`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trading at Card Shows help

Trading at Card Shows help
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or general experience with trading at card shows.

I went to one today, and found a Finest Marcus Lattimore NFL Logo Auto patch 1/1. I kept my giddiness subdued, and the guy said he was looking for $350 for it. I brought along some of my more high end trade bait:
- A geno/ej bowman sterling dual auto
- A geno/ej/glennon bowman sterling trio auto
- a 6 auto relic book luck/rgiii/tannehill/ej/geno/barkley
- RGIII Triple threads onyx relic 1/1
- Andrew Luck Bowman Sterling Black Auto /50

And a few others. Anywho, the guy gawked at the 6 auto booklet for a while and I asked a few times which of the above he was interested in, or what we could do for the Latti, and he basically just would never give me a straight answer. I walked around the rest of the show, and then returned an hour later, and asked one more time and he just more or less didn't respond.

What did I do wrong here? I felt like I was offering a lot of great stuff for him to choose from, of equal if not greater value considering Latti 1/1's go for about $175-$200 tops on ebay (although I didn't bring this up). And in the end, I'm willing to give up a lot of stuff for proven or semi-proven pro players and Latti hasn't even played a down yet.

Are people/dealers not trading at shows and just selling these days? Any other tips are welcome. I don't think there's another show for a while near me, but even if it helps me trade at the local shops I'd welcome any info.

RE: Trading at Card Shows help
some folks at shows aren't interested in trading. Did you ask him if he wanted to trade or was open to trading?

I know that most people I deal with at shows only want to sell and aren't really looking to trade unless its for a certain player.
[Image: 5SA2MuI.jpg?2]

http://s274.beta.photobucket.com/user/bu...de%20items - click link for photobucket

DO NOT TRADE LIST:

FREDDYLOVESSHAUNA

I might have a 1/1 Lattimore incoming.. I like that booklet of luck griffin etc..
[Image: Untitled.jpg]

http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/ac58/...owboysFan/

Huge cowboys fan! Collecting all cowboys autos, and Main rookies of football and baseball and Game used..

Yeah I asked him first if he was willing to trade and he said it depends on what I had. When I pulled out the book he drooled over it for 20 mins.

spcrd, PM sent

Some people can just be difficult to deal with, communication is key obviously and it sounds like you did your part. I try to be easy to deal with and if you catch me in the right mood I might even give stuff away. Some people just love money more than the hobby and helping others. You can't ever change that, I have a lot of great people to thank for the Cards in My PC and I usually try to pay it forward and always try my hardest to close a deal. Most of the time I am trading to get cards for other people and I have never had a problem closing a trade deal at the show. With what you took to trade it shouldn't have been a problem. Sorry you couldn't get the card you wanted.
[Image: PeytonVolsBannerAbsoluteFinal.png]

http://s1146.photobucket.com/albums/o528...Garretson/
Peyton Manning, Zac Dysert, and UT Vols

My experience at shows is the same for all sellers, they all think they have a gold mine. He probably would have turned down all those because he knew you wanted it and $$ talks. I don't even do shows, I just message on the various media so I don't actually see the card in person and get attached lol

SORRY YOU DIDN'T GET YOUR 1/1. WHEN IT COMES TO DEALERS, ALOT OF THEM JUST WANT THE MONEY. TO BUY MORE AND GET MORE MONEY ONCE THEY SELL AGAIN.
COLLECT DALLAS COWBOYS, MICHIGAN WOLVERINES IN COLLEGE UNI, KELVIN BENJAMIN JASON WITTEN & 2012 TOPPS CHROME DEMARCUS WARE RAINBOW (WANTS MARKED).

I love it when sellers try to down play the cards you offer up for trade. I had a nice Jerry Rice and nice Barry Sanders both of which were graded and a guy tried to act like they weren't worth anything. I wanted to ask if him if he was a soccer fan because he definitely didn't have a clue what he was talking about.
Photobucket

Thanks for the input guys. It must've just been one of those things that wasn't meant to be. Good thing was he actually knew the owner of my local LCS (even though it was 100 miles from where the show was) and he said he bought from him a lot. So I feel like if I really just can't do without the Latti, then I at least have a way to get back in touch with the guy.

I just went crazy the last few months and spent a ridiculous amount of money on cards, and if I'm going to give up the best card I pulled (6 auto relic booklet) for a 1/1, then I want to love every aspect of the 1/1, and for some reason I'm just not head over heals over the Topps Finest 1/1's.

I think you're reading it wrong. It's not that he doesn't want to trade or is only interested in money. The reality is he is in love with his Lattimore 1/1. That's why it is priced 2x ebay prices (based on what you said - I don't really know). You could probably offer him a Brady SP Authentic RC and he'd stare at it for 30 minutes before declining. The problem with Lattimore is that he was a beast in college and then suffered a devastating knee injury. Some guys have fully recovered from it - but will he? Nobody knows for sure. If he turns into an Adrian Peterson type back on the 49ers that card could be worth $2000. Clearly the seller is someone who thinks he will recover and blow up. Other people would rather someone else take that risk and get what they can now before he busts out. At the end of the day you have to offer him something that he wants more than the Lattimore, and it appears you haven't done that (although the 6-auto seemed to almost be there).
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)