`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Microsoft Word Tables For Card Databases (examples)

Using Microsoft Word Tables For Card Databases (examples)
I have been asked several times how I frame the cards that I post. I use the tables in Microsoft Word. Here is an example using three cards from 2007-08 Artifacts.

[Image: Tab01.jpg]

In this example, I scanned the three cards separately. In Microsoft Word I created a table (there are many existing table types in Word or you can make your own custom table). I then copied and pasted each card into a different table cell, and finally added a title row (2007-08 Artifacts) and label row (FA-BF etc...). The style (black with white print) was a built-in Word table type. I used this effect to make the light gray cards stand out. Spud
Photobucket: http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae140/mrspudhead98/
I enjoy Beckett but I don't trade cards anymore.
Favorite quotes "... it will be reported to Canada Rev."
(A966567760846SVermont8911CCC346.1).

RE: Using Microsoft Word Tables For Card Databases (examples)
Wow. Great stuff. I never would have thought you used word. I was gonna ask but assumed you used an access database. Impressive

You can do this with a spreadsheet like Excel, I just happen to be better with Word. Spud

(05-22-2011, 06:26 PM)hockeynick1721 Wrote: Wow. Great stuff. I never would have thought you used word. I was gonna ask but assumed you used an access database. Impressive

Let's try something a little more complicated. Say you are a Predators fan and you want to create a cool table for your 2007-08 Artifacts Predators cards. In Word you could make a very simple table like this:

[Image: Tab02.jpg]

Note that all 12 cards are in portrait orientation so the table is simple. I'll jazz it up a bit in my next post. Spud

Here I've added some headings with blue shading and spaced the cards in the centers of their table cells. After I walk the dog, I'll add some landscape patches and jerseys. Spud

[Image: Tab03.jpg]

Finally we can add some landscape cards, modify the title rows and background shading to end up with this:

[Image: Tab04.jpg]
[Image: Tab05.jpg]

With Word tables there are lots of possibilities. Oh yes, another thing that doesn't happen with these tables is they don't get cut off on the right hand side like some Beckett posts do - you've probably noticed this from time to time. Spud

(05-22-2011, 06:02 PM)mrspudhead Wrote: I have been asked several times how I frame the cards that I post. I use the tables in Microsoft Word. Here is an example using three cards from 2007-08 Artifacts.

In this example, I scanned the three cards separately. In Microsoft Word I created a table (there are many existing table types in Word or you can make your own custom table). I then copied and pasted each card into a different table cell, and finally added a title row (2007-08 Artifacts) and label row (FA-BF etc...). The style (black with white print) was a built-in Word table type. I used this effect to make the light gray cards stand out. Spud
Hi, i am trying to do this with my collections and cannot get it to work. Any additional info you can provide me? i have scannned photos, i then created the table that is 8X7, then i copied and tried pasting them in the separate boxes, but each scan/box just overlaps the other and it does not work at all. any help would be apprecited, thanks.

http://seafur.webs.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/106679827615433026457
References: over 650 trades see Trade Page
WANTS: YZERMAN (anything!), VEZINA WINNERS GU, JAGR GU, LUPUL rookie year, 03-04 Beehive Sticks, 07-08 BAP Duals

well done. thx for the info.. looks great

Thanks Spud, I am going to have to try this with my BTP cards.
[Image: 36415429146_421111660f_b.jpg]Scott Nobles, on Flickr

No problem. Once you put your first card in a table cell, you must adjust the width of the card so that it fits into the cell without the cell expanding (note if the card is too wide the other cells will automatically get smaller and smaller). So try this: right click on the card and you should see a pop-up menu that has height and width in centimeters (cm). Click in the width box to edit it (you may need to carefully click twice to see the cursor appear). Don't touch the height box because it will adjust automatically to keep the card aspect ratio the same (this means your card will not change its shape). You may have to make them as small as 2.5 cm wide since you have eight cards across the page. Now do this for every card. Let me know how it works! Spud

(05-23-2011, 10:48 AM)Yzerman Wrote: Hi, i am trying to do this with my collections and cannot get it to work. Any additional info you can provide me? i have scannned photos, i then created the table that is 8X7, then i copied and tried pasting them in the separate boxes, but each scan/box just overlaps the other and it does not work at all. any help would be apprecited, thanks.

I should mention that this works for cards that are vertical (portrait). In the case of horizontal (landscape) cards you need to make the HEIGHT smaller (2.5 cm high) and leave the width alone. You won't be able to get eight of them across the table, probably only four. Spud

(05-23-2011, 02:32 PM)mrspudhead Wrote: No problem. Once you put your first card in a table cell, you must adjust the width of the card so that it fits into the cell without the cell expanding (note if the card is too wide the other cells will automatically get smaller and smaller). So try this: right click on the card and you should see a pop-up menu that has height and width in centimeters (cm). Click in the width box to edit it (you may need to carefully click twice to see the cursor appear). Don't touch the height box because it will adjust automatically to keep the card aspect ratio the same (this means your card will not change its shape). You may have to make them as small as 2.5 cm wide since you have eight cards across the page. Now do this for every card. Let me know how it works! Spud

Definitely. Your cards will look nice in tables. Spud

(05-23-2011, 01:42 PM)snobles Wrote: Thanks Spud, I am going to have to try this with my BTP cards.

Thanks. Spud

(05-23-2011, 11:01 AM)bwhelan87 Wrote: well done. thx for the info.. looks great

Awesome, thanks i got it to work, looks good. Ya, i could only do 4 across as you mentioned as most cards are horizontal for me. I am working on the headings but i cant seem to get it the way you did, are you using the INSERT 'Header and Footer'? Also how did you save it as a .jpg? I go to Save As and in the drop down menu there are tons of formats to choose from like word processing types or PDF, but there is no .jpg listed. thanks.
http://seafur.webs.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/106679827615433026457
References: over 650 trades see Trade Page
WANTS: YZERMAN (anything!), VEZINA WINNERS GU, JAGR GU, LUPUL rookie year, 03-04 Beehive Sticks, 07-08 BAP Duals

Do you have any specific way to do the size of you picture so that they all match?
[Image: 36415429146_421111660f_b.jpg]Scott Nobles, on Flickr