`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1992 wild card field force variants

1992 wild card field force variants
I recently came upon some 92 wild card field force Dan Marino cards in various striped denominations (5,10,20,50), however, they ALSO had the silver version striping... something I wasn't aware existed. If these are intentionally released cards and not a misprint (I'm guessing yes since PSA officially recognized them and graded them) then it's safe to assume the 100 and 1000 stripes exist in silver as well. My question is : Has anyone seen striped cards with GOLD foil?
I wasn't collecting really in 92 so I don't remember the product, but if anyone out there can ballpark an insertion ratio and / or print run of these things it would help in the ultimate goal of booking all known Marino cards for the master set. Thanks in advance Smile
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

RE: 1992 wild card field force variants
No idea about the print run but yeah stripe version exist on all the inserts in 1992 Wild Card. Not so in 1993. I think only the base set had stripes.

1992 Wild Card Field Force Gold 5-Stripe #14 Brett Favre
NFT
[Image: 67k7n15o.jpg]

1992 Wild Card Field Force Gold 10-Stripe #14 Brett Favre
NFT
[Image: zs7ceuqq.jpg]

1992 Wild Card Field Force Gold 20-Stripe #14 Brett Favre
NFT
[Image: cnp8376f.jpg]

1992 Wild Card Field Force Silver 100-Stripe #14 Brett Favre
NFT
[Image: kb7ksf25.jpg]
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

Thanks, uwash! 6 more virtually impossible to find cards to add to the list :<
Judging by the fact I've never seen these I would imagine the print runs are extremely scarce, but hopefully someone out there knows for sure.
-- WANT LIST LINK --

Hey no1dolphan great post! Glad I am not the only one trying to get wild card parallels. I am a Cowboys team collector 1960-1994. I am trying to get everything in that range. 1991 Wild card is pretty easy since it is the first year and they didn't do inserts with parallels. 1992 is very hard. For instance for me just in the base set there are three different Emmitts with stripe levels on all three. This is a tough year because they did several different inserts and then 5/10/20/50/100/1000 parallels on all of them. So in the same Field Force you are collecting I have to get Troy Aikman. Well there is a regular or non-foil, silver and gold with stripes for all three. I have some Aikman gold stripes so I know they exist. I also have to get Jimmy Smith in Red Hot Rookies. There is base, silver and gold with stripes for all three in that. Then Running Wild has Emmitt Smith but there is not base just silver and gold with stripes. The Stat Smashers insert also has stripes but doesnt have different foil versions and it seems to be the most easy of the inserts to get stripe cards of. 1993 Wild Card as far as I can tell does not have stripes for the inserts or the high series of base cards, just the low series. The problem with 1993 is they went out of business before redeeming all the stripe requests so it can be hard to find stripes on the base cards. I think I know the listing you are talking about on Ebay. The seller is Ogre. I have bought from him and he is a good guy but I think he tends to overprice his stuff. He told me once that there may be only 5 or six of the 1000 stripe cards in existence of the 1992 inserts like field force. I am not sure where he got that information. I also wonder how many of these stripes are languishing in dealers back rooms or in albums of former collectors. Most dealers would probably see them as junk wax and not bother putting them on Ebay because they wouldnt realize there is a market for them. I know my local card shop dealer would probably sell them cheap to me if he ever got any in his shop. Also I wonder how many have been thrown out with 5000 count boxes of "worthless" junk wax over the years? Anyway thanks for your post.

Barry Sanders 92 Field Force stripe versions are tough to locate.
I still haven't found them all.
I think the Running Wild stripes are even tougher to locate.

I agree on all counts: 1 - They are VERY tough to find and 2 - There are likely many still in boxes covered in dust. I did some research on the product in an attempt to find insertion ratios, but I didn't have any luck. I did find out that the stripe cards were actually meant to be redemption cards for that many cards of the player or any combination of lower stripes / cards adding up to the stripe. If people were actually dumb enough to send them back then these are going to be a tough find for sure with the stars.
-- WANT LIST LINK --

I do not think any of the gold and silver stripes were inserted into packs... I busted A LOT of the jumbo packs as a kid, and never saw one. I think they were cards people actually traded in to earn. I could be wrong, but I would imagine this scenario is most likely.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

Marinocollector I am not sure either. I didn't collect Wild Card past 1991 as a kid. They weren't that popular among my collecting circles back then. I would imagine they would insert some stripes of the field force, running wild, etc within packs though but I am not sure. Also Wild Card went bankrupt and someone had to take possession of all the cards in the company. I wonder if they ever made it back into the market yet or if someone is hording them?

(06-27-2014, 10:25 AM)jjoy Wrote: Marinocollector I am not sure either. I didn't collect Wild Card past 1991 as a kid. They weren't that popular among my collecting circles back then. I would imagine they would insert some stripes of the field force, running wild, etc within packs though but I am not sure. Also Wild Card went bankrupt and someone had to take possession of all the cards in the company. I wonder if they ever made it back into the market yet or if someone is hording them?
The actual number of the stripe for the redemption program was not pre-made.
They created multiple blanks with the stripe, and when a collector would redeem cards to upgrade their stripes, they would stamp the blanks the appropriate number. Blanks have made it to the open market.
The inserts were in packs with the striping, but the silver and gold Hot Rookies, Running Wild, and Field Force were a special one per jumbo pack only offering.
It was the last run of the product as well. Like I said, I just don't recall any stripes of those, but I am sure that Wild Card would have redeem them if a customer wanted. That was their gimmick.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(06-27-2014, 10:19 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: I do not think any of the gold and silver stripes were inserted into packs... I busted A LOT of the jumbo packs as a kid, and never saw one. I think they were cards people actually traded in to earn. I could be wrong, but I would imagine this scenario is most likely.
That would explain a lot. I just bought a box for the heck of it so I'll report anything good I find. I also remember getting into the hobby in the mid 90's and thinking what junk wild card was... and in the card design department, they still are, however, when it comes to gimmicky print run tactics they were ahead of their time.
-- WANT LIST LINK --