`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'86 Fleer Jordan... a serious wtf question for its critics!

RE: '86 Fleer Jordan... a serious wtf question for its critics!
Absolutely STUNNING BGS 9 right there.

I don't think its a matter of people hating on the 86 Fleer MJ. If you look at VCP you will see how many of these change hands, clearly there is a great appreciation for it. I think the majority of basketball collectors out there would regard this as a must have in their collection and there is no disputing its significance to our hobby.

That said, looking at the population reports for both BGS and PSA, its obvious the card is far from scarce. Last time I looked there are over 20,000 MJ RC slabbed between the two companies. That is a ton compared to the under 300 examples of the Star XRC graded.Factor in a decent but dwindling supply of unopened material and its easy to see why people don't look at in the same light as say a 52 topps Mantle.

However, while there are a lot out there, supply is not going to always keep up with demand. MJ is the most popular figure in sports history WORLDWIDE. I mean seriously, an industrial jug of McJordan Rib Sauce sold for nearly $10k!! The 86 Fleer is simply an iconic card and will always be a hot item for MJ fans and sports card collectors of all kinds.

Great point regarding the internet being a worldwide marketplace. I had the same discussion recently when someone pointed to the 8 BGS Star XRC's on eBay as proof the are either fake or not as scarce as people think. Back in the day we were only able to see what came through our local shops. Ebay allows us to see every card out there with a simple mouse click. Pointing to how many are for sale in rough economic times is by no means a measure of scarcity. Thats what pop reports are for, and even those are flawed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: '86 Fleer Jordan... a serious wtf question for its critics! - by user_3n5kp - 11-15-2012, 04:33 PM