Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Just In ... Pack Searchers Continue To Suck at Their One Job

This Just In ... Pack Searchers Continue To Suck at Their One Job
Banger bros,

Many years ago I pulled an Anthony Davis rookie auto out of 13 loose packs of obviously searched 2012-13 Prestige ...

https://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1516319.html

So I'm in the same Target today - 11 and a half years later, LOL - and see they have exactly four fat packs of 2023-24 Donruss available.

All of the cards had been "fanned" - yes, there's actually a Great New Collector term for it now - as someone had obviously searched them.

I bought them anyway, and not only did I get the card I wanted - "The Rookies" insert of Victor Wembanyama - but I also got three different LeBron inserts that I didn't have, as well as a green laser parallel of the biggest name that changed teams in the offseason, Bradley Beal.

Was thrilled with these four packs.

Not quite sure what the pack searchin' DBs were looking for, but again, a reminder that they really suck at what they think they're getting away with.

RE: This Just In ... Pack Searchers Continue To Suck at Their One Job
But they might have possibly found the $2 "Player Worn" memorabilia card!!

Hopefully they got a holiday sweater swatch on a prizm card.

Like I did the other day.

Haha. Right on.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

My biggest introduction to just how pathetic pack searchers are was when I started opening Hobby Boxes with memorabilia cards and realized that I was successful at telling which packs had the memorabilia cards versus the dummy cards every time just by looking at them in the box - not by touching them, not by weighing them - just by a quick glance

Do card companies even put in dummy cards anymore?

Not only that, but they could also make the fat pack packages tighter from top to bottom to discourage "fanning" as well as make all the packages dark enough so people wouldn't try to dig their fingernails in and ruin the cards.

So simple ... but again, you have to actually try really hatrd to not give a crap to the degree these card companies go to.

I guess their reasoning for allowing for fanning and seeing some of the cards inside is that they will sell a few extra packs.

Despite, you know, honest non-doosh collectors preferring to just grab a pack or two and take our chances.

The point of buying packs is kind of like... not knowing what you will get. The thrill of the chase.

If I wanted to know exactly what I was going to get, I'd just buy singles. There is no fun in that, tho.

There is a dill hole pack searcher in my area that is in really good with the card lady - he's always right there when she magically gets there (heads up text?) and she flat out allows him to search packs while she's still putting stuff out.

So the last time I saw him/them in cahoots, to make a point I just started grabbing stuff while she was putting it out, and when she said I had to wait, I pointed at him leaning against the empty checkstand with all of his searched packs on the conveyor belt and informed her that was fine ... I would also be happy to report her to the vending company if she didn't A) treat everyone the same or B) heaven forbid actually enforce the rules for everyone.

I then grabbed all of his searched packs that he had already set aside, and when he said "hey, I'm buying those," I told him not today and if he had a problem with it he could take it up with security.

(I didn't buy them either ... turned them into customer service and told them the guy was getting ready to put them in his backpack and that they should go talk to him.)

Lo and behold, when I show up now, she doesn't say a word and he offers up whatever product he's searching.

(Which I don't. Plus, he's usually feeling up Prizm fact packs. What the hell does he think he's going to discover?)

The good news is, I couldn't care less. I'm perfectly comfortable making people uncomfortable when there are shenanigans involved.

(03-25-2024, 10:17 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: There is a dill hole pack searcher in my area that is in really good with the card lady - he's always right there when she magically gets there (heads up text?) and she flat out allows him to search packs while she's still putting stuff out.
What in the actual fudge?