`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have SGC 98 Jeter, how irrelevant is SGC?

RE: Have SGC 98 Jeter, how irrelevant is SGC?
("Too long, didn't read" summary: SGC is absolute trash and you should go with BGS or PSA)

It's incredibly difficult for me to not go on a huge rant about SGC, and I will try incredibly hard to keep this short.
To be "nice", they are an absolutely worthless company, with no grasp on why one would get cards graded. How they even have a following is beyond me.

Is this a result of me not agreeing with them grading my cards? No, not at all. I've only done one order with them, but at least 50-75% came back as a 98. As far as I'm concerned those 98s aren't worth the two cent paper label its printed on.

The first thing I would check, if you're concerned about value or anything is if the card rattles inside the slab. If so, I doubt that 98 is a 98 any more. This seems to be an extremely common trend with SGC. This also seems to defeat the purpose of grading it in my humble opinion, it is not preserved.

My experience with SGC was rather infuriating and resulted in me totally shutting down and leaving the hobby for ~3 months. I would not recommend them for anything whatsoever. Yes, supposedly vintage is their forte, but if the card rattles, shifts and moves within the holder I don't care if its 100 years old or 1 day old, it's still worthless in terms of grading/preservation.

And although this may not seem short, trust me, for the amount of hatred I have for SGC and the "quality" of their work, this is Chapter 1 of the first Encyclopedia in a 30 book set.

Cheers,
Adam

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have SGC 98 Jeter, how irrelevant is SGC? - by kr0n420 - 05-24-2012, 11:45 PM