`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
OT: Best baseball-crazy towns

RE: OT: Best baseball-crazy towns
Hopefully the Marlins will start having a better following with all of the money they are putting into the new stadium and players. The most passionate fans I have ever been around was when I visited Philadelphia to watch the Braves play Phillies.
1,254 unique Chipper Jones
317 unique Javy Lopez

I have never been there, but I would have to vote for Milwaukee on the fact that they sold an average of 17,000 tickets per, for a mid week 3 game series between the Indians and Angels in April of 2007. I doubt any other city would show up like that, especially on such short notice, for 2 teams that do not matter to them...

(03-05-2012, 02:59 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: ive been to every park but seattle.

there's nothing like what i got less than 2 miles from my house

fenway park

the cardinals might have the nicest fans. and if you are into that kind of thing, i guess that is alright. it's fine and dandy. very midwest. i can dig it

but passionate? red sox fans are the most passionate. im not talking those pink hat wearing latte sipping lets go to fenway cause it's the cool thing to do people - they'll be gone if the red sox have a bad stretch. im talking the riled up, din-creating, through thick and thin, through aaron boone and bob stanley, celebrate truck day like a national day off, work your schedule around patriot's day so you can drink beer in the morning, catch the game and watch the marathon go by, treat damon like he screwed your wife because he went to the yankees, mirabelli jersey wearing, live each loss like it is the end of the world and every win like a potential game 7, call into the hub and weei and break down beckett's propensity to have bad years in odd years like some latter-day bret saberhagen, forgive every player's sin and condem them for each tiny infraction, know the intricacies of each nook and cranny of fenway like you live there, take a city tour after the world series and find out where ted williams took a piss back in '58, smack talk anyone within 50 yards wearing yankee gear, whether they be man, woman or child, scream like your life depended on it when ells steals home, and generally keep the local otolaryngologists busy because you have lost your voice again because there was ANOTHER appearance of the Lowe-face

you can have fanbases that might (MIGHT) be more knowledgeable. ill even say there are fanbases that are more devout (though i doubt it).

there is no city more passionate - for better and for worse - about baseball. there is no city that lives and dies by baseball, more than Boston, treats baseball as a religion like Boston

[Image: 2110457190047542036S600x600Q85.jpg]
[Image: 1219227485047542036S600x600Q85.jpg]
[Image: 1215386606047542036S600x600Q85.jpg]
[Image: 2196274650047542036S600x600Q85.jpg]

Don't forget about the lying, cheating, desperate punk ***** ***** A-Rod who tried to knock the ball out cause he was getting tagged out in 2004 while running like a little girl to first base. Smile

(03-05-2012, 01:21 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: Now that would likely beat all.

The thing with Milwaukee when I was there is it felt like Opening Day in KC and it was a Monday in July. I couldn't imagine Opening Day every day.
You went when they were having a good year though. You may have a different opinion if you were to go when they were having only a 500 season. I live about an hour and a half from there and go when the Cardinals come to town, and up until the last year or two there were always more red in the stands than blue. I used to be able to go up on the day of the game and get tickets in the in sections right behind the plate or the dugout. It is a very nice park with easy access and only once was I harassed for being a Cardinal fan.

I went to a Saturday night game at Miller against the Giants (they year the Giants won the WS), and it was electric. Open roof through the 7th inning, then it shut due to an impending storm. They won in the bottom of the ninth or tenth, and it was ELECTRIC. I think my favorite part was the college football-like tailgating before the game. Lots of fun. I just wonder if Milwaukee will sustain the support now that they are potentially heading towards the middle of the NL Central again? But who knows.

How about something from other cities?
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

(03-05-2012, 02:59 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: fenway park

the cardinals might have the nicest fans. and if you are into that kind of thing, i guess that is alright. it's fine and dandy. very midwest. i can dig it

but passionate? red sox fans are the most passionate. im not talking those pink hat wearing latte sipping lets go to fenway cause it's the cool thing to do people - they'll be gone if the red sox have a bad stretch. im talking the riled up, din-creating, through thick and thin, through aaron boone and bob stanley, celebrate truck day like a national day off, work your schedule around patriot's day so you can drink beer in the morning, catch the game and watch the marathon go by, treat damon like he screwed your wife because he went to the yankees, mirabelli jersey wearing, live each loss like it is the end of the world and every win like a potential game 7, call into the hub and weei and break down beckett's propensity to have bad years in odd years like some latter-day bret saberhagen, forgive every player's sin and condem them for each tiny infraction, know the intricacies of each nook and cranny of fenway like you live there, take a city tour after the world series and find out where ted williams took a piss back in '58, smack talk anyone within 50 yards wearing yankee gear, whether they be man, woman or child, scream like your life depended on it when ells steals home, and generally keep the local otolaryngologists busy because you have lost your voice again because there was ANOTHER appearance of the Lowe-face

you can have fanbases that might (MIGHT) be more knowledgeable. ill even say there are fanbases that are more devout (though i doubt it).

there is no city more passionate - for better and for worse - about baseball. there is no city that lives and dies by baseball, more than Boston, treats baseball as a religion like Boston
+1
Gotta agree and I live four hours north and we're just as passionate way up here.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Hate to say this..
Worse Baseball town??
My town
Washington DC..can not get out of their own way to find the ballpark!!

Let's stir the pot, shall we?

Great Baseball Towns:
New York
Boston
LA
Philly
St. Louis
San Francisco (quietly)

OK/Fairweather Baseball Towns:
Chicago (Oh yes I did!)
Toronto
Detroit
Cleveland
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Seattle
Atlanta...lack of attendance in recent post-season might mean this should belong lower on the list
Houston
Phoenix
Denver

Up and Coming Baseball Towns:
Baltimore
Kansas City
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Washington DC
Miami (only on this list because of potential with new stadium)
Milwaukee
Cinncy
Pittsburgh

"We have a baseball team?" Towns:
Tampa Bay
Oakland
San Diego (dude, let's go to the beach)
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

Deeeeetriot!!

(03-05-2012, 01:11 PM)sastahl Wrote: remember opening day last year? they may be a little to passionate
I stopped going to that stadium. The gang banging fans that seat in the nosebleeds or bleachers will throw beer at opposing teams fans and at the police... Been there once, won't go back again. LAPD had to relocate all Angels fans in my area to a suite for safety reasons.
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]