`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much does the value change with an autograph on a base card?

How much does the value change with an autograph on a base card?
Hi there.

I have a quick question regarding how much the value of a card changes with an on-card autograph of a base card. When I was a kid I sent letters to my fav players and sometimes you got a trading card with an autograph on it back. As an example, I have the 1993-94 Leaf #330 Stu Grimson. According to the price guide that card is valued at $0.10. But how much do you guys assume that the card is worth with the on-card auto?

/Anders

RE: How much does the value change with an autograph on a base card?
It's worth as much as his autograph is worth. Most collectors will only get base cards signed for their collections. There isn't a big market for autographed base cards.

Also, if someone was to get a card signed that is worth more than the autograph (for example Sidney Crosby signing his Young Guns card) then the value of the card drops to that of the autograph.
Collecting:

Claude Giroux, Sidney Crosby, Eric Tangradi, Flyers

Also collecting cards and memorabilia of Taylor Swift

http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i385/NickTheKid87/

Twitter: @NickTheKid87

(06-10-2011, 10:03 AM)nickthekid87 Wrote: It's worth as much as his autograph is worth. Most collectors will only get base cards signed for their collections. There isn't a big market for autographed base cards.

Also, if someone was to get a card signed that is worth more than the autograph (for example Sidney Crosby signing his Young Guns card) then the value of the card drops to that of the autograph.
+1

Also, a lot of people won't pay for in-person auto'd base cards because of authenticity issues. So if you ever were to try to sell them, you need a picture of the player signing it and/or a certificate of authenticity.

(06-10-2011, 11:35 AM)hockeynick1721 Wrote: +1

Also, a lot of people won't pay for in-person auto'd base cards because of authenticity issues. So if you ever were to try to sell them, you need a picture of the player signing it and/or a certificate of authenticity.
And also, people usually get IP autos for themselves, so they won't buy someone elses IP auto, they rather have a real auto card of someone.
Hockey PC's: Tomas Tatar, Alexander Burmistrov, Boris Valabik, Zach Bogosian
Football PC's: Titus Young, Jimmy Smith, Ed Dickson, Michael Oher, Flacco/Rice and Manningham/Henne dual cards.
Always gone Thur-Sun
[Image: NUC-1.png]

I get cards signed only for my PC, (I'm 15 minutes from Nassau Coliseum & know the Isles & the opposing teams practice schedules). It saves me a lot of money buying the certified ones, which is really the only advantage of getting a card signed in person. Selling in-person autographs is extremely difficult to do as even a picture of a player signing your card, (which they REALLY don't like to have done), may not convince bidders that the card you have up for sale is the same one he signed.

Common players, (like Grimson), have very little stuff out there other than base cards so getting them signed is not going to affect any value, (and Stu's cards are so cheap anyway that signed or not, it won't have any affect). Mid-tier guys are OK to get on signed base cards too. It's the elite players, (Crosby, Ovechkin, etc.), that are not worth getting on base cards as their signature on any other item will increase it far more than a card.

If you're concerned about selling value on in-person graphs, you may as well not even bother doing it. If you get the cards signed to keep in your collection as a memory of meeting that player, it's totally worth it.

I keep coming back to collection vs investion.

Are you getting these autographs for YOU, because you love the sport, the hobby, the player, the team?
OR....
Are you looking to SELL this card, and others?

If you are keeping this card and need a $ amount for insurance purposes- take his base and add 125%. There's not a lot of Grim Reapers out there- as far as I've seen. Hell, add 200%... Unless you're planning to burn down your house, lol! Seriously, don't do that.Trade ME those, first.

If this isn't for a personal collection, and means nothing to you, then it will mean nothing to everyone else as well.

What if I have an Aaron Rodgers Rookie card from Topps Total in 2005 that i got signed in person and a photo of me with him (card not in picture)? Would that increase value because it is Rookie?

In my opinion (for what it's worth) the autograph does not add value to the card unless you like the player. To resell it for more, i don't touch those kinds of cards.
Collecting all the Ron Hextall Cards especially those
pesky 1 of 1 cards and other low print runs.
I am also collecting Bernie Parent, Pelle Lindbergh,
Antero Niittymaki & other Flyers goalies.
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/dam1057/

I agree with a lot of what was being said above. The card / auto combination is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Most will not want the signed card for fear that it is a fake. You can't get the card graded at this point because you have defaced the surface with the writing. You also have no way of certifying that the auto is legit unless you have got the auto at a local signing day where you get some sort of certificate that states exactly what is being signed and even then it will be questionable to a collector. I guess you could have the autograph authenticated by a service, but then you have that cost added in.

This decreases the value of the rookie card and would make it worth the price of his auto - if someone is willing to take a chance on buying it.

Nathan

(02-21-2012, 11:33 PM)baseballmaddog Wrote: What if I have an Aaron Rodgers Rookie card from Topps Total in 2005 that i got signed in person and a photo of me with him (card not in picture)? Would that increase value because it is Rookie?

With an added autograph, the card itself is essentially worthless. It is damaged. Like Nick said above, though, he auto itself has value. If someone will pay more for it because it is on a card and not something else is up to the buyer.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.