`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Fair...

Is It Fair...
Is it fair to call a card that you pull out of a pack "MINT (9)" if it is not graded? After years of collecting comics I recently bought a friends collection. I'm going through the painful process of inventorying all the cards and even though they look to be in great shape I'm hesitant to classify any card as 'mint' if it isn't graded. I see a lot of cards in collections that say "MINT" or people looking for mint cards. Considering the value difference between Mint (9) and Near Mint (8) I would think it important to get what you pay for. On every card I own I don't go higher than near mint (8) unless it is a graded card because I don't consider myself qualified enough to be able to spot and say a card is a better grade. Thoughts?
Dave J.

Collecting current and former Georgia Tech sports stars, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., and Albert Pujols

RE: Is It Fair...
for sure, you cant advertise with a numeric value, as it suggests a graded item.

this is a tough call.i think if it comes out of the pack/box and there are no major signs of damage then its fair to call it mint.imo
[Image: griffeyjr.jpg]

8.5 is the typical expectation.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

If the card looks close to mint and directly from a pack, I use the term raw mint.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I would probably use near mint/mint if that is what you think it is. I would never use a graded term if it is not graded. Better just to take a good pictures and have them judge for themselves.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

Personally, I have most of my cards listed as mint in my organize. Part of that is because I dont have access to my org anymore, but thats beside the point.

Whenever I trade with someone, I always inspect the cards that I am about to send out and tell the trade partner the condition that I think the card is in, but if they are not satisfied with the condition, they can send it back no questions asked and it can be replaced or the trade can be canceled.

I think it just makes things easier.
[Image: bWSA7.png]
Collecting: Alfonso Soriano and Boston Red Sox

exactly why i love scanners. Generally i don't ask for scans though unless its vintage, then its a must!
[Image: mdavison.jpg]
[Image: PCcards001.jpg]

Another question on condition... As part of the collection I bought I have several binders with sets in them and they have cards in their own sleeves in the binder pages. When you store cards in a binder in the protective pages, do you store them just in the page sleeves or do you put them in their own bags and then put them in the binder? I ask because I have a binder of a base set of the 2005 SP Legendary Cuts but it is just the cards in the binder pages. In an older binder where there were cards in sleeves I have found that sometimes the binder page sticks to the card bag and it makes getting the card and bag out of the binder difficult (when you're trying to be careful). My concern is that in 10 years (exaggerating for the sake of argument) that in binders where I haven't put cards in sleeves prior to putting them in the binder that the cards will stick to the binder pages...and that would be bad. So do you individually sleeve or just store them in the binder naked?
Dave J.

Collecting current and former Georgia Tech sports stars, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., and Albert Pujols

I mark all of my newer cards 8.5 unless there is damage.
Royals Super Collector; PC's of Paul Splittorff, George Brett, Mike Sweeney