Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When do you LET GO?

When do you LET GO?
No I am not dumping all of my Palmer Auto's settle down folks Tongue

Just wondering though..Now if I used Ryan Leaf as an example, I'm sure I'd hear from all the marketing guru's that dumped him at the right time,,,so....let's use a current player and see when would you let go. Collectors usually longer but how long does a "Prospector" (as I call them)

Tony Romo RC Auto's and BGS9's and up.

Romo, IMO is not an Elite QB nor HOF material. If you have one of his or pull one of his just how long do you expect High Book on it and does it take an injury, benching, team trade or what to make you come down in asking price?
Even a step further..You overpaid when he was hot, hoping to get more when he got hotter and he doesn't?

If you want to trade, I need DC and a padded mailer at a minimum. Rarely do I collect or trade for anything other than Bengals/Jaguars and some Cowboys.
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/...0Football/

RE: When do you LET GO?
From a prospecting perspective, I think you start dumping the second said player has a great year and his stuff explodes... So, for rookies, 2nd and 3rd year (from a purely prospecting prospective).
I collect Peyton Manning and Griffey Jr.
My Bucket: http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/soccerscrub78
[Image: manning-griffeybanner2.jpg]

My philosophy is I don't buy when they first come out. Most all RC autos are overpriced. In the beginning I either pull it, look for it on the Bay in my price range or I don't get it. I wait till the hype is over then buy. And I normally don't get rid of my autos. Even if there not HOFers I like to have at least one auto of players I like. Just my opinion Big Grin

I think buying in to someone and overpaying (some cases WAY overpaying, see Reggie Bush and Vince Young) causes people to hold on to their cards longer than they should. Prospecting means winning and losing, so sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and dump them when that guy shows signs of decent play. Romo's stuff had to be hottest when the Cowboys made their run to the playoffs a couple years back, that would have been the time.

Now, you need to hope for a GREAT season to see his stuff return to the height of sales. Although, Cowboys fans are a strange group... Wink
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

(06-24-2011, 09:36 AM)soccerscrub Wrote: From a prospecting perspective, I think you start dumping the second said player has a great year and his stuff explodes... So, for rookies, 2nd and 3rd year (from a purely prospecting prospective).
+1
WANTED: Indian Larry American Biker Auto
[Image: 1393873061.jpg]
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Seaw0lf/library/

(06-24-2011, 09:47 AM)ricky williams 34 Wrote: I think buying in to someone and overpaying (some cases WAY overpaying, see Reggie Bush and Vince Young) causes people to hold on to their cards longer than they should. Prospecting means winning and losing, so sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and dump them when that guy shows signs of decent play. Romo's stuff had to be hottest when the Cowboys made their run to the playoffs a couple years back, that would have been the time.

Now, you need to hope for a GREAT season to see his stuff return to the height of sales. Although, Cowboys fans are a strange group... Wink
Yes we are and if there are any Romo's on the chopping block, just lmk! Tongue
[Image: IMG_0004-3-1-1-1-1.jpg][Image: dcb5423c-6775-419e-9e21-4965884632ba.jpg]

I was thinking about this a couple of night ago when looking thru the base set from 2007 Artifacts. That was the last year my teenaged sons got into collecting with me. There are a lot of fond memories of some of those pulls.

When looking at the base 100 veterans, most of those players are out of the league or with another team. The rookies weren't much better.

That was 4 years ago.

Reminds you of how quickly these players come and go.

From a collector/fan perspective, you probably get rid of it to make room or when you've lost interest. Of course, that's not about profit but getting some of your original investment back or getting money/trade for something you are currently interested in.

From a prospector's standpoint, you sell immediately when and while the player is hot. Interest will fade almost as quickly. By then, you've moved on.

For those of us who came into collecting in 2006, we couldn't get a Reggie Bush auto then. At the start of the 2007 season, his auto was still high. I got one then. I missed that window if I was a prospector.

That same year, I decided to collect Adrian Peterson as a fan and Russell and Quinn as a prospector. Let's just say that was a short lived experiment.

I'm still kicking myself for not selling my Tebow contenders gb2 auto the day I pulled it. Hope he ends up doing something in the nfl..
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

You just made me flashback to 1995. I watched a Broncos preseason game and a low draft pick I'd never heard of looked really, REALLY good to me. I went out that next week and bought every Terrell Davis card I could find on the cheap. I felt like a genius when he blew up and I was sitting on stacks of his rookie cards. Then I felt like a moron for not selling while he was hot after he got his injury and his cards plummeted.