`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HYPOTHETICAL: Creating a Card Company

RE: HYPOTHETICAL: Creating a Card Company
I would make a set that really focuses on card design. With really trippy futuristic backgrounds, similar to Topps Unique but more colorful. It would be a mid-range set that includes the same kind of people in Topps S1/S2 (not prospects) and 2 or 3 hits per box (case hit would be a jumbo patch or something like that)

Building on my idea, the name of the company would be On Deck (I guess it's kinda similar to Upper Deck...oh well). There would definitely be a set called "On Deck Aces" where it is NOTHING but pitchers (relief pitchers normally don't get many cards) and it includes past greats as well as current players. (Might be an insert set like Legendary Lineage where it would compare past/present aces like Niekro/Dickey or Ryan/Strasburg, etc.
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

What are some ways you would go about making your product kid friendly?

Price is obviously the main factor, but that means you'd have to really cut production cost. So no refractors, parallels, autos, or relics. You could have a couple insert sets with some foil or something different. Would you include stuff like mascots in the base set? Maybe bright and colorful designs, or is that pandering?

I remember the 89 Topps set when I was 7-8 years old and being completely infatuated with it. Granted, I was a lot more excited buying 90 Donruss and pulling one of those MVP bonus cards, even though the design was pretty hideous. If you could put together a set with just enough personality and just enough 'wow' and do it fairly inexpensively, I think you'd have a winner. If Topps could turn Opening Day into something more than just a cheap parallel set, they might be onto something.

(08-22-2011, 03:18 PM)rossmaute Wrote: What are some ways you would go about making your product kid friendly?

Price is obviously the main factor, but that means you'd have to really cut production cost. So no refractors, parallels, autos, or relics. You could have a couple insert sets with some foil or something different. Would you include stuff like mascots in the base set? Maybe bright and colorful designs, or is that pandering?

I remember the 89 Topps set when I was 7-8 years old and being completely infatuated with it. Granted, I was a lot more excited buying 90 Donruss and pulling one of those MVP bonus cards, even though the design was pretty hideous. If you could put together a set with just enough personality and just enough 'wow' and do it fairly inexpensively, I think you'd have a winner. If Topps could turn Opening Day into something more than just a cheap parallel set, they might be onto something.
I like the idea of the 1993-1994 UD Fun Packs with the Glow in the Dark cards, Stickers, Heat Activated, Fold Outs and odd stuff like that. I don't think I would do all those fold out, stickers stuff and I would make the card designs more classy instead of fun design. So...actually nothing like the UD Fun Packs. But like the Fun Packs as far as semi-glossy card stock, pricing (for kids), colorful and comprehensive (showcasing many players per set).
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

What kind of names would you guys go for? Would you want to resurrect an old brand name like Donruss or Fleer or Score? Or would you rather start fresh with something baseball related? I kind of like the name Diamond, as in Diamond Trading Card Co. It has the obvious baseball tie-in but it also represents something broader, a symbol of quality.

I would create a set with major players on each team series one and after the all star break series 2. Included would be mascots, stadiums, and fan action cards such as (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_lea...mlb-wp8810) fun moments, etc. I would 100% include gum in every pack!