`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Thomas odd ball Promo card?

Frank Thomas odd ball Promo card?
Anyone have interest in this? or can even identify what this card is. I have had it forever. Here is a front and back scan of it. I can't even find any ebay currently or completed

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finder's Fee for these cards if I obtain them(NO EBAY or COMC).

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic,

RE: Frank Thomas odd ball Promo card?
I believe it was a promo for the Leaf set in 1993? I think. It was for the set that had the "Frank" insert set.

Its an unlicensed "broder" card.
Wont be listed in any guide and only has any type of value to a thomas collector.

Still cool lookin

Unlicensed pirate card.....fake made up in someones basement. A lof of those popped up in the 90's and they usually sold for around $5 each.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

These guys are correct. This is in fact an unlicensed card that was put out in the 90s. It has no value really except to guys like myself. I have this though! I don't recall it ever even going for $5 but a lot of dealers had them at shows for $1 etc. They were an easy sell to a collector at the time because guys needed them and super collectors wanted every card. As we all know in the 90s Super collectors were not as rare as today.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

(07-26-2011, 01:17 PM)newfiecomicguy1 Wrote: Unlicensed pirate card.....fake made up in someones basement. A lof of those popped up in the 90's and they usually sold for around $5 each.
Actually your wrong. It was a promo card for the 1993 leaf set. I work at a card shop and i have 1,000's of promo cards in my collection. This particular card was a insert that was going to be used but later scrapped. These were handed out to card dealers to show what the cards would look like in hopes they would order them. The version that is used now in the 1993 leaf set is the version they stuck with. The back can be deceiving and look like a "pirated" card but they never did a full production of these cards and just did a basic back. They were trying to sell the front and not the back.
[Image: rm1_zpsecc24267.jpg]

Interesting, thanks for the info. I know most of the pirated cards didn't have as nice of a photo as that one. They usually had a chrome or bronze boarder around them.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

(07-26-2011, 01:29 PM)yankeeempire Wrote: Actually your wrong. It was a promo card for the 1993 leaf set. I work at a card shop and i have 1,000's of promo cards in my collection. This particular card was a insert that was going to be used but later scrapped. These were handed out to card dealers to show what the cards would look like in hopes they would order them. The version that is used now in the 1993 leaf set is the version they stuck with. The back can be deceiving and look like a "pirated" card but they never did a full production of these cards and just did a basic back. They were trying to sell the front and not the back.
Actually, it IS an unlicensed card and not from Leaf. If they were from Leaf they would have included some kind of TRADEMARK information so that no other card companies could copy the card. In fact if you look closely you will notice that the card in question is just a photocopy of the back of the 1993 Leaf card that was cropped so that the WhiteSox team logo was removed since it was done in reflective foil on the Leaf card and wouldn't copy over as well. The gold foil autograph was added to make the card look more interesting to collectors (because back in 1993 gold foil was a big attraction on cards).

Check out the following link for pictures of the official Promo cards that Frank Thomas was on in 1993.
http://frankthomaspromos.com/1993.html

Here is more information regarding the 1993 Leaf Frank Thomas promo:
http://www.frankthomascollection.com/93_Leaf_Promo.html
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(07-26-2011, 04:02 PM)djohn Wrote: Actually, it IS an unlicensed card and not from Leaf. If they were from Leaf they would have included some kind of TRADEMARK information so that no other card companies could copy the card. In fact if you look closely you will notice that the card in question is just a photocopy of the back of the 1993 Leaf card that was cropped so that the WhiteSox team logo was removed since it was done in reflective foil on the Leaf card and wouldn't copy over as well. The gold foil autograph was added to make the card look more interesting to collectors (because back in 1993 gold foil was a big attraction on cards).

Check out the following link for pictures of the official Promo cards that Frank Thomas was on in 1993.
http://frankthomaspromos.com/1993.html

Here is more information regarding the 1993 Leaf Frank Thomas promo:
http://www.frankthomascollection.com/93_Leaf_Promo.html
+1 Love the analysis. I am going with your theory. It def looks like a unlicensed cropped card of the one you mentioned.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Finder's Fee for these cards if I obtain them(NO EBAY or COMC).

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic,