`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you collect what you collect?

RE: Why do you collect what you collect?
I collect the Phillies players I like the most which right now is Chase Utley, Cole Hamels, and Hunter Pence. I will collect other Phillies but in lesser numbers. Have gotten somewhat bored just collecting Phillies so I have slowly started collecting Freddie Freeman, Dustin Ackley, Justin Verlander, and Mike Stanton. I'm in awe of Stanton's power, Verlander is the best pitcher in baseball outside Philly IMO, and Dustin Ackley reminds me of Chase Utley with the way he plays, so that's why I collect them. Freddie Freeman I really have no idea about why I'm starting to collect his stuff. There is just something about that kid that has me wanting to grab his cards while they're still at reasonable prices.

(08-11-2011, 12:07 PM)petesahuttt Wrote: Mark Grace....another 1st baseman with a sweet swing, great numbers, overall good guy, the playoff series Cubs/Giants was a highlight, he nearly matched Clark hit for hit.
Too bad he was the only Cub that did anything that series... Sad

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

I collect anything Cleveland related. Indians, Browns, Cavs, Force, Crunch, Aeros, Captains....why you ask? Because I am from Cleveland, plus all teams suck so they are cheap buys!! But the Browns and Indians have a great history so I like finding cool old stuff.

I also collect 1951 Bowman. My father started the set when he was a kid, he collected about 80 of the cards. He passed away in 1990 and I decided to finish the set.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

As my signature suggests, I collect Hall of Famers along with current and retired superstars. When I started collecting in 1970, I raked blueberries to pay for my school clothes and with a paper route sold Grit newspapers and TV Guides on the weekends and spent all of that money on cards. They were five cents a pack then. I put together the entire Topps set. Each year from then on I managed to put the entire set together. When Donruss and Fleer joined the parade in 1981, of course I had to have those too so I bought complete sets. Same with Score the following year and Upper Deck in 1989. I stopped buying packs and bought complete sets until 1993. By then Topps had added Stadium Club, Donruss had added Leaf, and Triple Play, Fleer had added Ultra and Upper Deck had added the Fun Packs and SP and all of the companies were including insert sets. The following year brought Flair and Collector's Choice, and a Ted Williams Company set came out, etc, etc. Where would it all stop? It was too much. At that point I decided I would just concentrate on the Hall of Famers and "future" Hall of Famers from each set and maybe someday get the commons to complete the sets. I've long since given up on the commons but still try to get the HOFers and "future" HOFers. That has left me with a rather long wantlist (which can be found on my website) but I have samples from many different sets and impressive collections of many, many HOFers and other stars.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

i collected the cardboard not anyone or brand when i first started collecting as a kid...when i got back into it as my sons hit 5 or so again it was just the cardboard. now its more bowman and topps especially the last few year, because of the prospect and rookies and reflector cards.. I have been cataloging my collection over the last few weeks and seeing some of the old cards i have. I forgot some of the good pulls i did and placed away. good to see them all again and see how some of the rookie topps card, especially,updated versions, had gained in price. nice also to see all the hof'rs going through the old topps cards of the 80's and 90's.
baseball

I like rare cards that is unknown. Cards not intended for public release and has no verified background information, no Bv, no sales reports, no hype. Finding information about the cards makes them more interesting.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

Griffey- because I've been an absolute Junior fanatic since I was old enought to say the word baseball(yes I even have a Junior tattoo on my back lol Tongue )

Andrew McCutchen/Pedro Alvarez- because living in Pittsburgh I've also been a diehard Buccos fan even though I was 5 the last time they had a winning season and I truly believe these 2 guys are the future of the team and will take them back to the playoffs

[Image: Pirates_AlavarezMcCutchen.jpg]

I collect Manny Ramirez. I became hooked on him ever since my grandmother and I met him at a local barber shop here in cleveland. He signed an autograph for me and signed and paid for my grandmothers perm bc it was her birthday. I watched manny play every chance I got. When I played baseball I would copy his moves and his swings and use it when I played.lol. I will say I don't agree with his choices he has made,but i'll always respect him as a person and he will always be one of the best to ever swing the bat.
[Image: ge_zpse4f470b2.jpg]
Wanted: Indians, Cavs, Rookies, Inserts,Lebron and Kyrie.

I live in New York but I collect Cardinals. My first World Series that I watched as a young lad was in 1982 when the Cards won the series. Hooked on the Redbirds ever. Nearing 600 Pujols cards, 150 Wainwright, 150 Carpenter, 200 Yadier, just to name a few. Just got into collecting vintage over the past few years. It's pretty cool owning cards that I never thought I would as a kid. I remember looking at a Beckett and wishing to own a vintage Musial or Gibson. Now I have dozens of them...
PC: Cardinal Parallels/Rainbows of Pujols, Chris Carpenter, Molina, Lankford, Gibson, Musial, and Cardinal Prospects

I think I've mentioned this quite a few times. I collect Votto because he is the best hitter on my favorite team (his 2009 season made me love him so much), I collect McLouth because of his 2008 heroics to help my fantasy team win that year (stupid reason, but oh well) and I always liked Marlon Byrd because I always thought he was underrated, and when I figured out he had my birthday I liked him even more.
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)