`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hockey Card Collectors Against Jersey Cards

RE: Hockey Card Collectors Against Jersey Cards
(03-09-2012, 09:40 AM)skyfire47 Wrote: i'll go on the oppositte and say i disagree. while older jerseys are much rarer, one jersey only does one person good. card companies aren't buying the old jerseys from the NHL or the HHOF here; they're buying them from private collectors. when they cut up the jersey, that's possibly hundreds of people who can now potentially own a piece of hockey history that would otherwise never have a chance. preventing card manufacturers from using jerseys doesn't prevent private collectors from keeping a jersey locked away in a closet where it does no one any good.

in the end, you can't prevent a card company from purchasing memorabilia. a good example would be ITG and the Vezina pads they have. from what i hear, the pads were put up for sale and the offer from the HHOF was laughable. ITG put in an offer and it was accepted. how are you going to tell someone what they can and can't do with their property?

I completely agree with skyfire47.

For those that don't, don't get me wrong. I "get" what you're saying that it's "sad" that old jerseys are cut into pieces. However, they aren't done so frivolously.

If not for jersey cards then sports memorabilia is a rich man's hobby and those jerseys are less accessible. At least with sports card collecting, it's something can be appreciated by the masses.

While it would be nice to have all these items in HOFs or museums, I was going to use the Vezina pads as an example just as skyfire did. What do you do? If a museum won't respect the value of these items, but a card company does and makes it accessible to the masses then that's not something sad taking place. It's a good thing, IMHO.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hockey Card Collectors Against Jersey Cards - by franktoronto - 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM