`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplicate card entries

Duplicate card entries
I had two collections in My Organize with duplicate cards.

When I deleted cards from one collection, it deleted them from the other collection also.

This is infuriating!  

Is there a way to avoid this in the future?  Seems to be easily avoidable and a major design flaw in the ORG tool.
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

RE: Duplicate card entries
Yes, this has happened to me.

So, after adding a card you make a duplicate and move that copy to a folder. Now you have separate entries and can delete one without affecting the other.

Also, those cards are not deleted until you Empty the Trash.

A little more clarity, in case you need it.

It seems to me that this only makes sense if you do not have tags showing in your organize view.  With that being the case, I can understand someone thinking "add to collection" actually creates a duplicate.  That action does not create a duplicate.  It simply adds a collection tag to that item in your organize.  So if you open either one of the collections you have that card assigned to, it will show up.  The quantity displayed will be the total quantity you have of that card (in all collections).

I would recommend showing tags to avoid confusion.

As stated before, to create an actual duplicate/new item in your organize, you have to use the "Duplicate Item" icon that shows up in the far right column of each item in your Organize view.  That icon is two bent arrows going counter-clockwise around what looks like a small race track shape.

When you do that, you need to be aware of a couple of things:
   1. All initial quantities for the duplicate item will be zero
   2. The duplicate item will not (initially) be associated with any of your collections
   3. The duplicate item will have the initial grade of Mint (9)
   4. To address 1-3, key in the duplicate's Have quantity, assign it a proper grade, check the select box next to the duplicate item, and add it to the colleciton you want it in.

(12-12-2022, 03:25 PM)jmhorn Wrote: A little more clarity, in case you need it.

It seems to me that this only makes sense if you do not have tags showing in your organize view.  With that being the case, I can understand someone thinking "add to collection" actually creates a duplicate.  That action does not create a duplicate.  It simply adds a collection tag to that item in your organize.  So if you open either one of the collections you have that card assigned to, it will show up.  The quantity displayed will be the total quantity you have of that card (in all collections).

I would recommend showing tags to avoid confusion.

As stated before, to create an actual duplicate/new item in your organize, you have to use the "Duplicate Item" icon that shows up in the far right column of each item in your Organize view.  That icon is two bent arrows going counter-clockwise around what looks like a small race track shape.

When you do that, you need to be aware of a couple of things:
   1. All initial quantities for the duplicate item will be zero
   2. The duplicate item will not (initially) be associated with any of your collections
   3. The duplicate item will have the initial grade of Mint (9)
   4. To address 1-3, key in the duplicate's Have quantity, assign it a proper grade, check the select box next to the duplicate item, and add it to the colleciton you want it in.

Yeah, this nuance of the Org tool got me a time or two, also.
The good news is the ones that you deleted should still be in the 'trash' collection and you can easily restore them.

I don't see why you would have to use the duplicate item button in order for the cards not to be deleted.

It shouldn't happen regardless.

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(12-12-2022, 10:42 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: I don't see why you would have to use the duplicate item button in order for the cards not to be deleted. 

Have you ever heard of the bank scam where you deposit money in one bank, then write a check to transfer to another bank, and then pull out double the actual cash you have?

You simply adding a copy to another folder is the same theory...you only have 1 but you act like you have two.  So, if you delete one you will have none.

(12-13-2022, 08:18 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Have you ever heard of the bank scam where you deposit money in one bank, then write a check to transfer to another bank, and then pull out double the actual cash you have?

You simply adding a copy to another folder is the same theory...you only have 1 but you act like you have two.  So, if you delete one you will have none.
But in this case I actually did have 2 copies of multiple cards.

Now I have none!

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

Ok, a little misunderstanding. So, when you were adding cards you selected multiple copies rather than one. Then you added those cards to a 2nd collection by selecting 'Add to Collection'. Correct?

This still creates a 'ghost' copy of cards that has no merit other than organizing the way we like it. Using the 'Duplicate' tool is the only legit method of multiplying cards that can be put into different buckets within ORG using 'Move', not 'Add'.

(12-12-2022, 10:42 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: I don't see why you would have to use the duplicate item button in order for the cards not to be deleted. 

You are right, it is confusing.

Terminology - 

Collection: Cascading/Folder-type organization of your card collection(s)
Organize App: The Organize application on Beckett.com that is a database of your collection or collections
Item: A single entry in your collection
Tag: A descriptor attached to a single item in your collection
All Items: Your entire collection of cards/items
Add To: Button in your Organize page that attaches a tag (or multiple tags) to an item in your Organize All Items collection
Duplicate: Button that creates a new item in your collection, matching the Beckett Price Guide information of the card duplicated
Organize View: The columns displayed on your Organize App page (Default, Pricing, Trade, Selling, Buying, Grade, Shopping, eBay, MDR, Custom)
Choose Columns: Columns available to choose in custom layout (Img, Card Description, Have, Trade For, Trade Away, Want, Beckett High, Beckett Low,  Condition, Condition Value, Price Paid, Serial Number, Grading Company, RC, Mem, AU, SER, Comments, Buy on Marketplace, Print Run, Keep, Sell, Want to Buy, Buy Price, Sell Price)
Add Collection: Creates a new grouping (or TAG) for a set of cards
Add Folder: Creates a cascade level above collections or tags to improve the organization of your collections
Send To Trash: Move the item (or items) selected to the Trash Folder
Recently Traded: Cards that you have traded away or traded for

As an example of how to use Beckett Organize (the way I do it):

Daily viewing of my collection is the All Items Collection.  I use a Custom layout (Card Description, Have, Trade For, Trade Away, Want, Beckett High, Condition, Condition Value).  I click the Calculate Current Value button under both Total Collection Value and Total Beckett Value every day, first thing.  Next, I will click the Beckett High column heading to sort ascending and review n/a items (numbers will show up here when Beckett enters brand new pricing).  Clicking Becket High one more time will sort descending.  This is where I look for up and down arrows on my higher-valued cards. 

The folders I have created in Organize are Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Premium.  I create a collection for each set release, then file the collection in the proper sport folder.  I use the Premium folder as a tag I attach to all cards with a value of $30 or more (a way to Print only my high-value cards). 

When I purchase new cards, I sort them and then get to work on adding them to my Organize.  In the Add to Collection pop-up, I choose the collection to add it to, from the dropdown list of all the sets previously created or create a new collection.  Then I will populate the Have QTY and Trade Away QTY.  Variations to this depend on the situation. 

I use the duplicate button for a couple of reasons:  I have duplicates of a card with different conditions or I have duplicates of a card and I need to keep one separate for some reason or another.

I do not have a good method for cleaning up trades.  It is a mess and not worth documenting here, except to say when I trade away all my copies of a card, I will send that item to trash.  I do not like to have items with the Trash tag, so I will almost imediately go to the trash folder and Empty Trash.  I would do the same with the Recently Traded tag if it was easier to clean up.