`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggio, Smoltz, Pedro and Big Unit are in

RE: Biggio, Smoltz, Pedro and Big Unit are in
Let's also send back Dustin Pedroia and Greg Holland to 1885 while we're at it because they didn't get the message about having to be a physical specimen to play in today's game.

Obviously the scout that signed Pedro Martinez didn't get the memo either.

No, I don't believe today's players are superior.

Al Spalding threw 617 innings in a year with a 1.92 ERA.

Nobody will ever throw half those innings in a season again.

Cy Young threw 749 complete games with a 2.63 ERA for his career.

Nobody will ever throw more than 100 complete games again.

They all threw complete games back then. The modern pitcher is throwing 6 innings on a five-man rotation and he is done.

Honus Wagner won 8 batting titles because he was a beast and he would be a beast today.

Cap Anson hit 21 home runs in a year where the dead ball meant dead ball and seven guys had a minus 2 era.

I could spend a whole month writing about the feats of the dead ball era.

Guys back then were working on farms and building railroads in the off season while the modern player plays video games and lifts weights.

(01-07-2015, 08:51 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: ill get point by point at some point, but:
rod carew played more games at first than at 2nd
jackie maybe, because of his overall game *cough* defense* cough* (of course, hof isnt just about numbers, and he is one of the three most IMPORTANT players to the game)

lofton: two points: runs is a dependent stat, and lofton's teams were much better than raines. but additionally, lofton benefitted from the diluted pitching of the expansion era and also benefitted from park factors and league factors. adjusted stats should be looked at here

lots to get to later

but you shouldnt be so wary of WAR. it's just a state based on the stats you know and love. it's a concrete number. not a bible, of course, but it's just a simple way of looking at a complex equation of stats you already like

If you are going by wins above replacement (and I don't believe in it), Raines is ranked 106th and Lofton is ranked 114th which is the same sentence in my book.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biggio, Smoltz, Pedro and Big Unit are in - by natejeffries - 01-08-2015, 12:52 AM