`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Hall of Fame Ballot

2017 Hall of Fame Ballot
I collect Hall of Fame players so I have a vested interest in this each year.
Here's the ballot of eligible players for 2017:

Jeff Bagwell
Casey Blake
Barry Bonds
Pat Burrell
Orlando Cabrera
Mike Cameron
Roger Clemens
J.D. Drew
Vladimir Guerrero
Carlos Guillen
Trevor Hoffman
Jeff Kent
Derrek Lee
Edgar Martinez
Fred McGriff
Melvin Mora
Mike Mussina
Magglio Ordonez
Jorge Posada
Tim Raines
Manny Ramirez
Edgar Renteria
Arthur Rhodes
Ivan Rodriguez
Freddy Sanchez
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Lee Smith
Sammy Sosa
Matt Stairs
Jason Varitek
Billy Wagner
Tim Wakefield
Larry Walker

Who would you vote for? Who do you think will get in this time around?

Personally I'm happy to see 9 former Red Sox on the ballot (10 if you count Bagwell). If I had a vote, I would vote for the maximum of ten players. Agree or not, this is my vote and who'd I'd pick:
Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Vladimir Guerrero, Trevor Hoffman, Fred McGriff, Tim Raines, Manny Ramirez, Ivan Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa.

Who do I think will be voted in this year? Tough question. I think the PED players will be denied again and the ballot is loaded with them. I'd like to see Guerrero get in but don't know if he will make it on his first try.

I don't think Posada or Varitek will ever get in but think it would be a good debate as to which is more "Hall-worthy". Posada has more Championships but those were more "team" accomplishments. He may have been a better hitter but I'd take Varitek over him because I think he was a better field general.

What do you think? Let the debate ensue.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: 2017 Hall of Fame Ballot
I would vote for the following:
Ivan Rodriguez, Tim Raines, Mike Mussina, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Vladimir Guerrero, Fred McGriff

However, my expectation is that only 3 will get in this year: Ivan Rodriguez, Tim Raines, Jeff Bagwell
(12-22-2016, 09:26 AM)zeprock Wrote: I don't think Posada or Varitek will ever get in but think it would be a good debate as to which is more "Hall-worthy". Posada has more Championships but those were more "team" accomplishments. He may have been a better hitter but I'd take Varitek over him because I think he was a better field general.
I don't think either will make it into the hall in the next few years. They were both really good players on great teams. That being said Posada has a much better chance than Varitek at getting inducted. Overall the fielding portion of a catcher's career is typically overlooked by HOF voters, which is a shame. However with all the new Sabermetrics in place these days, voters are more and more informed about the true value of players. So it won't shock me to see one or both of them eventually make it in.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

The PED guys, by definition, aren't HOFers because they lack sufficient character and integrity.

This isn't to say they weren't great stats-wise, they just belong in a different hall - the 'hall of stats' that the pro-PED camp wants the HOF to become that doesn't require character and integrity.

Jeff Bagwell
Vladimir Guerrero
Fred McGriff
Mike Mussina
Curt Schilling
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

I'm picking ten from the list as I have 10 votes. If they are eligible and their records are in the books, that's all I'm concerning myself with.

Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Trevor Hoffman
Jeff Kent
Fred McGriff
Tim Raines
Manny Ramirez
Ivan Rodriguez
Lee Smith

Don't waste your time and argue with my post re the PED guys because I really don't care one way or another (if character and integrity were totally included....1/2 the people in there wouldn't be)

Of the 10 above.....I cannot for the life of me figure out why Lee Smith hasn't been voted in
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(12-22-2016, 01:17 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: I'm picking ten from the list as I have 10 votes. If they are eligible and their records are in the books, that's all I'm concerning myself with.

Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Trevor Hoffman
Jeff Kent
Fred McGriff
Tim Raines
Manny Ramirez
Ivan Rodriguez
Lee Smith

Don't waste your time and argue with my post re the PED guys because I really don't care one way or another (if character and integrity were totally included....1/2 the people in there wouldn't be)

Of the 10 above.....I cannot for the life of me figure out why Lee Smith hasn't been voted in
+1 about Lee Smith ... Long overdue in my opinion.
+1 about PED ... There have been PEDs since the begining of time. Whether it's Cocaine in coca cola, Nicotine in tobacco, Greenies, Caffiene, diet pills, etc, etc. ... There'll always be something to give someone a boost. It gets banned, or made illegal, the players move forward and find newer PEDs. Let'em in the hall right after Pete Rose gets in before them all. It's about time.

My HOF picks
Lee Smith, Manny, Trevor & Pudge.

[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I'm voting for Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Vladimir Guerrero, Trevor Hoffman, Edgar Martinez, Tim Raines & Ivan Rodriguez for sure.

My last two votes would be between Manny Ramirez, Fred McGriff, Lee Smith, Mike Mussina, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa & Larry Walker.

I think especially now that Selig is in, we'll see some of the PED guys start to get in, not this year, but within the next 2. I think for this year, Bagwell, Raines and Rodriguez get in, with Hoffman and Guerrero just missing the cut but making it in next year. That said, I'd love to see all 5 get in this year.
Trading for cut autos of baseball HOFers I don't have, autos of current and future Cleveland Guardians, and anything else that catches my eye!

As a baseball fan I always look forward to this time of year and the debates that always swirl around the HOF candidates. If I were voting my ballot would look like this:

Bagwell
Guerrero
Hoffman
McGriff
Schilling

Bagwell only had suspicions, never tested positive for anything.
Guerrero's one of six guys ever in the history of the game with at least 449 HR's and a batting average of .318 or higher.
Hoffman, if it weren't for Mariano I think he would arguably be considered the greatest closer ever?
McGriff is underrated in my opinion, he got lost in all of the inflated numbers of the 90's. Assuming he was clean his career comps well with McCovey and Murray.
Schilling is one of only 16 guys in the 3,000 K club, the other 15 are all in the hall already. He was also one of the most dominant postseason pitchers ever.

I could see a case for Raines. Kent and Mussina were sort of fringe guys for me.

Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Ivan Rodriguez
Manny Ramirez
Sammy Sosa
Jeff Bagwell
Vladimir Guerrero
Larry Walker
Tim Raines - very underrated
Trevor Hoffman

Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Vladimir Guerrero
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Lee Smith

I don't know why Lee Smith isn't already in. When he retired he was the all-time saves leader in baseball.