`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking open a graded card.

Breaking open a graded card.
I know it doesn't make financial sense but has anyone opened a graded card case. I'm building a vintage set and it's easier and less expensive to buy a graded EX card than to find a raw card in similar condition. Thought I might buy a graded card and try to open it for my EX or better set. Will it hurt the card? Of course this is a star player ,books at $300.
Photobucket

RE: Breaking open a graded card.
Resell value yes. For personal collection no. Lots of the vintage stuff can be fakes.
Hope that helps. Thanks.

Just going off of joes comment I don't think it would be a fake knowing it's graded, mainly because beckett and PSA don't grade fakes. I don't think it'll hurt the value much. It really depends on if you plan on resale. And physically breaking it open could damage the card it self. But then again it depends on the card and slab. If you don't mind me asking who's the card? And who graded it?

A lot of the times on some of the lower priced cards, you can actually increase the beckett value of a card that has been graded below an 8 by removing it from the graded card case.

(05-11-2014, 09:20 AM)Baseballkid1999 Wrote: Just going off of joes comment I don't think it would be a fake knowing it's graded, mainly because beckett and PSA don't grade fakes. I don't think it'll hurt the value much. It really depends on if you plan on resale. And physically breaking it open could damage the card it self. But then again it depends on the card and slab. If you don't mind me asking who's the card? And who graded it?
PSA , Whitey Ford.
Photobucket

Opening a PSA card is super easy. Put a flat head screwdriver in the crease on top, by the label, and hit it with a hammer. When the tip enters the case twist it and the two sides will separate.
SET NEEDS;
2012 tribute blue autos - need most
1995-98 football inserts

I guess my question would be why not just leave it slabbed and add it to your PC that way? Is it a storage/display issue?
Kepler

theres a few videos on youtube of people breaking cards out of the holders, i think the use pliers and you get the card out safely.
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

Use a bandsaw with the fence set to cut just the seal - blade goes thru the plastic like butter and never worry about anything happening to the card.

I recently cracked my first case (it was BGS). PC card I bought was an 8.5 w/ 9 AU and felt I'd rather have it raw. No regrets.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]