`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a major leaguer really sign his own name?

RE: Can a major leaguer really sign his own name?
I am another one who doesn't really care for chicken scratching as an autograph. It may be the most perfect chicken scratching in the history of the planet but if I can't read it or my great great great grandkids can't read it, then how can we tell Barry Bond's autograph from the 1st cavemans dabble?
Member 8670

(08-15-2011, 03:19 PM)_ZENAS_ Wrote: Recognizing signatures involves experience and knowledge of the hobby (as does any other subject within the hobby). In this case, when it comes to autograph recognition, stars of the caliber of Barry Bonds should be widely recognized.

Logic would dictate that the true collectors would have a higher knowledge than average and would therefore be able to identify not only the stars, but many others as well.
Sooooooooo, I am just going off of ^.

I believe I am a TRUE collector and I have logic too but I have never been able to recognize his sig honestly. I can other stars but not his.

If I don't recognize that sig as Barry Bonds, am I not a true fan. Just trying to understand these things that you are saying in and out of your comments.

For the record I had no idea that was Barry Bond's auto...add me to the 'non-fan' committee I guess.

I tend to agree that a signature doesn't need to be legible - as long as it's consistent and becomes the 'mark' of that player. But it's a lot nicer to collect when it is (legible).

And may I issue a stern reminder that attacking other users is not going to be tolerated on this forum.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

(08-15-2011, 02:02 AM)astroburn Wrote: Have you ever thought about being famous and signing stuff multiple times a day? Just for kicks, when we gave out Napa hats at work, I signed a couple with a sharpie (which is harder than it seems on fabric). I have a pretty long last name so I dont even bother signing it. I dont think I've really signed it more than a few times since high school. So even if a player's auto is scribbly, I'd say if its consistent and near the same every time, then that should be what really counts.

Just for kicks, sign your name 20 times in a row and scan it... Lets see how we all do! Here's mine...
[Image: Sig.jpg]

It has looked like this since high school. And in case you cant figure out what it could possibly be, that says "Nathan".
Ha, looks cool. Someone should start a "what does your autograph look like" thread
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

How about Helton's?
[Image: img506.jpg]
[Image: FirstHeltonBanner.jpg]

I Always send extra cards when I trade
Filip Forsberg, Todd Helton, Charlie Blackmon, D.J. LeMahieu, Mikie Mahtook & Ben Paulsen I don't have.

(08-15-2011, 09:36 PM)bustin 5 knots Wrote: Ha, looks cool. Someone should start a "what does your autograph look like" thread
I skip most of the letters in my name when I sign tax returns & stuff...it looks like: Chph E Otf

[Image: scan0001-1.jpg]

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

These are most of the autographed baseball's I have, never got too much into it. I think they are all pretty easy to read though. Well, the front middle and left might give some people a problem if they don't know ahead of time.
[Image: BALLS.jpg]

I think when you are presented with an autograph and told who the signature belongs to, you can then look at the sig and make out what it says, for the most part and it makes sense. If you're given a blank index card with a signature and no hints, it's going to be tougher at times.

I think my signature started to go down the toilet while doing the paperwork to enlist. I'd love to go back and see how many times I signed my name in about 10 minutes.

(08-15-2011, 09:45 PM)ceocards Wrote: I skip most of the letters in my name when I sign tax returns & stuff...it looks like: Chph E Otf

[Image: scan0001-1.jpg]
[Image: sig001-1.jpg]

Silver sharpie was closest pen at the time...I used to actually try to spell out my name, but now my first name is random squiggles
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

I think many collectors don't really care if it is legible, that would be hypocritical of most of us. I know what I want is for it to look like the player actually gives a crap. Guys like SUPERSTAR Vernand Morency(if you don't know look it up) don't care they are just looking for the check. I never thought of it, but perhaps that is why his signature was a check mark.
Collecting Dan Haren,Troy Tulowitzki, Al Rosen, David Christensen, Kevin Elster and Jamal
Anderson(RB)

Kenny Rogers has an extremely neat, legible signature.