`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for those with vintage buying experience.

Question for those with vintage buying experience.
Ok, so I got bored last night and decided to email on a Craig's list ad for a vintage card lot. He sent me the spreadsheet and WOW. Just the HOF'ers I priced out added up to $57k BV. I would estimate the whole lot to be somewhere in the $75k range. Let me put this in perspective- he has 759 1956 Topps cards, including 9 Hank Aarons, 4 Jackie Robinsons, 4 Ted Williams, 2 Willie Mays, etc. (Only one copy of Mickey Mantle though, haha.)

My question is this- obviously no one is going to pay full BV for a collection of this size, and condition is still unknown. What can one reasonably expect to pay for an entire collection like this as a percentage of BV? He told me what the other "take it or leave it" bid is, and I think it is very low, so I am wanting to make sure I am not screwing myself over.

Thank you!

RE: Question for those with vintage buying experience.
What is he asking for it?
[Image: fgdfdgdfgdfgdf.jpg]
CARD COUNT: (Met cards - 15655)      (Piazza - 1610)      (Wright - 759)

He is just taking bids on it. All the cards are from 1952-1961. The most he has from one set is the 1956 Topps I listed above. The crown jewel is a 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams. I won't list BV here, but you can look it up if you have OPG. :-)

What was the bid? I think in any condition good or above you could be looking at a nice collection. However condition is everything. A $100 Nm-mt is a $10 in good condition. That said you 75k could be 7500 very easily.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

Ok, I will let the cat out of the bag- the bid was $8k! I mean, come on! I thought that was low-balling, but I wanted to make sure the other guy didn't know something I didn't.....

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I can buy these for what I would expect them to sell for. Assuming they are in relatively good condition (grade out at a 4-5+), is it unreasonable to think this guy should be asking $30k or better?

at that price, it makes me wonder about condition and reprints

Yeah, I haven't seen them, but it is an old guy and he really has no idea what he had. He has never tried to sell them before. He hasn't priced them in at least 20 years. I am confident they are not reprints, but the condition is my question. I am going to look at them this weekend to tell for sure. I guess what I am asking is: if this were YOUR collection, and everything graded out at a 4.5-5 so the BV's were true- what would YOU ask for it?

1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams in PSA 3-5 shape will get you at least 1500 by itself