`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Value on this? Len Bias Auto... DATED

Value on this? Len Bias Auto... DATED
First post on the basketball board... hi everyone! Need some assistance for a friend....

About three years ago, I moved to College Park, MD. I'm not a student at UMD... I work for the government. One of my softball buddies told his dad that I dabble in sports cards and memorabilia. He asked if I could help him value something for him.

Today, his dad took me to his bank so he could get into his safety deposit bank. When he came back into the lobby of the bank, I almost hit the floor.

Here's the story....

My buddy's dad was running errands in College Park on June 18, 1986. He went to the post office to mail some stuff and then went to the liquor store in College Par - Town Hall Liquors. While there, he ran into Len Bias with a couple other guys. As he had just been drafted, my buddy's dad asked for an autograph. The only paper he had for Len to sign was his receipt from the post office. Bias just signed his signature (no # UMD or Celtics), BUT the post office receipt is dated - June 18, 1986 (the day before Len died.

If you watched the ESPN 30/30 on Len Bias, it is mentioned that he did go to that liquor store on that day. ESPN even used footage of the store owner being interviewed. He got an autograph and said that others in the store had done the same. I am as skeptical as anyone... but this seems pretty legit.

I don't have a pic or scan... my buddy's dad put it back in the safety deposit box (didn't have my phone on me). I told him to get it authenticated (JSA).

Once it gets authenticated (in person... no mailing this thing)... he wanted a ballpark on value because he was thinking of selling it at some point in the future. I thought I would ask you guys because I don't really do basketball.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks everyone.

RE: Value on this? Len Bias Auto... DATED
It's nearly impossible to put an accurate value on such an item. However, if it gets authenticated by a reputable company, it'll definitely go for $1,000+.

Authenticated- it will fetch the $1000-$2000

like it is- $500 if your lucky
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

If authenticated and with that story and ESPN documentary info with it then yeah I would say at least $1000 at a reputable auction house like Heritage Auctions, or even Beckett auctions.

i honestly think if it does get authenticated its worth 2000+

Thank you, everyone, for your input. So we're looking at around 1 - 2K if authenticated...

That's a jumping-off point... I didn't really know where to tell him to start. Any other opinions are welcome. Thanks again!

I know I may get mocked for asking this question but who is Len Bias? I am a huge basketball fan but this name does not ring a bell.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(08-09-2011, 06:36 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: I know I may get mocked for asking this question but who is Len Bias? I am a huge basketball fan but this name does not ring a bell.
I won't mock you, but someone may. You must be fairly young....

Len Bias was an all-american basketball player at the University of Maryland. He was a year or two older than Michael Jordan... they payed against each other in college. He was picked by the Boston Celtics in the NBA draft (#2 overall pick) but died two days later of a cardiac arrhythmia caused by cocaine intoxication. This autograph (if the story is true and authentic) may very well be the last one he signed before he died. The date on the post office receipt authenticates that it was (at the least) signed on the last full day of his life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Bias

(08-09-2011, 06:41 PM)wmrklemm78 Wrote: I won't mock you, but someone may. You must be fairly young....

Len Bias was an all-american basketball player at the University of Maryland. He was a year or two older than Michael Jordan... they payed against each other in college. He was picked by the Boston Celtics in the NBA draft (#2 overall pick) but died two days later of a cardiac arrhythmia caused by cocaine intoxication. This autograph (if the story is true and authentic) may very well be the last one he signed before he died. The date on the post office receipt authenticates that it was (at the least) signed on the last full day of his life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Bias
Haha thanks for the explanation. I am 28, but was 3 when this story took place haha!

[Image: Nick.jpg]

$2500-$5000. this is almost priceless
 photo 7dbbff6f-c806-4600-9a7a-188e4785bb3a.jpg