`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COMC Hangs Themselves

RE: COMC Hangs Themselves
I am shocked that anyone thinks this is a big deal. GUYS, BOOK PRICE MEANS NOTHING a card is "worth" only what people are willing to pay for it. As a seller on COMC, I don't even acknowledge the beckett price when I'm listing cards, I don't need it. I am trying to sell the cards, I get what people are willing to spend not what a book says they should. Ask a card shop owner or any business owner, that's the way it is. As a buyer, I don't care what the list price is beckett can't tell me what a card is worth to me.

If you truly think it through, Beckett (as a pricing outlet) is an antiquated byproduct of times before the Internet. With so many sites, auction and/or sale, the public decides the price by demand vs. desire. As a quasi-seller, I never consult Beckett or other guides because I know the figure they have is NOT what I can realistically sell an item for. Instead, I may look at a certain set of variables (i.e., price on Ebay over the past six weeks, previous market movement, future releases that may dampen interest on a "now" card, etc.

Honestly, if it were still Hammer Time in the early 1990s then Beckett may be my go to ... but we have the resources now to decipher our own legitimate values. Business is business, common sense economics dictates the market will set the price.
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]

I like the idea someone on the COMC blog had about listing an average COMC selling price. They could have that in addition to the Beckett prices for subscribers.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

(07-09-2013, 10:30 PM)reagle beagle 37 Wrote: If you truly think it through, Beckett (as a pricing outlet) is an antiquated byproduct of times before the Internet. With so many sites, auction and/or sale, the public decides the price by demand vs. desire. As a quasi-seller, I never consult Beckett or other guides because I know the figure they have is NOT what I can realistically sell an item for. Instead, I may look at a certain set of variables (i.e., price on Ebay over the past six weeks, previous market movement, future releases that may dampen interest on a "now" card, etc.

Honestly, if it were still Hammer Time in the early 1990s then Beckett may be my go to ... but we have the resources now to decipher our own legitimate values. Business is business, common sense economics dictates the market will set the price.
Yeah, the only time I really consult the book values to begin with are when I'm trying to figure out a "ballpark" figure on like, for example, 1990s inserts of Michael Jordan ... as in, are they the $8 ones or the $250+ ones, because I can't keep straight which ones fell 1:6 packs and which ones fell 1:288 packs back then or whatever.

(07-09-2013, 07:02 PM)cross4444 Wrote: http://blog.comc.com/2013/07/09/launchin.../#comments

If you're active on COMC and haven't read this yet, please do. I'm ashamed of COMC for doing this and I have a bad feeling that this is the end. I'll be calling them tomorrow and demanding my cards be returned. It's become clear that COMC is a scam for small sellers where they do anything to nickle and dime you until you're broke. This is even more damaging to buyers who have no way to judge the prices being asked without paying up to $30/month for what was free as of yesterday. Business is destroying this hobby and I'm fed up with it.
Your right. You was stealing what I have been paying for.......
always going to be someone who has to cry about losing a FREE service that others pay for *riase my hand up HIGH*

I have had a yearly sub. for about 4 or 5 years now, Why is it fair you get pricing for free. Oh wait you wanna live off what I pay for....

And from what THAT article says they let everyone know WAY back in SEPTEMBER......... For it to be a fast one it would have to be no notice. When they tell you they ARE GOING TO MAKE A CHANGE........... IT is NOT.

(07-09-2013, 07:20 PM)cross4444 Wrote: The issue is that what set COMC apart from other sites is that it allowed buyers to judge their purchases against a benchmark. Without that a lot of casual buyers will go back to Ebay where prices are generally much cheaper.

I understand that Beckett needed a new agreement, but it's bologna that this was the best they could do. COMC already makes it incredibly hard for small consignors to make any profits and the last thing we need is to lose a fat chunk of sales. The worst part is that ZERO heads up was given that this would be implemented. As "consignors" we're in business with COMC and today they pulled a fast one on us.
The worst part is that ZERO heads up was given that this would be implemented.

This looks like heads up to me.......

Today we are launching the changes we announced back in October.

Define Irony. Smile or is it justice? Either way ....
Just the other day some scummy pack searcher was diligently "molesting" a hopper full of Topps. Heritage packs bragging about all his little card victories. (An aside, he asked why I was buying a blaster and I told him that cheating pack searchers didn't get to them first Smile ) ... anyway, he started asking me questions pertaining to prices and he mentioned (bragged?) that he didn't have to pay for an OPG because he used COMC and was able to get his pricing for free and I should start using COMC cause I could drop Beckett's OPG. I'm kinda happy that this particular scummy, scammer, A-hole's world just got rocked!
BwaaaaHaHa! Sorry for any of you that were adversely affected, but I see this as a little minor victory against a slimy pack searcher! HA!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I could swear that either COMC put out that this change was coming prior to the blog posting the other day or there have been threads on forums alluding to the change coming, so it really wasn't just dropped on people yesterday.

As for E-bay being cheaper, that is garbage unless you are talking about high end cards, memorabilia, or autograph cards. Every month from COMC, I purchase $20 worth of commons for my Yankees players and usually do 2 $100 Jeter purchases a year. I could never get as many cards as I do if I could find all of those cards on E-bay because they are not usually as cheap as COMC and then there is the multiple shipping costs from all of the E-bay sellers. Whenever I find a card on E-bay I want to bid on, I always see if it is available on COMC and the price and I have never find a card that was listed on both sites where E-bay price including shipping beat COMC especially when I could bundle shipping with other cards from COMC.

Way back when , I heard about beckett prices being removed from comc , and sent in a question as to if subscribers would be able to see prices without having to go from page to page and was told they were working on that option.

If you have a subscription here you can transfer that information over to COMC and the prices will show up. You also can purchase Beckett subscriptions through COMC that will transfer to here.

(07-09-2013, 11:40 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: I like the idea someone on the COMC blog had about listing an average COMC selling price. They could have that in addition to the Beckett prices for subscribers.
+1, I REALLY hope they implement that option. It is way more relevant than Beckett pricing anyways. I am wondering how often COMC will update their Beckett book values, or whether it will be directly linked to the Beckett database. In the past the pricing on COMC can lag behind by months, if that is still the case then paying for Beckett pricing on COMC is a waste.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/