Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I learned at the National:

What I learned at the National:
Wow,
I have the good fortune of being stationed at Great Lakes Naval Base a scant 20 minutes from Rosemont and last weeks National Sports Card Convention. As it turns out this is another notch in a lucky year that also will be my last in a 20 year career in the World's greatest Armed Forces.

- The national convention was overwhleming beyond anything I ever expected. Aside from the huge Auction House displays, Card Company Booths, big name sellers and Autograph booths there was something for everyone. I walked the floor for two full days and did not even see the booth my LCS set up.

- In my opinion there was more vintage then modern era for both baseball and football. I never imagined I would see so many Mickey Mantle cards, Jim Brown Rookies or Tobacco cards scattered around every booth. It made my meager collection seem smaller and smaller with every booth I visited.

- I realized that I am to darn old fashioned for modern era sports cards. Price of boxes, price of singles and the price of current players being inflated to huge amounts just put me off when compared to the price of amazing vintage cards such as Walter Payton and Joe Namath.

- Without much thought and on more of an impulse I sold all my SP Authentic Autos and any other modern card that was worth a darn laying around my house.

With some extra money in my pocket I got back to my roots and managed to do the following:

1) Complete my Topps football card sets from 1967, 1968, 1969, 1974 and 1975.

2) Upgrade many star cards for those sets including: 69 Csonka, 68 & 70 Namath, 70 Simpson, 75 Swann, and many others.

3) Purchase/Trade for an autographed card of my all time sports hero Muhammad Ali from the 2011 Leaf set. (this now fits perfect with my 2 Fight worn and 2 Event worn cards from the set)

In the end I was happy beyoned words with the show. It reminded me of what I really enjoy about collecting sports cards.
- 20 years ago there was only ONE true rookie card, one card company and a card was not able to be inflated to 100 Times its worth buy a company printing 1/1 on it.

I am back to my roots now and will focus on the following: Upgrading my 55 All American Master set and improving my Run of Topps cards from 1967 to 1984.

This is in no way a dig or jab on modern Sports cards, I simpley realized they are "not for me" and the show helped me see that.

Sorry to bore you all, just my 2 cents on the hobby....
Jeff

RE: What I learned at the National:
I nominate you for "Post of the Year" !!! Smile

excellent, insightful, and to the point ..... sounds like you had a great time Smile

Yeah, I think there were WAY too many vintage booths. I was trying to find a card for each of my PC's (Jamaal Charles, Joe Crede, Rajon Rondo) and the only rondo card I could find was a six way patch auto with some other guys for $600!!!!
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

Hey Jeff do you have the Choo Choo Justice 55 All American card? I saw it when I was looking for his rookie card and I almost got it instead!Sweet looking vintage card and def a nice set if its the one i'm thinking of!

Very good input and a great way to view the hobby as a whole. To me it is sad that a true RC of a older hall of fame player has a value lower than a rc that just came out and has "yet" to prove themselves. Glad to see you going back to what makes you happy. That is what collecting is about.

Also keep me in mind for any other newer autos you feel like parting with, being as how I used my 7000th post on your thread... lol
[Image: Mic_SPA_Banner1.jpg]

Wow Jeff I'm floored I bout fell out of my chair when I read SOLD MY SPA but hey I'm glad you seem to have found a new passion or revived the old passion in the hobby. Was starting to wonder if you got lost at the show hadn't heard from you in a while. Hope you get your sets complete and more importantly have fun doing it.
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

Sweet right up Jeff...and touche on your points. Aside from the Jacquizz PC I've been looking at only RCs of players 2006 - ish and earlier. Not liking all the variations and inflations.
[Image: BeckettBanner.jpg]

Jacquizz PC
Total = (259/354) 73%
Total minus 1/1 = (236/252) 94%

Thanks for the quick input from so many great members.
To be honest, I just can not afford to collect modern cards. I love the look of some of the products but when I look at the fact I can spend 125 on a box and "maybe" get a 10 dollar auto and some base nobody wants when compared to the fact I can get sweet high end vintage card I know I will cherish my choice was obvious.

Aside from that it is much easier to chase a vintage set and then spend years hunting and pecking for updgrades..

@ Mik I have a few left, what I have is yours. Will get them out soon.

@ Jdetter I love the Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice Card. I have spent so much time looking at those All American Cards that I almost have each bio memorized. I love some of the nicknames and the fact so many of those cards are either "Un Politically Correct" or just plain silly.

@ Lump I am sorry I did not give you first crack at any of them but it was an impulse and I needed to move the sets.

@ PBean (and company) thanks, you are right I had an amazing time. Like you I was able to bring my son on day two of the show, with the extra cash in my pocket I was able buy him some leggo toys and funny cards (he is still not into Sports cards yet)

To be honest, I am lovin this hobby choice.
Even something small like finding a lot of 1978 Common cards feels better then busting a box only to get a low tier auto. I am also looking forward to saving up some money for some sweet rookie cards of Hobby greats like Payton etc... They may not be worth the Money or have the memoribillia/autos but for a small timer like myself nothing beats vintage.

Hey dont worry about me brother im down to just the Berry. I'm more glad that you found fun in the hobby and how enthused you are than i would be with any cards. congrats brother
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

I myself am not a fan of the vintage cards, but I completely understand where you are coming from. Prices for the newer products has gotten way out of control. I feel it's partially fueled by the huge box prices we're seeing nowadays. It's hard to get your hands on a decent pack of cards for under $30 with most pushing $75-100 for a single pack.

Gone are the days of being happy pulling a base card of your guy or your team...now we all want a 15 break, 8 color patch with an on-card auto that is /25 or less. It's kind of sad. I know it has ruined the hobby for me...

I hope you find happiness in completing and upgrading your favorite sets. That's what this is all about afterall--being happy!
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos