Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HUGE Shoutout to Folkertino!
Smile 
HUGE Shoutout to Folkertino!
Don't you just love getting surprise packages in the mail? And from Spain none the less. I first received a card in my mail box telling me a package was waiting but I needed to pick it up at the post office and sign for it. I couldn't make it until Saturday morning and and the wait to find out who it was from and what it was was almost too much to bear. And this surprise was no let down.

The package was from folkertino. This guy is f@#$%&g legend in my books. As a Dutch guy living in Spain he knows the trials of collecting cards of players that don't have many cards to begin with. He had read my post about collecting the New Zealand player Kirk Penney (I am a New Zealand living in the US) and instead of just going on to the next post he decided to do something amazing.

Kirk Penney is currently playing for Baloncesto Fuenlabrada a team in the Spanish Basketball Liga ACB. There are no cards of Penney from the Spanish league so folkertino just went a head and made one himself. Not only that, he then found an address for Kirk Penney and mailed off the card to him to sign. Penney promptly returned the signed cards to folkertino and folkertino in turn mailed them off to me.

So I get to open this mystery package from Spain to find this BEAUTIFUL signed Kirk Penney card and an awesome back story to go with it.

So here it is:

[Image: Scan2.jpg]

All I can really say is a huge 'THANK YOU'. There is really nothing I can do to ever really come close to repaying the effort that this guy put it producing a card for me that is truly the centerpiece of my Kirk Penney collection. Folkert, you are awesome and it is people like you that keep this site ticking along. Thank you very much!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

RE: HUGE Shoutout to Folkertino!
Wow, very nice!

Wow that is pretty impressive. Very cool the player signed it and sent it back! This is beyond a cool story! Contrats!

[Image: Nick.jpg]

Dude, you're welcome. It was my pleasure as I actually quite enjoy making these cards. Considering that players here are much more approachable than in the States it is fortunately a bit easier here to get a signature from them. Nonetheless it's great to interact with a player in this way and it shows a lot of character and personality for a player to take the effort to sign and return the cards.

I thought I'd use a photo of him in a New Zealand jersey, which I imagine resonates more with you than a Fuenlabrada or other European team's uniform. The card actually came out quite nicely and Kirk Penney set a very nice and sharp auto, so it really looks good.

I was already afraid it had gotten lost in mail as I sent it out on the 2nd and since the 3rd I didn't get any status update on the mail tracking. Glad you received it and that you enjoy the card (only two made! lol)

Here's a video of before sending it out and upon receipt of the return envelope.

I've got another self-made card for myself out there which I hope to get back shortly from a Dutch player. I'll post that when it comes in.

Man that's why I like it here on Beckett, collector's like folkertino that love the hobby and helping other collector's without expecting to get more than they give...... Awesome story.
I collect Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett also certain High End Celtics HOF's.

[Image: jordanbird_edited-1.gif]

Yes, he is a legend. That's a great story.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Legendary thread! HOF Beckett Members! I Heart it!
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

(02-23-2012, 09:25 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: Yes, he is a legend. That's a great story.
+1 Can't say it any better!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

This is the best thread I have read in a while.

folkertino- you deserve an "atta boy" and a pat on the back. That card looks great.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

That is truly awesome. It's stories like these that make me want to stay on this site. Dealing with good people here!