`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Would You Ever Buy A Trimmed Card?

Would You Ever Buy A Trimmed Card?
So Im browsing one of my favorite sellers on a popular auction site and see that a 1968 Mantle (altered) has several bids on it...I shake my head and move on. Then I get further into my search and see yet another altered card, 1971 Topps Mays, also has several bids on it. This time the listing even has the word "Trimmed" in the item description! Wth is wrong with people? Why in the world would someone ever want a card that has been tampered with and trimmed? To me its no different than a complete fake.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this.
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

RE: Would You Ever Buy A Trimmed Card?
I'd rather have a trimmed card than not have the card at all. I'm not in it for the value. It's not an investment for me. I'm just a collector. I would not pay full book for an altered card and would not want to be deceived, but if I knew it was altered and the price was appropriate for it's condition, and I didn't already have the card, then I'd consider it.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I would. I wouldn't pay as much of course, but I would buy it. I don't buy cards to show them off or sell them later. They aren't investments to me, that's why I have actual investments. I would buy the card because of the baseball history that Mickey Mantle and a 45 year old picture of him represents. It's a snapshot in time of the country and it's national past time. The fact that someone was dumb and snipped a part of it doesn't make it worthless to me, it is still a baseball card that I can picture some little kid getting almost 50 years ago. That's still cool even if someone trimmed a millimeter off the bottom.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy that particular one because I already have a BVG 7 1968 Mantle. :-)

Edit: Zep types faster than me! Haha

(08-05-2013, 03:14 PM)zeprock Wrote: I'd rather have a trimmed card than not have the card at all. I'm not in it for the value. It's not an investment for me. I'm just a collector. I would not pay full book for an altered card and would not want to be deceived, but if I knew it was altered and the price was appropriate for it's condition, and I didn't already have the card, then I'd consider it.
I guess Id expect that sort of answer from a guy with Clemens and Bonds in his sig.

Im a purist.
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

It's a cheap alternative.
(08-05-2013, 03:17 PM)Merovius Wrote: I guess Id expect that sort of answer from a guy with Clemens and Bonds in his sig.

Im a purist.
Well that's quite a juvenile response to an honest and non-offensive answer.

(08-05-2013, 03:14 PM)zeprock Wrote: I'd rather have a trimmed card than not have the card at all. I'm not in it for the value. It's not an investment for me. I'm just a collector. I would not pay full book for an altered card and would not want to be deceived, but if I knew it was altered and the price was appropriate for it's condition, and I didn't already have the card, then I'd consider it.
+1
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

(08-05-2013, 03:17 PM)Merovius Wrote: I guess Id expect that sort of answer from a guy with Clemens and Bonds in his sig.

Im a purist.
wow. others might not say it, but ive never been known to be polite:

that was a huge bleephole response

(08-05-2013, 03:18 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Well that's quite a juvenile response to an honest and non-offensive answer.
you didnt agree with him 100%, and he is obviously a much better person than you. you had that response coming, you unpure filthy Human being

/sarcasm font

I agree. So long as it is identified as being altered, then I have no issue paying appropriately for the card. I think the T206 Wagner card that was found out to be altered is a case in point for there still being a market for altered cards. The price isn't going to be anywhere near as high as an unaltered card, but there are definitely people that will want the card regardless of condition or it being altered.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(08-05-2013, 03:07 PM)Merovius Wrote: Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this.
Really?
Nah, I think you just want people to agree with you, otherwise you wouldn't have given ZepRock that undeserving cheap shot.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-05-2013, 03:07 PM)Merovius Wrote: Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this.
OP...what's a trimmed card?

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.