Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CASE STUDY - Giving a Crap Versus Not Giving a Crap

CASE STUDY - Giving a Crap Versus Not Giving a Crap
Let's Effing Go, Banger Bros!

Wanted to discuss a baseball card and a basketball card I pulled recently, so I split the difference and posted this in the football forums, LOL

So I was at my LCS the other day and got one hobby jumbo of Topps Series 1 Baseball.

Let the owner pick which one and glad I did ... jersey card of reigning NL ROY Corbin Carroll, #d to 50 ...

[Image: CCFront.jpg]

What's cool about this card is what it says on the back:

"The relic contained in this card was worn by the featured player."

[Image: CCBack.jpg]

Awesome! I feel like I actually have a noteworthy card of a great young player.

Conversely - the day before, I pulled the following card out of a retail pack:

[Image: JJFront.jpg]

If you look closely at the swatch, I am almost positive it is the same material that Panini uses for the holiday sweater cards in its Winter Hoops products.

The back seems to not deny this notion:

"The enclosed officially licensed material is not affiliated with any specific player, game or event."

[Image: JJBack.jpg]

Not exactly news, Panini has pretty much been using this disclaimer across all sports for at least a couple of years now.

The point of this post is not to specifically praise Topps or pick on Panini.

But, I mean, how I feel about each card is light years apart, despite the fact that they're both nice looking cards of really good young players.

RE: CASE STUDY - Giving a Crap Versus Not Giving a Crap
To me, if there is no attachment to the player (game or event worn) and is just a random jersey from the warehouse then it should just be considered an Insert. Just like those cool Topps cards that would be in blasters that were called manufactured patches. Those are not tagged as "MEM" cards and are just considered inserts. And the sad thing is that if Panini is just going to cut up a bunch of random jerseys, they should all be cool look patches. Not some single colored knapkin.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

It would be nice if it was "Game Used/Worn" and can be verified (Jersey shown on back that was cut up for the card like some Playoff cards from the 2000s).
Unfortunately even "player worn" witnessed by Trading Card Co representative is just players throwing on jerseys for a second like those NFL Rookie Premier Events cards, so not impressive in my opinion.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

Agreed, Bros

I just won a player worn “mem” card of T Law. 2022 NT for $30 and its numbers to 25. wonder how hard it would be to get him to sign it?
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

Maybe at a show, I definitely wouldn’t send it to him! Nice card!

I know I'm the minority in the hobby but I simply prefer game used over anything else and leave it at that. If I pull a jersey card and the swatch is cool I'm fine with it as opposed to pissed it's not actual game used. I do like getting something game used more than event or player etc but I don't spend any emotional anything on the subject. For me a cool card is a cool card with game used being just a little cooler. Great pulls by the way!
ID VIKESRULE on most other trade sites. Don't care about BV if the deal is right.
Cris Carter super collector and die hard Vikings guy!

I agree footbal.
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

Topps, of course, pioneered the vague language with their "the attached material is not attached to any specific game or event" - but in this case, they have an honest disclaimer that it is player worn

Of course, the best patch card I got is from Topps and it is player worn from the NFL RPS - it's a Ryan Tannehill rookie Strata Auto Relic showing the rear part of the Dolphin logo - I know the patch is the original because I pulled it myself.

I tend to avoid any memorabilia cards unless they are auto memorabilia or very cheap and from specific collector's interest