`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miami U scandal

RE: Miami U scandal
These players are NEVER going to get paid at the college level. Sure, the football program is bringing in big bucks for the Athletic Dept, but that's the ONLY sport. Most colleges have 8 other sports that don't bring in any money, but they still travel, get scholarships, lodging, food, books, etc. And with Title IX, you'd have to pay the women as well. There's so many negatives because you'd have to pay ALL the athletes in every sport.

I say give the players a choice: 1) Take the scholarship and play with no money, or 2) Take payments, but pay for school and taxes.

So does everyone one here realize that football and basketball pay for EVERYTHING inside the athletic department? That means women's basketball, track, baseball, softball, swimming, diving, gymnastics, tennis, lacrosse, polo, rifle, hockey, bowling, volleyball, etc. Now you have to pay for all the coaches on those teams as well as the MILLIONS coaches for football and basketball demand.

So the SEC schools make $18 millions each from the TV deal. That doesn't even touch the budget for even Vanderbilts AD and they suck.

Pay the football players and basketball players. What about all the other athletes that make the same sacrifices that happen to not play in the 2 money makers? Do they not deserve the same compensation? What about the schools that don't play in the SEC or Big 10? You know the schools who DON'T make $18 millions from a TV deal. Don't you think that would create a bit of an advantage for about 30 schools?

I am a college graduate and by the time I left I owed about $30,000 to the US government. AND my talents weren't on display EVERY saturday for my dream employer to see me. I don't have any sympathy for the players, they are getting to do what any of us would LOVE to have been able to do. And I don't mean that as any type of slight to the amount of work they have to put in to make grades and still practice. But like the saying goes, nothing worth having is easy.

Now, having said that, Miami should fry for this one. The players involved should pay back the money they accepted, the coaches involved should be fired from whatever school they are at now and Miami should be banned from bowls and TV for at least 5 years.
[Image: joealexander.jpg]
[Image: white.jpg]

(08-19-2011, 02:27 PM)shezdoni Wrote: What about the Bounty's placed on injuring opposing players?

For Tebow, I believe it was $5000.

on the other hand, the money that he was using was stolen money, and you can bet the Prosecutor for that case, and the Attorney's for the people that the booster literally stole the money from is going to be going after those players to get it back + penalties, what is your opinion on that?
My opinion stays the same....and once again part of that opinion is that if its illegal then of course i disagree with it. if i paid someone to whoop someones ***** in the parking lot, thats illegal and id go to jail for it. i never once said that i agreed with EVERYTHING that this guy was involved with with these players. they should be held accountable for their actions. im simply saying that theres nothing wrong with self-gain in college if it is done in a controlled state. its no different then someone delivering pizza while in school. The NFL is a JOB. A career. The NFL is a business. The NCAA is a business. Colleges are a business. the athletes are working to bring money in for the BUSINESS. so in a sense the kid that hits the books all day and then goes and delivers pizza to make money is the same as the athlete that is working on the practice field all week to go to work on saturdays to make money for the BUSINESS. the should get a paycheck....but not a free ride...so they have to use that check to pay for their education just as the millions of other people
[Image: supbullcoc1.jpg]

Collection Completion
GU - 131
AU - 219
1/1 - 25
total - 478
478/858 55.710/100%

We are not talking about all sports. We are talking about football. Someone explain to me how it would hurt anything to let the kids that can, accept money from third parties or get endorsment deals if they pay for there own college.

Dont say, it wont make things even. It already is lopsided.
[Image: Orakpo.jpg]

What has me ticked off is that the University of Missouri which touted Frank Haith(EX Miami & Current Missouri Basketball coach) as an Upstanding Guy with Great Character when they were looking to fill the position. The University of Missouri has made no public statement and according to the scumbag in prison Haith is knee deep in this muck.

Is Haith held accountable since he is not longer at the U?

The NCAA is a mess. The U needs to be punished if these allegations are true.
[Image: stl.jpg]
I build sets, collect Lou Brock & Jeremy Maclin. Both of my sons went to Kirkwood HS with Jeremy. I will also look at Kurt Warner, Big Ben and Old Big Red Auto's.

(08-19-2011, 05:43 PM)bigt314 Wrote: What has me ticked off is that the University of Missouri which touted Frank Haith(EX Miami & Current Missouri Basketball coach) as an Upstanding Guy with Great Character when they were looking to fill the position. The University of Missouri has made no public statement and according to the scumbag in prison Haith is knee deep in this muck.

Is Haith held accountable since he is not longer at the U?

The NCAA is a mess. The U needs to be punished if these allegations are true.
I agree, they really should just get rid of the NCAA and let each school govern themselves, or each conference atlease.
[Image: Orakpo.jpg]

(08-19-2011, 04:56 PM)kvh18 Wrote: it is unamerican to not let them "capitalize" on there hard work and talents.
This is the argument that always cracks me up, LOL

Since when is playing a game or having a contest considered hard work?

There was a report done on how much time is actually spent playing the game compared to commercials, huddles, injuries, etc, and the report concluded that NFL players spend roughly 6 and a half minutes on the field per game, if I can find that report again, I'll post it

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...61406.html

Now if you want to talk to people who actually do, do hard work, then talk to the Policeman, the Ambulance Drivers, the Soldiers, the Construction guy's, plumbers, hair dressers, housewives, teachers, grocery clerks, cashiers, doctor's, lawyers, judges, etc, etc, etc..... Those are hard workers, Football players don't even come close to being a hard worker compared to the people who actually do work for as living.

Football players are handed a free education, to play a game, and then they don't even know how to spell their name correctly when they get out of school, because someone did their homework for them, just so they could play a GAME, then they are handed Millions of dollars, if they make it to the NFL, just to play a game,

As for the Colleges make millions of dollars off the football games, you know who is at fault there, it's us idiots that are stupid enough to buy tickets, to buy the shirts, the hats, etc...., and the funny part is, almost all of these colleges, receive State and Federal money to operate, and here is where the double whammy comes in, that money that comes to the States and Feds for the school to operate, is money they collected from us in the form of taxes, so is that fair?

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

Beautiful post!

BTW,,,,,EAT SH!T PITT! (fellow WVU fan and current student)

(08-19-2011, 05:27 PM)antipitt Wrote: So does everyone one here realize that football and basketball pay for EVERYTHING inside the athletic department? That means women's basketball, track, baseball, softball, swimming, diving, gymnastics, tennis, lacrosse, polo, rifle, hockey, bowling, volleyball, etc. Now you have to pay for all the coaches on those teams as well as the MILLIONS coaches for football and basketball demand.

So the SEC schools make $18 millions each from the TV deal. That doesn't even touch the budget for even Vanderbilts AD and they suck.

Pay the football players and basketball players. What about all the other athletes that make the same sacrifices that happen to not play in the 2 money makers? Do they not deserve the same compensation? What about the schools that don't play in the SEC or Big 10? You know the schools who DON'T make $18 millions from a TV deal. Don't you think that would create a bit of an advantage for about 30 schools?

I am a college graduate and by the time I left I owed about $30,000 to the US government. AND my talents weren't on display EVERY saturday for my dream employer to see me. I don't have any sympathy for the players, they are getting to do what any of us would LOVE to have been able to do. And I don't mean that as any type of slight to the amount of work they have to put in to make grades and still practice. But like the saying goes, nothing worth having is easy.

Now, having said that, Miami should fry for this one. The players involved should pay back the money they accepted, the coaches involved should be fired from whatever school they are at now and Miami should be banned from bowls and TV for at least 5 years.
-Collecting rookie, game-used, and autographed cards of Hall of Famers and future Hall of Famers in baseball, basketball, and football.
-Collecting autographs/cut autos and memorabilia of historic figures.

personally i find it ridic what happened down at that university.i mean people are trying to compare this to the ohio state scandal.someone tell me how its even close?trading memoribilia for autographs can be put in the same category as getting prostitutes bought for u and even a abortion was paid for!!!this guy who seems to have legit info to back up all his claims and actual players who are agreeing with him prolly will bring that college down and bring it down hard.they just met last week and said that colleges who dont abide by the rules are gonna get dealt with very harshely and firm. i do believe that my beloved buckeyes will get hit hard but miami is gonna be punished pretty severely!!and rightfully so. yes it goes on at all schools and all schools should be treated equally but lets face it we live in america ppl are bias some things are gonna be looked at others they will just turn their shoulders its the society we live in
[Image: 864_bucs-josh-freeman-42709-1.jpg]

(08-19-2011, 05:27 PM)antipitt Wrote: So does everyone one here realize that football and basketball pay for EVERYTHING inside the athletic department? That means women's basketball, track, baseball, softball, swimming, diving, gymnastics, tennis, lacrosse, polo, rifle, hockey, bowling, volleyball, etc. Now you have to pay for all the coaches on those teams as well as the MILLIONS coaches for football and basketball demand.

You do actually understand that there are less than 10 NCAA BCS Championship schools that have a profitable athletic department, let alone a profitable football team, right??
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos