`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best Deal you ever made...

RE: The Best Deal you ever made...
This is kind of a long story, my first big trade was back in 2001 when SP Legendary Cuts was first release. I love the history of baseball and never thought I would ever own any autographs of the ALL TIME GREATS.

So back in 2001, I saw this card on eBay. The seller lived about 30 miles away so I contacted him. He didn't care about the card only wanted cards that would sell for $2,500 on eBay. I ended up trading some Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, A-Rod and some basketball cards and got this in return.

[Image: CutAutos001.jpg]

Later that year, I found this card on eBay and made another deal. I don't remember what I traded to get it but I was happy

[Image: WalterJohnson.jpg]

Fast forward a couple years and I see a Honus Wagner card on ebay. I contact the seller and he owns a card store in southern California and all he wants is cards that will yield him a price of $2,500. I traded him some Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays autos, plus some other cards and I got this Wagner

[Image: CutAutos003.jpg]

Later on that summer I check eBay and the card store owner had this card up for sale and I again contact him.

[Image: 2-3-11056.jpg]

I ended up trading a 1997 Upper Deck legends Johnny Unitas auto, a Michael Jordan auto, some other misc. baseball autos and 1/1 Jackie Robinson cut auto jacket from Donruss for the card. He had a customer who was putting the 97 UD Legend set together and was only the Unitas short of the set and he had a huge Dodger collector as a customer so he knew he could get his money back in a hurry.

Okay, having a Babe Ruth auto was my all time collecting life goal. Years later I see a Satchell Paige on ebay and I contact the seller, Sure he will trade but he sends me his phone number to call him ASAP. I call he asked about the Ruth, I tell him no it is not for sale or trade. He then asked if he could come up with another Ruth would I trade? I say maybe all depends?

Two days later he calls back and said we have a deal on this Paige

Here is the Paige

[Image: forsale-trade003.jpg]

Then he tells me he has a 1/1 Murder's Row Quad auto he will trade for my Ruth but that his card should be worth about $3,000 more than my Ruth cut. We go back and forth over a two day period with me trying to come up with more trade value and we get within $300 of the deal and I finally say enough is enough. I am keeping my Ruth, I am happy with it. I call and tell the guy, that we do not have a trade, I am keeping my Ruth. The guy sounded very sad but said he understood. I was at one of our locals when we had this conversation.

I leave and start for home, the guy calls me and says, he has to have my Ruth card and he will trade this 1/1 Quad auto straight up for my Ruth and not only that to make sure I like the card, he will send the Quad first so I can have it in hand to see. The autos have also been authenticated by James Spence and he will include that in the trade.

Back
[Image: MurdersRowQuadCut.jpg]

Front
[Image: MurdersRowQuadCut001.jpg]

So I thought that was too good of a deal to pass up and now I have this as the center piece of my collection. Grateful for photobucket as these stay in a very nice safe deposit box in a big bank.

That's my story.

Oh, I forgot

I also traded some football and hockey autos for these two baseball cards a few years later

[Image: SPLegendaryCutscasebreak6-6-11018.jpg]

and this 1/1

[Image: 1919BlackSoxDualAuto.jpg]

All of this was done back in the days when trading was possible.

Good luck to you in future deals.

Messages In This Thread
The Best Deal you ever made... - by once78 - 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM
RE: The Best Deal you ever made... - by rjcj2017 - 01-24-2017, 10:59 AM
RE: The Best Deal you ever made... - by once78 - 01-24-2017, 11:07 AM
RE: The Best Deal you ever made... - by mouschi3 - 01-24-2017, 11:24 AM
RE: The Best Deal you ever made... - by DrMitchJ - 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
RE: The Best Deal you ever made... - by zeprock - 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM
RE: The Best Deal you ever made... - by once78 - 01-25-2017, 09:09 AM
RE: The Best Deal you ever made... - by kyle14892 - 01-25-2017, 09:46 AM
RE: The Best Deal you ever made... - by jaykayzee - 01-25-2017, 11:34 AM
RE: The Best Deal you ever made... - by djohn - 01-25-2017, 12:33 PM