`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1989-90 Topps Randy Cunneyworth Error?

1989-90 Topps Randy Cunneyworth Error?
Can anyone tell me what the error on the following card is? Sometimes they list the error in the OPG but not this card. Any help?

http://www.beckett.com/hockey/1989-90/to...rr-1272926
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

RE: 1989-90 Topps Randy Cunneyworth Error?
(06-24-2011, 02:48 PM)krn001 Wrote: Can anyone tell me what the error on the following card is? Sometimes they list the error in the OPG but not this card. Any help?

http://www.beckett.com/hockey/1989-90/to...rr-1272926
This card was mentioned in Beckett Issue 1, just a little blurb on the last page. The regular card shows him with an airbrushed Winnipeg Jets jersey over the pittsburgh jersey he was wearing in the picture (and a bad airbrush job at that, LOL), whereas the error card showed him in his pittsburgh penguins jersey without the airbrushed Jets jersey.

However, a copy of that card has never been seen so the hobby's consensus is that it does not exist. Most likely if it DOES exist it is a proof card that belongs to some Topps employee or executive with probably only 1-3 copies in existence.

In other words: forget about it, it's a mistake on beckett's part from WAY back in the day

(06-24-2011, 03:14 PM)cheatinc Wrote: This card was mentioned in Beckett Issue 1, just a little blurb on the last page. The regular card shows him with an airbrushed Winnipeg Jets jersey over the pittsburgh jersey he was wearing in the picture (and a bad airbrush job at that, LOL), whereas the error card showed him in his pittsburgh penguins jersey without the airbrushed Jets jersey.
Thanks, i was going thru a bunch of early 90's hockey which i'm clearing out & will ck the opg to see if anything is worth saving. They could have listed the error as PPG uniform or something to help people distinguish error/corrected cards.
Thanks again, Karl
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,

(06-24-2011, 04:29 PM)krn001 Wrote: Thanks, i was going thru a bunch of early 90's hockey which i'm clearing out & will ck the opg to see if anything is worth saving. They could have listed the error as PPG uniform or something to help people distinguish error/corrected cards.
Thanks again, Karl
it is listed as such only in their annual price guide bible. in my opinion, it should be removed completely from all price guides, since like I said, its' existence is very doubtful.

As far as early 90s hockey, that was the decade of overproduction so very few cards are worth more than the cardboard they were printed on but they're now finally starting to get a bit of trade value since people who are getting into the hobby now are going back to try and build those sets too, and it was also the beginning of certified autographed cards, so those are very valuable.

(06-24-2011, 05:00 PM)cheatinc Wrote: it is listed as such only in their annual price guide bible. in my opinion, it should be removed completely from all price guides, since like I said, its' existence is very doubtful.

As far as early 90s hockey, that was the decade of overproduction so very few cards are worth more than the cardboard they were printed on but they're now finally starting to get a bit of trade value since people who are getting into the hobby now are going back to try and build those sets too, and it was also the beginning of certified autographed cards, so those are very valuable.
I went thru a lot of 90's hockey & did a quick look on the opg, when the majority of what i had was worth .05 it didn't take long to decide on clearing them out.

i have a 1989-90 err car of randy cunneyworth the difference is in the front the team title isn't winnipeg jets my card is pittsburgh penguins I able to have this in duplicate

(12-16-2011, 08:44 PM)loyerracing Wrote: i have a 1989-90 err car of randy cunneyworth the difference is in the front the team title isn't winnipeg jets my card is pittsburgh penguins I able to have this in duplicate
I'd love to see a scan/picture of it...
Slamming down the Haterade since 2008-09...

i think I have one in a box somewhere but not sure where it is

if i know where it is, i would post the scan of it
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

[Image: Randy-Cunneyworth-(Error-Pittsburgh-Peng...e=original]
1989-90 Topps #63A - Randy Cunneyworth (Error: Pittsburgh Penguins on Front)
Sorry for the massive necro-bump, but some here may be interested in what i found on http://www.comc.com/Cards/Hockey/1989-90...nt)/138417
Slamming down the Haterade since 2008-09...

Now that's some interesting research. Thanks!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.