`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Hurricane Irene Thread

RE: Hurricane Irene Thread
(08-27-2011, 02:33 PM)ja1091 Wrote: Where in Queens? I live in Howard Beach, right next to Broad Channel which got evacuated. But everyone is also panicing over here too!
Broad Channel !! I grew up on the channel. We moved there in '59 and in '60 we got hit with Hurricane donna the whole channel was flooded. We had something like 10 inches of water in the house. Not to much to worry about in Howard Beach I would think. Except maybe if you live over by the train station and the bay side. Hey don't you know I moved to florida and the same year Hurricane Andrew took out Homestead. Stay safe up there.

(08-27-2011, 05:45 PM)baseball dad Wrote: Broad Channel !! I grew up on the channel. We moved there in '59 and in '60 we got hit with Hurricane donna the whole channel was flooded. We had something like 10 inches of water in the house. Not to much to worry about in Howard Beach I would think. Except maybe if you live over by the train station and the bay side. Hey don't you know I moved to florida and the same year Hurricane Andrew took out Homestead. Stay safe up there.
Nah, I live on the new side but I got word that Hamilton Beach(area by the train station and by the water) was evacuated. They get floods every time it rains even just a little bit over there. But I'm still a little worried over here cause if the bay overflows then the whole neighborhood could be in trouble. Hope this doesn't happen though.
[Image: jetersig_zps16abeec2.jpg]
Collecting Robinson Cano, Eduardo Nunez, and Derek Jeter
Also making sigs

its started raining heavy here in flemington nj
Looking for jose reyes in a Mets uniform
REYES CARD COUNT-366

"the other sports are just sports, baseball is a love"

[Image: 6I7b5.png]

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

(08-27-2011, 06:14 PM)ja1091 Wrote: Nah, I live on the new side but I got word that Hamilton Beach(area by the train station and by the water) was evacuated. They get floods every time it rains even just a little bit over there. But I'm still a little worried over here cause if the bay overflows then the whole neighborhood could be in trouble. Hope this doesn't happen though.
I found out this morning you guys are looking at an incoming tide and a new moon tide to boot. I used to hate those moon tides and thats without a storm surge!!

(08-28-2011, 04:14 AM)baseball dad Wrote: I found out this morning you guys are looking at an incoming tide and a new moon tide to boot. I used to hate those moon tides and thats without a storm surge!!
I'm actually a little nervous right now. My cousin in old howard beach texted me that its all flooded and trees are down
[Image: jetersig_zps16abeec2.jpg]
Collecting Robinson Cano, Eduardo Nunez, and Derek Jeter
Also making sigs

High wind and heavy rain in New York's southern tier...Rick
My PC & Trade... http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22/...rts_Teams/

My trade items are at the bottom of my bucket listed as "Trade - (Type of Card)"

I'm always looking for HOF game-used in all sports...

(08-26-2011, 06:57 PM)andrewinnc Wrote: Update: The wind and rain have both picked up considerably. Not a whole lot of lightning and thunder. I expect power to be out soon though.
Well, I finally got a chance to reply. It wasn't all that bad down here. A bunch of leaves and sticks, with a few good-sized branches mixed in. The bad stuff hit around 2 AM yesterday. I lost power at 5:30 AM and did get it back until 1 AM. Spent all of this morning cleaning up the yard. Overall, it wasn't as bad as past hurricanes, but we really didn't get the brunt of the storm. Everyone in the north, stay on your toes!

On a side note, three dumb teenagers decided to take a swim in the river in the middle of the hurricane. Needless to say, only two of them made it out. Blame it on the alcohol.
I collect 1977-Present Baseball of any team, especially the Braves (NL) and the Red Sox (AL). Considering an expansion into vintage. I am slowly adding cards and wants to my org.

(08-26-2011, 01:53 PM)gherkin1496 Wrote: Figured I would make a thread for all of us in the path of Irene. Sorry Ceocards i know the boards are set up for trading only but i figured this would get the most reads. If you must lock it/move it/delete it I understand. I am in New Jersey where it looks like it will hit pretty hard. Feel free to post pics/share stories but if you are in an area where you are under order to evacuate PLEASE evacuate!
After 2 days w/out electricity in north NJ it's finally back on. I'm in Bergen County (about 15 min north of the GWB) and while we were within the path it essentially was a heavy rain event around 10" but only a few gusts of high winds & nothing sustained over 30 -40 mph. Along the coast & even well inland where it was supposed to be safer it seems most outages were from trees falling on wires. We lost electricity because the sub station was built in a FLOOD ZONE, who is the brains behind that?
48 hours w/out electricity seemed like forever, the things we take for granted. My laptop with wi fi didn't hold up too long as the battery drains quickly, i did pick up a signal a few times to get my internet fix lol.
Hope all those affected are ok, i'm sure any trades that were mailed got affected, i was hoping my card would have gotten here via "air mail" lol.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered