`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1-and-done HOF ballot

RE: 1-and-done HOF ballot
(11-07-2023, 01:26 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I mentioned RCs I actually owned (had).
Just slap a Topps RC logo on it and call it a rookie card, even if it's 31 years later

Hay-Yo!!!

(11-07-2023, 04:38 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Just slap a Topps RC logo on it and call it a rookie card, even if it's 31 years later

Hay-Yo!!!
I guess I qualify as a rookie accountant after 25 years of experience!

(11-07-2023, 05:33 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I guess I qualify as a rookie accountant after 25 years of experience!
Assuming you have a tattoo of a Topps RC logo

(11-07-2023, 08:05 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Here is a different view:  If a player's RC is less than $3 value there would be no reason to put that player in the HOF since value of a RC is based on performance and popularity.

Jeff Kent is a good example...both RCs I had were $2.50 value and he is expired from eligibility.  Manny Ramirez deserves to get in with $4 RC value for three cards I have, so we will see.
That leaves Randy Johnson out of the Hall of Fame.

(11-08-2023, 07:35 PM)yankee98 Wrote: That leaves Randy Johnson out of the Hall of Fame.
There are dozens of HOFers with RCs for less than $3, many to most from the junk era

(11-08-2023, 10:36 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: There are dozens of HOFers with RCs for less than $3, many to most from the junk era
Undeservably so.

I think Soriano should not have been a one-and-done player. He was underrated in my opinion too although I don't believe he ended his career as a Hall of Famer. He should have gotten a little more love.

Canseco should've had at least a second year too but he was so hated when his time came up to be on the ballot that he really didn't stand much of a chance.

Prior to Acuna's season this year, those two players made up 50% of MLB's exclusive 40-40 club. The other two member aren't in the Hall either.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Great Canseco story ...

When I was in junior high I was a bench warmer on the basketball team.

I only took two shots all of 7th grade and didn't score any points that year.

So coming into 8th grade, my dad said he'd get me a pack of cards for every point that I scored.

Lo and behold, first game of the season, I sank a baseline jumper from about 15 feet for my first basket.

My dad kept this promise and drove me to the LCS after the game.

I picked two packs of 1988 Fleer and got Jose Canseco, my favorite player at the time (until Kid Griffey showed up).

Jose went on to his 40-40 season that year.

I still have that card and it is absolutely priceless to me.

Regardless of whether he gets in, he'll always be a Hall of Famer to me.

PS - for those of you scoring at home, I made one other basket that season for a total of four points in two years.

But, over the course of the next four years ... I went to some camps ... started running and working out ... and took probably 10 billion shots in my driveway.

(Literally ... I played in the driveway every day after school, way past dark. My dad eventually put some motion lights on the garage so I could shoot into the night.)

Lo and behold, I was the MVP of my high school team my senior year!

So whenever I look at that Canseco card I think back to the day it all started.

Nice story, RJ! Always great to hear how dads make a difference.

I was 4'11" as a high school freshman so I learned to sink long shots so nobody could block them. 4 years later I was 5'11", 130 lbs, and put at Center in a college recreational league. Needless to say, I had to continue making long shots against taller centers, and defensively learn to slap the ball before they could shoot.

That’s exactly why I’m a big proponent of “you gotta earn s—t in life”

Nobody felt sorry for me!