`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The PSA set registry "effect" ...UPDATED!!!

RE: The PSA set registry "effect" and why it works against me yet again...
You present a interesting and thought provoking discussion that is leaving me a lil puzzled as well. I too have always thought that beckett was the premiere grading service for modern cards. Since i was just a wee whipper snapper of about 8 or so, beckett has always been my favorite magazine to pick up at the store next to sport illustrated, and the one i have always went by. The other guys always seemed to be a vintage type collectibles and cards service, and i never seen their price guide at my local card shop or anywhere really. heck i didnt even know who they were till a month ago.

I wonder what they are doing over there to be adding 95 bucks to a card and make it in such demand. gotta be something competitive or a contest, which seems to be lacking for BGS.

On a side note i cant log into the registry here for some reason using login details for the forum. Does it have to be a seperate account to log in the registry as well?
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

(09-04-2011, 01:55 AM)stefanjwhite Wrote: ...Try asking someone who collects PSA 10s why they pay so much for them, this could be helpful...
That is exactly the point bakerman is trying to make. The collectors of PSA 10s are driving the prices up due to certain cards' rarity in PSA 10 condition. They are scarce.

As far as whoever told him that BGS should be worth more, look at Beckett's grading system. They, themselves, state that other companies' 10 grades are equal to a BGS 9.5. All other things being equal, buying a BGS Pristine 10 simply costs more than another's 10.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

(09-04-2011, 02:03 AM)all day baby Wrote: That is exactly the point bakerman is trying to make. The collectors of PSA 10s are driving the prices up due to certain cards' rarity in PSA 10 condition. They are scarce.

As far as whoever told him that BGS should be worth more, look at Beckett's grading system. They, themselves, state that other companies' 10 grades are equal to a BGS 9.5. All other things being equal, buying a BGS Pristine 10 simply costs more than another's 10.
The collectors will always decide the value, I agree w/ you, someone who is chasing a PSA 10 set probably doesn't care about BGS, so to him BGS doesn't carry the same value. I am saying it is a matter of preference independant (sp) to the collector. It doesn't matter what old precious beckett says the value is, it matters what it sells for, same w/ the PSA registry. BGS supposedly will have a registry up and running before Jesus comes back, for those who are interested, well they can see if that impacts the value at all.

Again, my only point is the value is relative to one person, the buyer. Print run, condition, rarity etc.... all subjective, end of story. Good night all. Good thread btw bakerman.

[Image: flo.jpg]
Sadistically collecting Chad OchoCinco Johnson
non 1/1's 2660/3840 69.25% complete

*Every time you use the word "MOJO" an angel gets full blown aids*

(09-04-2011, 01:55 AM)stefanjwhite Wrote: This has nothing to do w/ patch fakes and autos, don't try turning it into something it's not.

Well it seems to you that PSA sells higher, doesn't it? Try asking someone who collects PSA 10s why they pay so much for them, this could be helpful. And just who tells you BGS is the best? And why do you believe the BGS grade adds more value? It seems to me you know that they don't. Maybe you should be upset w/ whoever convinced you BGS was the way, and not be so resentful of people who prefer something that you don't.
Ok I thought the first response by you was in the tone of why am I forcing my beliefs on others but I let it go so I didnt assume and end up being incorrect.

Fake autos/patches are similar to this in the way the affect the market but I will let that part go as you are right we are talking about graded cards.

I never said all PSA cards sell for more just the ones that do really go for a lot more than BGS cards.

As for finding someone who buys PSA 10 cards can you point me in the right direction?

Beckett has won 6 or 7 awards for which company is the best grading service. I guess I can blame the awards.

I believe BGS adds more value because price guides suggest so. Marino RC is $50 raw and $1200 in BGS 9.5 I think its fair to assume it adds value.

And by the last sentence I really dont know what to say about that except that isnt the case. You are assuming I prefer BGS and since I attacked the PSA set registry and its validity you are taking it as Im attacking people who buy PSA cards. Is it because I said crazy set collectors? I call people crazy all the time including myself for the amount we spend on cards. I really think you just missed the entire point of the thread.

Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

lol 2 words......proof read. Reading some or your posts are hard to understand because you are either missing words, comas, using words in the wrong tense....sorry im having a bad day. Love you guys

This is a really good article... It brings up all sorts of issues with graded cards in general... I have been going back and forth trying to decide if I should grade all my best cards... Autos, etc... Just not sure... Of course it's just more for protective purposes then reselling...Wink hmmm... What to do...
JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin

Sure the PSA registry collectors can drive up prices, but so what. If you are saying that a Zach Thomas BGS 9.5 went for $5.50 then get the one of them and reslab it with PSA ($10 or so), then your PSA 10 Zach Thomas will be ALOT cheaper and the problem is solved.

Set collectors drive up prices, player collectors drive up prices, team collectors drive up prices, speculators drive up prices, HOF autograph collectors drive up prices, etc.

No matter what you collect, there will be some niche that you will need to compete against.
--
PSA Set registry is competative, whereas BGS is more for flipping in my opinion
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

RE: The PSA set registry "effect" ...UPDATED!!!
******UPDATE*******

Here is the JT with about an hour left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380366775018?ssP...1426.l2649

Now to all of those who have said to me collectors drive the prices up and not a set registry, please explain to me as to why this card is going to be $200 when I bet if it were any other grading company the sale would be maybe 1/4 of that???

Now I will ask this question again for those who may have missed it the first time. IF BGS has the toughest grading service and a BGS 9.5 is a better grade than a PSA 10 why would a PSA 10 sell for more than 4X-5X what a BGS 9.5 would???

I have my theory but most seem to disagree with me..........
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

I am not sure what they are doing over there at PSA to drive up the prices, but ya your right something is up. maybe some kinda contest to see who can get the most PSA 10's or something of that nature
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

Its no different than owning a 1/1 - Set collectors build sets. Bottom line. They want the best cards in their sets. Its no different than Magic collectors running up my Magic prices. Its no different than Bradford collectors running up Bradford prices. Its a set. People collect it. When BGS registry gets its act together BGS registry will cause prices to go up on BGS graded items too. Buy all the 9.5's and send them in to PSA and make a killing! Supply and demand. Its rampant every where in every aspect of life.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC