`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of the 2009-10 NHL Season from my Newspaper Scrapbook

Review of the 2009-10 NHL Season from my Newspaper Scrapbook
The 2009-10 NHL season was a memorable one for me for many reasons, and I saved clippings from Nova Scotia's main newspaper The Chronicle Herald from the beginning in September 2009 until the end in June 2010. The clippings fill four Ultra Pro 2009-10 Hockey binders that feature an Upper Deck photo of Ovechkin on the front.

In this thread I am going to relive that year using quotes and stats from the newspaper, mixed with 2010-11 hockey card scans and information pertaining to events that took place that year. I hope to generate lots of discussion so feel free to join in.

In order to avoid copyright infringements, I will not post scans of the newspaper articles but when I use quotes from the paper I will provide a full credit (for example, "Leafs search for ways to end 'depressing' start", by Shi Davidi, The Canadian Press, printed in The Chronicle Herald, 12 October 2009).

Cheers, Spud

Photobucket: http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae140/mrspudhead98/
I enjoy Beckett but I don't trade cards anymore.
Favorite quotes "... it will be reported to Canada Rev."
(A966567760846SVermont8911CCC346.1).

RE: Review of the 2009-10 NHL Season from my Newspaper Scrapbook
Looking forward to it Spud!

(07-27-2011, 06:17 AM)mrspudhead Wrote: The 2009-10 NHL season was a memorable one for me for many reasons, and I saved clippings from Nova Scotia's main newspaper The Chronicle Herald from the beginning in September 2009 until the end in June 2010. The clippings fill four Ultra Pro 2009-10 Hockey binders that feature an Upper Deck photo of Ovechkin on the front.

In this thread I am going to relive that year using quotes and stats from the newspaper, mixed with 2010-11 hockey card scans and information pertaining to events that took place that year. I hope to generate lots of discussion so feel free to join in.

In order to avoid copyright infringements, I will not post scans of the newspaper articles but when I use quotes from the paper I will provide a full credit (for example, "Leafs search for ways to end 'depressing' start", by Shi Davidi, The Canadian Press, printed in The Chronicle Herald, 12 October 2009).

Cheers, Spud
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

Great idea Spud, look forward to the read and comments. Might be more approuate to have this thread in the sports talk section. Smile

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS

Will start discussion after lunchhour soccer. What is the 'sports talk section'? Spud

(07-27-2011, 08:23 AM)bluefrozencanuck Wrote: Great idea Spud, look forward to the read and comments. Might be more approuate to have this thread in the sports talk section. Smile

[Image: Certified.jpg]

On Tuesday, 29 September 2009, The Chronicle Herald included the upcoming NHL schedule in it's sports section. Four games would kick off the 2009-10 season with Washington at Boston, Montreal at Toronto, San Jose at Colorado, and Vancouver at Calgary on Thursday, 1 October 2009.

Several players had announced their retirement from the game including Joe Sakic, Jeremy Roenick, Claude Lemieux, Olaf Kolzig, Theoren Fleury, Patrice Brisebois, Mike Sillinger, and Jason Smith. Joe Sakic's number 19 would be officially retired at the San Jose-Colorado game.

On Wednesday, 30 September 2009, a short article was printed in The Chronicle Herald entitled "Crosby practises, expects to play opener on Friday", by The Associated Press. The article reported that Crosby, after suffering a groin injury during a pre-season game in Columbus, was back at practice. Max Talbot also appeared at practice after surgury on his shoulder. Our Nova Scotia newspaper covers a lot of Penguins news given that Crosby is our hometown hero. Mellon Arena would have a new Stanley Cup banner raised during the Penguins home-opener against the Rangers on Friday, 2 October 2009. Spud

Finally the 2009-10 NHL opening night with the Habs vs Leafs followed by Canucks vs Flames on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). The Chronicle Herald carried three main story lines that day: the Leafs-Canadiens opener, Mat Sundin retires, and Sakic's jersey raised to the rafters at Pepsi Center.

In an article by Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press entitled "NHL season kicks off tonight on four fronts" he notes that neither the Leafs nor the Habs were starting the season with a captain, and that the Leafs' expectation for the current season was to qualify for post-season play. Good luck Leafs!

The raising of Sakic's number was captured in the Score Highlights card below, and I have included his O-Pee-Chee rookie card from my father's collection. On the back of his rookie card it says Sakic scored his first two hat tricks in the 1988-89 season against the Islanders on 22 October 1988, and the Habs on 24 November 1988.

[Image: O-Pee-Chee.jpg]

The sports talk section is further down the list of forums, geared more to talk about the sport, as opposed to the hobby. Don't know that it really matters.

Maybe the Mod can move this thread there. I'll not post anymore until I hear from him! Thanks, Spud

(07-27-2011, 05:18 PM)bluefrozencanuck Wrote: The sports talk section is further down the list of forums, geared more to talk about the sport, as opposed to the hobby. Don't know that it really matters.

I do enjoy the read so far interesting to get a refresh of the events of last season, as well as the cards to illustrate. Good job Spud, keep up the good work.
Blue