`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else feel the same way about "patch cards"?

Does anyone else feel the same way about "patch cards"?
I absolutely will not purchase a "game used patch" card unless I witness it myself being pulled from a pack. It is just too easy to fake these things in my honest opinion. I cant even count the number of times ive looked at someones post of their "new pickup" and just shook my head because there is no way to know if it is legit or not. Anyone else feel the same way?

RE: Does anyone else feel the same way about "patch cards"?
(08-30-2011, 01:23 PM)themaskedhood Wrote: I absolutely will not purchase a "game used patch" card unless I witness it myself being pulled from a pack. It is just too easy to fake these things in my honest opinion. I cant even count the number of times ive looked at someones post of their "new pickup" and just shook my head because there is no way to know if it is legit or not. Anyone else feel the same way?
Gray area, if it looks cool it looks cool, many of the officially made ones are probably fake too. I think one can figure out if something is real or fake just by seeing if the product contains such items ala a mass availability of similar ones from different "pulled sources" or the product checklist itself - this site can also be helpful in connecting with others who may or may not have knowledge on specific products and its patches as well.

(08-30-2011, 01:23 PM)themaskedhood Wrote: I absolutely will not purchase a "game used patch" card unless I witness it myself being pulled from a pack. It is just too easy to fake these things in my honest opinion. I cant even count the number of times ive looked at someones post of their "new pickup" and just shook my head because there is no way to know if it is legit or not. Anyone else feel the same way?
I do not feel that way. Did we not land on the moon either? While I try not to be naive to counterfeit baseball cards, I can't help but have more trust in the cards than not.
[Image: bZcet.png]
(Banner by jbel4331)
Adam Dunn Super Collector.

(08-30-2011, 02:18 PM)bunk27 Wrote: I do not feel that way. Did we not land on the moon either? While I try not to be naive to counterfeit baseball cards, I can't help but have more trust in the cards than not.
+1

The only real caution I have these days are the mass aray of "Buyback" Auto's going around. I mean, take Albert Pujols for instance. There are more "Buyback" Auto's on eBay than Certs anymore.
Collecting Joey Votto-

[Image: JoeyVottoBanner2.jpg]

"The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love."

What I would like Topps to do is tell us what game the GU bat or jersey was used in.
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]

(08-30-2011, 02:51 PM)elfeo013 Wrote: What I would like Topps to do is tell us what game the GU bat or jersey was used in.
I would like Topps to just simply tell us IF it was even game used. All they say now is player worn memorabilia.

As for the topic of patches, I'm not really concerned about it. Seems like that issue has dropped off in recent years. I'm sure there are some people who attempt it, but the card companies are putting some really sick patches in stuff so it's really hard to even tell.

I certainly won't shy away from buying a patch card simply because I don't know for a fact that it is real. Just because a patch card can be faked doesn't mean I won't buy one. It's real until I have reason to believe otherwise.

It's like the Matrix: if I don't know it's fake, I don't care- it's real to me!

I don't feel that way. When I buy patch cards, I make sure that the card says that is a game worn patch. If it says jersey, but has a piece of patch, I stay away.
I collect any Derek Jeter and 2010 Allen and Ginter relic cards.

I just don't want any game/event used/worn cards period! [Image: SmileyTicker.png]

With that said, if I did collect patch cards, I look for the label on the card that refers somehow to it being a patch card as well as look around at others of the same card. If all the cards are nothing but a big slab of grey jersey yet the one I'm looking at has a centered team logo patch in there, I'd run away.

There is another forum I browse frequently where some members do seem to keep track of that stuff and have posted scans of cards with a regular jersey piece that sold on ebay a couple of weeks prior and suddenly the same card is for sale again with a great looking patch piece from the guy who won it the first time around. (The card had the same serial number.)

Ultimately, it's like anything else in this hobby though and you need to do your homework before you drop the dough.

It seems like most patch cards are numbered (usually pretty low too). If I saw a patch on a card that wasn't numbered (and the others are usually white with the occasional pinstripe) I would run away
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)