be looked down on? Does any of this off the field stuff matter in the trading world? If a you had a card of the guy would you just try to get rid of it or would you want full value on it?
[Image: cbeg-2.jpg]
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/Da...or%20Sale/
Chris Henry Collection Items:811/423 MEM:307/152 AUTO:395/175 Ser #'d:711/343 RC:38/37

RE: Do Off the field Issues really effect a players card's Value?
I know that Kobe's rape allegations kept him from a few MVP's. Which affected his card value

"So It made me wonder. Did all his cards become worthless after that?"

Rae Carruth himself became a worthless piece of junk himself after that. Him, OJ, are fools, and why anyone would want their cards is beyond me, yeah OJ was a GREAT RB, but all that went out the window. Look how bad Vicks cards took a dive when he was fighting dogs, people don't pay for stupidity.
WANT ALL MARIO WILLIAMS & BRIAN CUSHING CARDS!!
[Image: LeinartLot007.jpg]
[Image: LeinartLot009.jpg]

(09-19-2011, 01:45 AM)dewdrinker Wrote: "So It made me wonder. Did all his cards become worthless after that?"

Rae Carruth himself became a worthless piece of junk himself after that. Him, OJ, are fools, and why anyone would want their cards is beyond me, yeah OJ was a GREAT RB, but all that went out the window. Look how bad Vicks cards took a dive when he was fighting dogs, people don't pay for stupidity.
Ahh, but look at Ray Lewis, he was involved in a murder, plea bargained down and people still collect him, Lewis did no jail time, no suspension from the NFL, no fine, etc.....

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

I feel off-the-field foul behavior DOES affect the BV and respect a player in the NFL has. Lewis, Roethlisberger, Vick, OJ, etc.(the list is very long of players who have muddied their names in the public eye). Will people still collect them---sure. Does that make them a bad person for collecting them----no, forgiveness is a divine thing. Does this mean their card values won't ever increase----no. But as for myself, I still have a hard time collecting these people's cards. Roethlisberger is on MY team and I sought his cards for a long time but now I could care less if I picked up another of his cards.

Jamal Lewis set up cocaine deals on his cell phone. sure he was a 2,000 yard rusher before that but ever since? nothing. he faded into bolivia mike tyson style and I just picked up one of his autographed cards on ebay #'d to 25 for $1.49. I'd say off the field issues definitely affect values, I don't know why anyone would look down on you for collecting them though. I dont think anyone looks down on Vick collectors
[Image: vt-2.gif]

Of course it affects card values. Everyone needs to remember that the ONLY thing that affects card values is public opinion. A QB could throw 100 TD's in a season and that doesn't mean that his cards will be valuable. If he threw 100 TDs in a season, lots of people would probably want his cards though, which would make them valuable.

The only thing that affects card prices are supply and demand. Supply is what it is. Demand, however, is a fickle thing. If the guy behaves like an idiot, will he lose fans? Definitely. Will he gain fans? I doubt it. This would result in lower demand for his cards, which would result in lower card values.

No doubt.
Collecting Jimmer Fredette.

(09-19-2011, 09:11 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Of course it affects card values. Everyone needs to remember that the ONLY thing that affects card values is public opinion. A QB could throw 100 TD's in a season and that doesn't mean that his cards will be valuable. If he threw 100 TDs in a season, lots of people would probably want his cards though, which would make them valuable.

The only thing that affects card prices are supply and demand. Supply is what it is. Demand, however, is a fickle thing. If the guy behaves like an idiot, will he lose fans? Definitely. Will he gain fans? I doubt it. This would result in lower demand for his cards, which would result in lower card values.
this is the truth right here... +1000
JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin

I have a reply DIRECTLY related to Carruth. I was collecting his cards when he was drafted and throughout his only season. When I found out about the whole situation b/t him and his girlfriend (ie. when he was first accused of the attempted murder of her), I stopped collecting him. I do still have the cards I pulled of him, but do not make trades for his cards. What he did was FAR WORSE!!! than what all the other players named in this thread did. Besides OJ, all the other players continued to play or came back after their time was served. Rae is in prison for life and will likely never have cards made of him again. He will never play again and will most likely die in prison.
What happened with him resulted in his cards plummeting pretty quickly and they have stayed at the same BV for about a dozen years now. He was a really good player and could have been great, if he hadn't went stupid about that situation. I don't now and never will LOOK for his cards, but I don't trade away the ones I have. They are still Panthers cards, after all! Wink