`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
1984 Star & 1986 Fleer Jordan RC's!!! The icons!!

RE: 1984 Star & 1986 Fleer Jordan RC's!!! The icons!!
Thanks for all the great responses so far everyone! Let's keep em coming...

@pingbling: I didn't know that BGS stopped grading Star cards? That makes me wonder now about the ones that have already been graded?? You think they stopped grading them because even they weren't sure how to be 100% sure on authenticity? That could be scary. Personally I am just SO suspicious of the '84 Star because I remember hearing about how in the 90's someone got a hold of the original printing plate for that card and reprinted tons of new ones that were obviously identical to the originals. The Fleer is just so much easier to authenticate & distinguish from a forged copy in my opinion. Looks better too IMO Smile ... More iconic!

@nickm1123: I hear ya completely about how the Fleer was THE holy grail as a kid and the thought of ever owning one seemed like only a dream! I remember how I dreamed of even seeing one in person! I swear it seemed like in the 90's before the launch of eBay that THAT card was SO elusive! None of the local hobby stores ever had one (believe it or not kids there were dozens in the 90's between a few local cities lol) .... The first time I FINALLY seen one in person was in 1999!!! I just stared at it for like 10 mins and just kept asking the dealer every question I could think of just so I could buy more time to stare lol. I was only 14 in 1999 so I still didn't have the 1,000+ to purchase one. Looking back now I'm pretty sure that raw copy was probably badly off centered ect... But it didn't matter!!! It was the freakin Jordan RC!!! A card I'd only ever seen in magazines & top 10 lists!!! It wasn't until 2003 when I finally bought one! It was from a respected dealer I'd been going to since a little kid. It was raw. Probably would've graded a solid 8. And he sold it to me for 500. I was in heaven. Took it home & even as an 18 year old adult it still mesmerized me! Stared at it for hours a week. It was my most prized possession! I agree with you completely... I say the Fleer 100% as his best rookie!

@arabiansnowgriz: That's amazing that you have both cards in beautiful 8.5 grades! That must've made your whole year when you got them to bump up the centering on the Star! I'd say display those bad boys side by side. Just get a nice glass showcase with lock n key! The Star is so rare and the authenticity factor is its biggest concern i'd have to believe. I REALLY hope Beckett knew exactly what they were looking for! Beautiful cards!

@goldcoin2012: I agree that the 1986 Fleer is basically the basketball hobbies '52 Mantle, where as the '84 Star is more like the '51 Bowman. Yes the Star may be older, but the Fleer IMO deserves the true RC designation. 1986 Fleer had actual packs where pulling a Jordan was a gamble. The Star cards came in team bags, so if someone wanted to get a guaranteed Jordan all they would've had to do was track down the Bulls set, where Jordan was shown in the very front!!! Lol... Still iconic, just not the same to me. It's more oddball in my view. But I still would want it and see it as 1b to the 1a Fleer RC! Truly an XRC!

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1984 Star & 1986 Fleer Jordan RC's!!! The icons!! - by bengu - 07-07-2012, 08:03 AM