`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wish book price meant something

RE: Wish book price meant something
True i agree with that as well. And as far as ebay goes there are still a lot of cards being sold for high amounts. Also I am sure that beckett marketplace sells the same type of cards but it would be intersting to see if two identical cards sell faster on one site or the other.

Ebay is a good thing for a lot of people its just that the price of cards went way up ifso facto if you pay 300 dollars for one box why should they lower the cost?
And besides when i look at a beckett book some of it makes me laught what things are priced at sometimes

The issue is just as much the consumer's problem as it is Becketts or Ebay. If Beckett tells you the card is worth 100 and you sell it for 10, how is that Becketts fault?

People are lazy, they want to do as little work as possible so that 100$ auto goes up on ebay the night they bust the box in a 99c auction. If they would instead put up a set price on a 7 day auction that ended approx 1 hour after the teams game on Sunday against a weak opponent (huge stats) or a rival (emotional) they'd be far more likely to get top dollar.

Two weeks ago Tebow base rookies were pulling 12$-15$, now you'd be lucky to get 5$. You have to do your homework.
Most collectors also make the mistake of thinking the best money lays in high end hits, it doesn't. The money lays in base rookies Topps Chrome for football, Bowman Chrome for baseball. Not everyone can afford that 100$ patch auto but you can be sure every male in Dallas under the age of 21 has a base DeMarco Murray RC. But packaging and shipping alot of cards and researching the best time to sell takes alot of work, and well......people are lazy.

(12-27-2011, 10:59 PM)Sajman01 Wrote: The issue is just as much the consumer's problem as it is Becketts or Ebay. If Beckett tells you the card is worth 100 and you sell it for 10, how is that Becketts fault?

People are lazy, they want to do as little work as possible so that 100$ auto goes up on ebay the night they bust the box in a 99c auction. If they would instead put up a set price on a 7 day auction that ended approx 1 hour after the teams game on Sunday against a weak opponent (huge stats) or a rival (emotional) they'd be far more likely to get top dollar.

Two weeks ago Tebow base rookies were pulling 12$-15$, now you'd be lucky to get 5$. You have to do your homework.
Thats simple supply and demand. You're asking a consumer to wait "until the time is right" where in todays society that is not possible. Wait until Demarco has another 200 yard day against the Cards who they play in 2 weeks? Next game broken ankle out the rest of the year. You cant fault lazy people when 10 other auctions are going for the same $5 price. A spike in value should also be indicated in Beckett (raising prices) but its not logical to base a spike such as Tebows on a 2 week span therefore leaving his BV at $5 instead of raising it to $15. Sure there are instances where the card you have listed for higher than its been selling for will sell but I can promise you that no card selling daily for $10 will bring in $100 on an "emotional/huge stat" day. If a player gets hot and his cards go from $5 to $15 then this should be reflected in Beckett. I am in no way saying Beckett should use ebay as Market value. As I stated it should be considered a part of it.
P.S - I do agree with you on timing. I know for a fact that $10 card can be pushed to $20 if you do research it and invest a little time.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

The thing that ebay did though is stopped the human interaction of the hobby. Anyone can set up shop in their garage and take some pictures and make their ebay "store" look great. I hate what its done to the hobby. I put a stat up a few days ago. back in 2000 there were around 11,000 stores direct with a major company...in 2010 there were only 1,100 registered stores that were direct with a major company. The market has been hit so hard. Yes there are still alot of cards that get a premium on ebay...then ebay proceeds to bend you over and your left feeling violated and unsatisfied but realize you have to sell on there...its great for buyers and horrible for sellers. There needs to be a reasonable middle. I love ebay for finding stuff and buying at a cheap price but hate it when selling...Pretty soon there will not be many card shops around. So everyone who likes going into a shop and seeing the exact cards they are buying and getting the self satisfaction buying a box they know is from a clean case will be over. Even just the people who go into shops just to talk about the hobby and watch what game is on will soon find there isnt a local shop to go to
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

I love eBay and other online places to purchase cards. Card shops are rip offs IMHO.

I also dislike the premise that eBay/online stores have ruined the hobby. To me that sounds like "hey ebay and similar sources are putting us out of business because we can't keep up." Times change and without eBay I wouldnt own anywhere near the amount of cards I own. It allows people worldwide to ALL go to one place to sell or buy cards. It gives virtually an unlimited amount of options that NO card shop could ever offer. You may have 10 Marino's I need but eBay will have 100's. It gives me more options and choices which allows me to get the most bang for MY buck. In fact Im surprised anyone goes to a card shop anymore. EVERYTHING is cheaper online somewhere else.

Then to think of all the potential Jason Taylor 1/1s out there that card shops may have buried in their storage room because they can't move the product they have out on display bothers me. Card shops are all about profit to survive so they wont lower prices on anything unless its absolutely necessary which means a card I can buy on eBay for $10 will have a $30 price tag. Sorry but my money is more important than supporting any lcs. May sound rude but its true. Yes in some instances card shop owners may give deals to regulars but what about the casual customer? If you want my money then give me a fair deal.

As for Beckett's pricing all I would want is more consistency. I hate when a card sells for $100 but books at $150 while a card that books at $300 sells for $100. It creates the dreaded sv vs. bv debate that everyone hates.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(12-28-2011, 12:04 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: I love eBay and other online places to purchase cards. Card shops are rip offs IMHO.

I also dislike the premise that eBay/online stores have ruined the hobby. To me that sounds like "hey ebay and similar sources are putting us out of business because we can't keep up." Times change and without eBay I wouldnt own anywhere near the amount of cards I own. It allows people worldwide to ALL go to one place to sell or buy cards. It gives virtually an unlimited amount of options that NO card shop could ever offer. You may have 10 Marino's I need but eBay will have 100's. It gives me more options and choices which allows me to get the most bang for MY buck. In fact Im surprised anyone goes to a card shop anymore. EVERYTHING is cheaper online somewhere else.

Then to think of all the potential Jason Taylor 1/1s out there that card shops may have buried in their storage room because they can't move the product they have out on display bothers me. Card shops are all about profit to survive so they wont lower prices on anything unless its absolutely necessary which means a card I can buy on eBay for $10 will have a $30 price tag. Sorry but my money is more important than supporting any lcs. May sound rude but its true. Yes in some instances card shop owners may give deals to regulars but what about the casual customer? If you want my money then give me a fair deal.

As for Beckett's pricing all I would want is more consistency. I hate when a card sells for $100 but books at $150 while a card that books at $300 sells for $100. It creates the dreaded sv vs. bv debate that everyone hates.
you must have some shitty shops around you then...either that or our shop is different then most.

(12-28-2011, 12:09 AM)chads-cards Wrote: you must have some shitty shops around you then...either that or our shop is different then most.
Im actually surprised we can say shitty lol.

Follow me here. Lets say you have you have the best card shop within 100 miles from where your located...that doesn't help me personally at all. I will never be close enough to you to experience what you can offer so I need other outlets. Even if you are top notch you can only satisfy so many folks. How many new JTs could you offer me? Would the price compete with eBay or another online source? If the answer is quite a few and absolutely then I would send you my money and support your shop well at least until you couldn't satisfy my needs. Unfortunately the odds are the answer is not many if any at all and probably not. We will never see eye to eye this because we are on different sides of the spectrum which is understandable but just know the source that gives the most customers the most choices for the most competitive prices will ALWAYS win. If card shop owners want to be supreme again the object isnt to compete against each other but to come together and compete with eBay and other online providers.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

Like Chad said earlier - You go to the shops for the hands on experience and the human interaction. I will visit a shop every week if I can. Not only is it more fun it also supports your local economy.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

I would go to shops too if there were some good ones close. But i watched a movie at work (Had To) about the changing of time and how every time a new paradign is set everyone starts at zero. So in 2000 when Ebay became huge and everyone everywhere started to use the internet or had been for quite some time, Big card shops should have said ok this is how its going to be and simply set up a ebay store. You reach millions of people without potentially paying anyone. its easy one person can check it. so on and so fourth. Yes it would be sweet to have just like card get together and trade forums in person but times have changed.

(12-28-2011, 12:42 AM)kbfullerr Wrote: I would go to shops too if there were some good ones close. But i watched a movie at work (Had To) about the changing of time and how every time a new paradign is set everyone starts at zero. So in 2000 when Ebay became huge and everyone everywhere started to use the internet or had been for quite some time, Big card shops should have said ok this is how its going to be and simply set up a ebay store. You reach millions of people without potentially paying anyone. its easy one person can check it. so on and so fourth. Yes it would be sweet to have just like card get together and trade forums in person but times have changed.
And we started selling on ebay in 1998...we adapted. I am just saying in general I want to see this hobby back to when I was real little and I would go into my families shop and see people constantly come in and out.