`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What's your thoughts on the sate of the hobby?

RE: What's your thoughts on the sate of the hobby?
To me, the hobby is what you make it. If you're looking to make money off of this, then you are probably going to end up pretty disapointed. I agree with everything that Fred Bear said.

When I got back into the hobby, I was dissapointed to see so many insert sets and multiple expensive rookie cards of guys that have only played 5 minutes in a game. The market is now flooded expensive boxes with jersey cards, patch cards, or whatever the new trend is and takes away from what a normal jersey card used to be...the big hit!

The easiest way to enjoy this hobby, is to love the sport you are collecting. I collect goaltender cards because I've always loved goalies. When I bust a box, as long as I get a rookie goalie, or cool goalie insert, then I am happy. I then try to trade the rest for more goalies. This is what I enjoy though.

As far as the main question, I do think the hobby is in a slow decline. Because of my afforementioned thoughts of the types of cards that flood expensive boxes, I think one day you are going to see a hobby that is only fueled by the biggest superstar in the sport. IE, the only cards "worth" anything would be Crosby. We are already seeing the hobby head in that direction now. There's maybe what? 5 players that can pull big money easily, and one will always be the #1 draft pick that year.

But that's fine by me, makes collecting for me a lot easier! A hard signed Cam Ward card for only $20? That's a steal to me, and it means a lot more to me than that $20.
Collecting: Kevin Hodson, Goaltender Rookie Cards, 1995-96 Fleer Metal Inserts.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's your thoughts on the sate of the hobby? - by OrangeBlooded31 - 05-27-2014, 03:31 PM