`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAQ on card collecting

RE: FAQ on card collecting
(01-06-2017, 06:03 PM)taffster74 Wrote: As i keep on saying, it's always a gamble whether you buy boxes or packs as whether you hit the big dollar card. If Companies guaranteed a high dollar card in every box, they'd quickly lose money and respect and the price of the products would soon bottom out.

I appreciate you sharing this - can you explain why that is?

Intuitively if I wanted XYZ card...it would seem that I would find out what set it was in (I assume all cards are a part of some set - maybe that's where I have it wrong) and simply buy the set to guarantee I get it. So what do I have wrong?

Am I wrong in assuming that all cards are a part of some complete set? Or am I wrong in assuming that sets are 'complete'?

To me it sounds like if I wanted a particular Karl Anthony Towns card, I could look up what set it was in, buy the set, and it's not in there. Is that what they do?

Quote:As to what makes a product premium or not .... it all comes down to the packaging and marketing. These day's, anything premium you'd be looking at well over US$100 per box for only a hand full of packs (or, with some products, the box is the pack).

Wow - would you be willing to help me find a pack costing over $100? I've seen the boxes so I actually want to see a pack, but I am new to this.

Quote:THe products i mentioned in previous are consider low to mid-range. Anything is else is pretty much premium, so stuff like Absolute, Select, Optic, Gold Standard, Limited...

I am going to look on Dave and Adam's for these companies. Thanks

Quote:As to Giannis cards getting to high .... don't count on it. Yes, he may be a top player, but he plays in a small-market team that has never really had much success. For example, when i started collecting (back in 1995), Milwaukee had the number one pick in Glenn Robinson. He was a fantastic player and could score in bunches but because of the market, his cards were never as high-priced as they could have been. So market comes into play when it comes to card values also. The only other problem i can see with collecting Giannis is that there are a lot of other people collecting him also.... so there will be some competition.

I had no idea that market impacted the card value. I will try to find a modestly priced card.

I really appreciate all of your help.

Messages In This Thread
FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 12-30-2016, 06:34 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by nickm1123 - 01-02-2017, 06:11 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 01-05-2017, 12:41 AM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by taffster74 - 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by taffster74 - 01-05-2017, 05:59 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by taffster74 - 01-06-2017, 06:03 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 01-07-2017, 11:22 AM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 01-08-2017, 11:10 AM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by taffster74 - 01-08-2017, 05:24 PM