`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The evolution of rookie cards...

The evolution of rookie cards...
So I was walking by the LCS the other day, and I had $25 burning a hole in my pocket. I was done with this year's SPA, so I picked up 5 packs of last year's product.

The hit? A gorgeous 3 color Erik Karlsson Future Watch patch. Scan to follow, if you'd like.

I didn't know too much about Karlsson other than the fact that he was an All Star. I read up on him and thought to myself, "this kid might be the next Lidstrom!" And then I thought about the long-term value of a rookie card.*

*Knowing full well that the Future Watch patch autograph is not an officially designated "rookie card" Wink

Then I thought to myself, "what if the key rookie cards of yesteryear, relegated to dustbins, clearance shelves in Toys R Us, and our jumbled closets, had featured autographs and patches?"

Think of all those millions upon hideous millions of Jagr Premier rookies, Lindros Score rookies, and Bure Upper Deck rookie cards. Aside from the odd exception, like highly-graded Brodeur Score rookie cards, these pieces of cardboard are worthless. But what if they were serially numbered to 100 and autographed? What if some had patches?

Imagine owning a 1991-92 Nicklas Lidstrom /100 Future Watch patch autograph. And the fun of watching him continue his career!

I offer you guys the floor to imagine and discuss. What would a Lindros patch autograph be worth? What about someone like a Sundin, a great player that has moved on from the hockey landscape? Would it be as sought-after as a Stamkos or even an unproven gem like Richards/Carter/Kessel/Paul Stastny/etc???

RE: The evolution of rookie cards...
that is what happen in the late 80's and early 90's

kind of killed the hobby for a bit as well...

but looking at rookie cards now compare to then again remember when the UD game jerseys was pretty rare, not a lot of folks get upset with a box, if the autograph or mem card isn't of a big player

it is a hobby, but I understand where you coming from. Think about a Joe Sakic rookie card that books for X dollars... image his rookie card in todays standards (like a product like the cup or panini high end product coming out)
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

I just wonder about long-term value. The luxury of having auto/patch/jersey rookies seems to solidify value.

Example: a 1986-87 o pee chee patrick roy is nice. But I have a feeling that 5-10 years down the line, there won't be much of a price change.

Whereas a Stamkos patch autograph will multiply in value as the years go by.

Perhaps because it's gone from being simply a "rookie card" piece of card board to a collectible piece of history?

i have had the EXACt same thoughts as u angle my friend, for example every time i look at my oilers' rcs i think to myself 'what if the players from the 80s dynasties had #'d rcs!!' - look how crazy we are for the oilers rookies this year...imagine a cup au patch rc of the great one...
Collecting:
2010-11 spgu championship marks, ice, 2008-09 BAP rc's including xrc's
Need: Score rc - Stepan
Photobucket:
http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609...eshootout/

[Image: ltso4-1.gif]

I only started adding to my Father's collection four years ago and each year had to make decisions on what I should collect. This year, 2010-11, I found my interest. As a set collector I decided to collect one Panini and one Upper Deck product. I chose Certified (but stopped when the price climbed) and Artifacts. Because I like today's rookie cards, I decided to collect as many as I could. I have to say that collecting the rookies has been a lot of fun and I plan to do this every year from now on. I have scanned about 850 RC's into my database and am updating my Org with RC's only, as they have become my main interst this summer. With Luxury Suite out and Zenith, Dominion, Ultimate and Cup to come, I still have lots to collect. One of my local friend will be opening a case of Dominion and has promised me the rookies (at least 6) and I know I'll get several more from the other products from local collectors and maybe here on Beckett if I can find cards to trade. Spud
Photobucket: http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae140/mrspudhead98/
I enjoy Beckett but I don't trade cards anymore.
Favorite quotes "... it will be reported to Canada Rev."
(A966567760846SVermont8911CCC346.1).