`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010 Topps Update case break

2010 Topps Update case break
Since I got back into collecting a year and a half ago it's been one of my cardboard dreams to bust a whole case of a relatively recent product. After much back & forth with myself I decided I couldn't pass up 300 bucks for a case of 2010 Topps Update Jumbos. I'm a basic Topps kind of guy and there's some pretty sweet stuff to pull in 2010 Update, not to mention lots of great rookies (Strasburg, Stanton, Ike Davis, Castro). Here's scans of the highlights:
[Image: box1.gif]
First off I wish Topps had box toppers in all products. Something so simple as a single refractor to start the box off adds a nice touch, makes the box seem a bit more worth the money. My first card in the case was Dayan Viciedo, and I don't even know if he's still in the majors....Anyway the first real pack yielded the Silva black. As a Cardinals fan I thought that might be a bad sign. Also the first pack had 2 million cards in it, which I knew was a bad sign. The box I opened right after the product released was terribly correlated, I had about 50 base dupes, and 10 or so insert dupes. Other than being a pain in the neck completing the set it worked out well for me because I had an extra auto in that box. Anyway, this case turned out to be more bad correlation. More on that later however...First hit of the case was the Strasburg RC patch/500! Nice card, unfortunately right out of the pack has some slightly rough edges, a couple weak corners, and 2 half inch scratches on back. That's a big bummer because I would consider grading this thing to capitalize on Strasmas 2: The Return of Strasburg. The 2 on the pop report are 7.5 and 8.5, so looks like mine's not the only one with problems. But it's still a cool card. Also the Holliday barrel is sweet, I pulled the Pujols in my first box and this one will go nice with it. First box gets an A for Strasburg sweetness, though flawed, and Holliday wood.
[Image: box2.gif]
Could do worse on the black than Reyes & Ramirez. The highlight of course is more sweet Cardinals action. Yeah, he's probably never going to make it back to the majors and I could buy the card for 6 bucks but hey who doesn't like pulling cards of their favorite team? Although I much rather would pull the Posey auto....
[Image: box3.gif]
Nice Castro, and sweet Campanella barrel. Nothing amazing.
[Image: box4.gif]
Jimmie Foxx, Robinson Cano. Nothing amazing but better than commons.
[Image: box5.gif]
Yep, the correlation was even bad in the box topper packs that normally contain one card. Hey I can't complain about extra cards...But one pack had that piece of filler, which I'm used to but not in these jumbo packs. It was the only one, and it's oversized. Anyway...I like the Ike Davis auto. It's no Strasburg or Posey or Heyward, but if Ike bounces back from his injury he could become a darn good player, and I hope he does. Also love Piazza, when I was a kid living in California Piazza was my favorite.
[Image: box6.gif]
Guess I could do worse than Matsui on the black. That's about it, though. If I was an LA fan this would be a nice box. Here's the original backs:
[Image: original.gif]
Some nice ones there. Here's the gold highlights:
[Image: gold.gif]
As you can see I had gold dupes as well, in the same box no less, probably 5 or 6. I was hoping to pull a Strasburg gold (or black!) but some other people probably pulled 2 Strasburg golds in the same box. Here's the best example of the terrible correlation:
[Image: reggie.gif]
That's 8 of the same Reggie Jackson vintage legends card. 8 of them in a 6 box case. That's just silly. I have tons of insert dupes, and many not just 2 but 5 or 6 or 8 of this card. I might further rant on Topps quality control in a separate post on the general board...But regarding this case, despite some quality problems, it was a fun break. A few nice cards, nothing to blow me away (would have loved a pink barrel) but still very enjoyable to spend a couple hours busting packs. Final Strasburg count: 28. That's nearly 5 Strasburgs per box. I was glad that the bad correlation didn't mean I would only get a couple Strasburgs. I know it's just basic Topps but there's 2 certain superstars that had RCs in 2001 Topps Traded that sell very well so here's to hoping Strasburg becomes everything he's hyped up to be. Anyway, thanks for reading my late-night rants and ramblings. I will get to PMing people on the cards they wanted, feel free to reply and remind me what you wanted. I'm willing to take offers on anything, though I'm probably keeping the Strasburgs except maybe the patch card. I would like to recoup a few bucks so I would like to sell but also trading for Ozzie Smith, set needs, or nice Cardinals. Nothing is in organize yet but I will try to get that done tomorrow.
[Image: ozziesmithbanner.jpg]
Always collecting Ozzie Smith!

RE: 2010 Topps Update case break
Nice break. Im with you, I love opening cases up and when their $300 thats even better! I busted a Jumbo case of 2010 Topps Update a month or 2 ago, I know theirs a guy on here who might be intrested in your barrells. Gotta love the Strasburg totals to, you probably hit about 35 in the case?

Oh, and Viciedo is not in the Majors, was a Call up a year or 2 ago. and has been doing pretty well in the Minors this year. Im a big sox fan, and cant wait to see him in the Majors. He just has money blocking his way. (Dunn @ DH, Pierre in left, Rios in Center)
[Image: cars1-1.gif]

Always Looking for Corey Wootton. I also can 50/50 MWL For Autos.

28 Strasburgs in the case. Not bad, would have liked the extras to be the RC rather than the other two, also had a couple dupe Strasburg inserts and then of course the patch. Was the correlation bad in your case as well? I know it's not just my case because the box I opened last year was the same way, just curious how widespread it was. Also Viciedo should be back up soon, at some point the Sox will realize its better to pay Dunn to not play baseball rather than hit under .200.

I think John1580 is the one looking for the Bat Barrels

Willing to trade the Victor Martinez All Star GU card?

Someone is looking for Cubs black cards
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

(08-13-2011, 02:56 PM)phillies816 Wrote: I think John1580 is the one looking for the Bat Barrels
thanks bud

I know for a fact that i need the piazza . I may need the carlos gonzalez too i have to check, but i have the others for sure. Id also be interested in the ike davis auto, and the ike and mike stanton golds. Lmk thanks alot. I 'll check on the cargo barrel right now
(08-13-2011, 06:59 PM)john1580 Wrote: thanks bud

I know for a fact that i need the piazza . I may need the carlos gonzalez too i have to check, but i have the others for sure. Id also be interested in the ike davis auto, and the ike and mike stanton golds. Lmk thanks alot. I 'll check on the cargo barrel right now
dammit...got the cargo too...just need the piazza. But very interested in the other cards i mentioned. As well as any inserts or base i dnt have of the guys in my sig and stanton and tulowitzki. Thanks bud lmk

I'd be interested in trading for US-288 Johnny Venters in quantity

any idea how many you pulled offhand?
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

any of the strasburg cards ft?

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]

Bummer I only pulled one bat barrel you need, such is the way I guess. I will try to get the main stuff into organize tonight. I'm looking to sell first (I need to make a few bucks back on the case so I can buy some cards next month) or I would also trade for nice Ozzie Smith cards. I will consider all offers however before I list anything for auction. And I definitely won't get rid of the Piazza. The only Strasburg for trade/sale is the patch. Victor Martinez is fair game, as is pretty much anything else not Cardinals. I think Venters was not one of those players I pulled large dupes of. I'll have to double check, I put a few players aside as I opened packs, and I think there were 5 Venters. Anyway, everyone just pm me or make offers, I'll try to respond to everyone as timely as possible. After the weekend things get hectic for me so please be patient. Thanks!