`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COMC Hangs Themselves

RE: COMC Hangs Themselves
For any of you who think the sky is falling and people are just going to go to eBay let me present to you my most recent sale:

The last card I sold through my COMC account was a 1989 Topps Traded Ken Griffey Jr., which I was paid $4.50 for an hour ago. That's what a PSA 9 sold for on eBay and mine was raw. A raw one on eBay went for $2.12 with free shipping, which means that either the seller lost money or will be shipping it via PWE and hoping a case isn't filed because the card arrives damaged or because the buyer knows they will win when the seller can't produce tracking info.

So let's see: I got more than twice what a comparative card sold for on eBay, am guaranteed payment, have to do none of the labor or go to the post office, and there was no need for the book value to come into play as the purchaser clearly thought they found a deal. Why would I NOT use COMC?

By the way: COMC also announced that historical data of sales on their site is now available, at no cost to the user.

The historical sales data is a game changer. If COMC plays their cards right, they could develop some much more accurate value numbers than BV ever provided. I've calmed down significantly after COMC's apology and I'm curious to see where this is headed.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

(07-10-2013, 10:11 PM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: By the way: COMC also announced that historical data of sales on their site is now available, at no cost to the user.
Interesting.....I wonder what kind of data relationship Beckett & COMC have in regards to Beckett "setting" BV based on market and how much does the sales price on ebay influence BV.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I am upset that they gave us the BV under the assumption that our seller fees and buyer fees covered it (which it did, it wasn't free to those of us who used the site). As a seller, I appreciated that it was one of the main perks towards bringing in buyers. For you, BV may not mean much but for some reason it does for some others. Now, after I have paid all of my fees to COMC and am waiting for sales, having this removed is very bad for my business. I'm not mad at Beckett, I was mad at COMC since I held up my end of the partnership (as a consignor) and then they changed the terms by passing on previously covered costs to my buyers.

If you don't buy on COMC then I doubt you would understand because you're not who this site was catering to. Cards on there are usually more expensive than some place like Ebay, but they offer certain conveniences that brings in traffic. What is convenient to you or I doesn't matter, I guarantee that I have customers who relied on the BV to make purchasing decisions.

So please, no more "Well BV isn't even relevant" or "I don't get it because you shouldn't have had it in the first place". All of that is beside the point.

Moving forward I'm interested to see where this goes for my business as well as COMC's. Such is life.

my apologies for being one of those "ignorant people." in respect to your views, i have deleted my previous post and will try to stay away from commenting on anything on here again...

(07-10-2013, 11:20 PM)cross4444 Wrote: For the last time for all of you ignorant people who are skipping over replies...

So please, no more "Well BV isn't even relevant" or "I don't get it because you shouldn't have had it in the first place". All of that is beside the point.

(07-10-2013, 10:22 PM)cross4444 Wrote: The historical sales data is a game changer. If COMC plays their cards right, they could develop some much more accurate value numbers than BV ever provided. I've calmed down significantly after COMC's apology and I'm curious to see where this is headed.
Now this could prove very useful. I wonder too if beckett will be collecting comc's data (if they werent already) and using that in the calculation to determine BV

Cross...if I understand what you are saying.....that the "fees" you already were paying "included" Beckett BV. Now they are "charging" for Beckett BV via a mandatory subscription without a drop in those fees (?). If that is the case, then I can see why you are upset.

Also, remember that threads start to take on a life of thier own and folks comment and post relative to the road the thread has taken. Folks are just sprouting about thier POV on BV and it's affect on them, either buying or selling. No need to disparage anyone (scratching my head....that's not the Cross I am familiar with). Love the passion though..........
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(07-11-2013, 09:24 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Cross...if I understand what you are saying.....that the "fees" you already were paying "included" Beckett BV. Now they are "charging" for Beckett BV via a mandatory subscription without a drop in those fees (?). If that is the case, then I can see why you are upset.
No, it is not mandatory. COMC offers users the option to purchase Beckett subscriptions, which cross over between sites. The same subscription, at the same price, can be purchased here and linked to COMC. In other words, everyone that pays for the OPG here can link that to COMC now and see book values on the site.

There is no mandatory purchase required, and all sellers still get the book values in their inventory manager in order to price their cards. For the seller nothing changed or was taken away from them.

I apologize for my post that was rightfully removed, I get too passionate sometimes Wink

I know I said I wouldn't post again on this...

but thank you for the comment Phillies_Joe, and though I know I'm not the only one that it seems the original comment was directed at, I'm still a little irked. I may be too touchy on the subject, but since the other comment (which is still there) came right after mine (which I deleted), I took offense. Passion is one thing, to call people "ignorant" when trying to justify something or get people to understand your point is just rude.

(07-11-2013, 09:24 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Also, remember that threads start to take on a life of thier own and folks comment and post relative to the road the thread has taken. Folks are just sprouting about thier POV on BV and it's affect on them, either buying or selling. No need to disparage anyone (scratching my head....that's not the Cross I am familiar with). Love the passion though..........