`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rate the 2018 Hobby

Rate the 2018 Hobby
What score from 1 to 10 would you give for the 2018 Baseball Hobby?

I give it a 4 because I did not find many hobby boxes that excited me this year and the Twins did not have a superstar to chase.

RE: Rate the 2018 Hobby
Well, because of the well documented Summer Purge of the majority of my collection, I bought a career-low amount of product this year.

But all around I'd give it a 9 or so based on the rookie class ... Shohei, Acuna, Torres, Andujar, Albies, etc.

Especially if you bought a later season product, the chance to pull somebody decent was pretty good.

In fact, I bought exactly one jumbo pack of Big League and one jumbo pack of Archives ... and pulled the Acuna RC from Big League and the Ohtani "Angels Prospects" insert from Archives, so I was pretty pleased.

Of course, my main PC guy is Trout, so there's always a chance I pull something good.

To me, "the chance to pull somebody decent" only applies to looking to sell or getting a PC player. Last year I could care less about Judge and this year the same goes for Ohtani, Torres, Andujar and Acuna. Since there are so many going after these guys to sell or trade, if I get one it's more of a sigh than a smile.

For example, I collected the entire 2017 Bowman Chrome Draft Refractors set that includes all these guys, so I will never sell or trade. But, when I found another Acuna on COMC for less than 1/3 of Beckett value, I jumped at it to use as trade bait. The problem is there are not many PC players available with the same current value to trade 1-for-1 on the Acuna.

Between your "4" and my "9," this product year grades out to a 6.5, LOL

Personally I would probably give 2018 an eight. Almost all my purchases were 2018 Topps Now and the weekly Topps Living set. In previous years I was concerned about the value of the cards I purchased, but thanks to Beckett's refusal to update Now or Living 2018 has taught me to just enjoy the card.

Scott

(11-20-2018, 01:17 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Between your "4" and my "9," this product year grades out to a 6.5, LOL
Right! If the Twins had called up Kirilloff or Lewis or even Gordon, I would have rated it an 8. Why do teams that are having a crappy season refuse to give the young guys some major league experience?!! I suppose it is about the money...

(11-20-2018, 01:20 PM)garrisc Wrote: Personally I would probably give 2018 an eight. Almost all my purchases were 2018 Topps Now and the weekly Topps Living set. In previous years I was concerned about the value of the cards I purchased, but thanks to Beckett's refusal to update Now or Living 2018 has taught me to just enjoy the card.

Scott
What a great attitude about "collecting". I admit that I watch values of cards over $20 but the rest are strictly hobby trinkets.

On a scale of 1 - 10 I give it a B.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(11-20-2018, 02:32 PM)zeprock Wrote: On a scale of 1 - 10 I give it a B.
Exactly//a solids C+ - 6.66

(11-20-2018, 02:58 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: Exactly//a solids C+ - 6.66
From where I stand, that number is the worst it can be!! Yikes

In general I rate each season based on its RC class.

Shohei carried the early product hype until Acuna, Torres and Andujar emerged to carry the late release stuff.

So, for example, if I go out and buy a blaster of 2018 Topps Update now, I stand a pretty good chance of pulling some good RCs or inserts.

Dare I say it, this year's RC class reminds me of ... gasp ... 2011!

Imagine if a base Acuna RC from Topps Update hits the $400 mark raw like that fish guy in Anaheim?