`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread!

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread!

Another trip through the dupes box, thanks to onionring.

:d

edit: no luck on '94 Leaf or '98 Collector's Choice. onionring - do you have dupes of '94 Leaf #187 or '98 CC #143? My Leaf apprears to have a silver holo, and my CC has the regular field-shaped holo.

edit #2: Just noticed that the '98 Collector's Choice you're talking about is an insert. Can anyone verify that base cards have holo variations?

I keep all my greenwells and brownes in order by year,manufactuer.Since ,since most of these i have multiples of i looked at the fronts and backs and checked for differances in the cards.The Brownes that i just listed.The color was so differant that i knew something was wrong.I have 8 of this card 6 of the ones on the left and 2 on the right.

Thrill 22 Wrote:
bornagaincollector Wrote:I found these lastnight and thought it was interesting.Thoughts
Can you tell us what to look for? Some of these variations are hard to spot, unless you know what to look for...

Drew

bondshof Wrote:I also found out about the Topps * ** , E, F, versions through this thread. Could some of these versions be a factory set version?

My feb/mar 2007 issue of Beckett Baseball Card Plus doesnt list this error:

1981 Donruss #71 Bobby Bonds
error has 986 HR on reverse has been corrected 326 HR.

I think there would be a little demand for the factory versions, if only we knew for sure what the factory versions are.
The title page to this thread explains what the factory versions are for Donruss sets 1988-1991. 1988 has switched border designs, 1989 (no specific, but the color(s) may be slightly different), 1990 has different splatter design, 1991 has different shapes in the borders than their wax issues.

As far as any Topps * ** or E*/F* type variations go, they are printers designation marks. A basic Topps set from the 80's 90's was usually 792 cards printed on 6 different 132 card sheets: A, B, C, D, E, F. This is not a variation specific to factory sets. Most cards affected by this variety can be found in all (or most) types of packaging. * and ** variations are the printers designations for Topps 2 sheet sets or smaller sets like Topps Minis, Topps Traded etc.

And last, you will find that Beckett does not list hundreds (thousands?) of widely recognized and collected variations. Hopefully as this thread stays alive and informative, it will generate enough interest to change that. At the very least we are making it very easy for them by updating the front page with detailed info. Most of the items we have discussed on here were likely discovered after the error bubble had burst and interest in "minor" variations had waned leaving little motivation for Beckett to update their guides.

JeffD27177 Wrote:My thought was that all of the players have one, which is why I thought it was a "variation" of sorts. Seems though that you guys are saying a printing "error" doesn't count as an "error/variation."
I wrote a ridiculously long post several pages back regarding this matter. But to sum it up, I personally do consider a printing mistake an "error". That is another word for mistake so I have no problem labeling an item that way. However, this thread, or let's say it's front page is to gather a checklist of unlisted variations that affect a relatively large portion of a set. I would add the 2007 No foils but then I would have to add every set that ever used foil processing and could be found without it. Maybe a note at the end of the list noting this would be the best solution.

Onionring: I forgot a McGwire variation. The only variation I know of so far in 1993 Topps is the McGwire base card. His name comes in two different sizes. I have sold this pair a couple of times over and it's pretty noticable when side-by-side. Neither one seemed too scarce. Also I have no idea if this affects other players. My other examples of 1993 Topps did not have this variation.

Also, I updated the list again. I am going to wait on the 1994 Leaf, 1995 Summit and 1998 Collector's Choice until anyone can confirm another player. I am starting to get the feeling that the manufacturers were extra picky about McGwire's cards.

EDIT: Also, I found a fourth variety of the 1991 UD holograms. It uses the "Upper Deck" logo pattern found on 1992 UD baseball, 1991-92 Hi# NHL, NBA and 1991 Hi# NFL. I have examples from both hi and low series players.

Can someone post a scan of what a 82 topps blackless,blueless look like?

bornagaincollector Wrote:Can someone post a scan of what a 82 topps blackless,blueless look like?
I have a Rod Carew blackless I can scan later, but I recommend doing an ebay search of "blackless Topps" or "blueless Topps". You'll get all the info you need.

jacksoncoupage Wrote:Onionring: I forgot a McGwire variation. The only variation I know of so far in 1993 Topps is the McGwire base card. His name comes in two different sizes. I have sold this pair a couple of times over and it's pretty noticable when side-by-side. Neither one seemed too scarce. Also I have no idea if this affects other players. My other examples of 1993 Topps did not have this variation.
Yeah I see what you are saying. I hope this didn't carry over to all the other versions of this card (Inaugural, pre-production, gold, etc)

bornagaincollector Wrote:Oniniring9,
Wanted to let you know,i have a friend that collects McGwire also.He told me he has several of the Black Gold Leaf cards and is going to check and see if he has the INC. version you need.I should know something by midweek.

Roger

onionring9 Wrote:Also found this, 1993 Blue Classic Set

Blue back/Gray Back?

[Image: 1993classic.jpg]
Hey I really appreciate this. Thank you!

TNP777 Wrote:

Another trip through the dupes box, thanks to onionring.

:d

edit: no luck on '94 Leaf or '98 Collector's Choice. onionring - do you have dupes of '94 Leaf #187 or '98 CC #143? My Leaf apprears to have a silver holo, and my CC has the regular field-shaped holo.

edit #2: Just noticed that the '98 Collector's Choice you're talking about is an insert. Can anyone verify that base cards have holo variations?
Your holo is shaped like a base, not the diamond correct? I've only got one shaped like a diamond and as you can see, its pretty tore up on top :doubt:

I hope you are saving this in a text file on your computer jackson!!