Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
MehFest 2022 - Two Blasters of Topps Fire

MehFest 2022 - Two Blasters of Topps Fire
What's up Gem Fire Banger Bros,

After the DBN Sharks plowed through the latest retail drop at Target, there were four blasters of Topps Fire left.

I grabbed two, not seeing that they were on sale for the low low price of $24.99 until I was already checking out.

(Note to Topps ... It's Topps Fire. Roll the prices back, please.)

Anyway, here are the "highlights" ...

- Spencer Torkelson second year rookie logo [RC*]
- Bobby Witt Jr. second year rookie logo [RC*]
- Wander Franco "Fired Up" second year insert with rookie logo - "they'll slap that s--t on anything"

Aaaaaand ... that's about it.

I'm calling it good on this product because A) I got the card I wanted, Torkelson for my Tigers PC; B) It's Topps Fire; and C) did I mention they're $25 apiece?

Now, the other two cards I wanted were the Julio Rodriguez second year logo [RC*] and the Seiya Suzuki RC, so if these blasters were priced at their actual non-DBN price gouging rate, I would have probably grabbed the other two.

See the math, Topps?

(And Panini, too?)

Yes, you got 10 extra bucks from me - congrats.

But you lost $40 that I would have spent on two more regular blasters.

So, wait for it ... that's a net loss of $30.

Fantastic business model!

RE: MehFest 2022 - Two Blasters of Topps Fire
Speaking of, if anyone has an extra Suzuki, I'd be happy to trade for one.

Thanks!

RJ

I thought you hated Fire. llol
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

(10-11-2022, 06:25 PM)dogger99 Wrote: I thought you hated Fire. llol
In general, I do, but one advantage they have over other products is the updated players and rookies.

Between yesterday and this morning I picked up three more blasters and pulled two Suzuki RCs, two more Torkelsons and a Julio Rodriguez.

Not to mention "updated" players such as Pujols, Bryant, Correa, Schwarber, Rodon for my Giants PC, etc.

I also pulled an Aaron Ashby auto ... nice looking signature and card.

I am probably done with baseball for 2022.

I have done only 2 hobby boxes of 2022 product so far. Gold Label prepaid 3 hobby boxes coming late November. Just not that much affordable AND interesting.

(10-12-2022, 12:38 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I have done only 2 hobby boxes of 2022 product so far.  Gold Label prepaid 3 hobby boxes coming late November.  Just not that much affordable AND interesting.
Facts. I am contemplating skipping opening any Topps Update and just ordering any PC singles.

I opened a large lot of Topps Series 1. But since we moved in July (and really about 2 months before that) I hardly bought any wax. I've broken maybe a couple of hanger packs of Series 2, no Chrome and maybe 5 blasters total of Heritage, Donruss, Diamond Kings and any others that I may have broken.

But like I said, since about May, I haven't bought anything as far as wax or packs. I have, though, been buying singles. I've really upgraded my Rangers PC since then. 

Of course, by buying singles and not packs, there's no chance to hit big. You spend $20, you're getting a $20 card. With a box or packs, you bust a $20 box, there's a chance for a $1k card. But there's no such chance if you buy a $20 single. LIkewise, you don't have to worry about busting a $20 box and getting $2 in value. 

But I've thoroughly enjoyed buying singles and adding to my PC and my trade list. Got lots of nice cards to trade (started a thread with a few of them). Anyway, it's been more satisfying not buying hardly any wax over the past few years.

(10-12-2022, 02:24 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I opened a large lot of Topps Series 1. But since we moved in July (and really about 2 months before that) I hardly bought any wax. I've broken maybe a couple of hanger packs of Series 2, no Chrome and maybe 5 blasters total of Heritage, Donruss, Diamond Kings and any others that I may have broken.

But like I said, since about May, I haven't bought anything as far as wax or packs. I have, though, been buying singles. I've really upgraded my Rangers PC since then. 

Of course, by buying singles and not packs, there's no chance to hit big. You spend $20, you're getting a $20 card. With a box or packs, you bust a $20 box, there's a chance for a $1k card. But there's no such chance if you buy a $20 single. LIkewise, you don't have to worry about busting a $20 box and getting $2 in value. 

But I've thoroughly enjoyed buying singles and adding to my PC and my trade list. Got lots of nice cards to trade (started a thread with a few of them). Anyway, it's been more satisfying not buying hardly any wax over the past few years.
Yep, singles are always the best bang for the buck, just not as fun ... though I've opened hundreds of blasters over the years where I ended up wishing I'd just bought the single I was chasing for a fraction of the cost.

Funny story - the first cards I ever bought were 1988 Topps Baseball when I was 13.

I got $20 from my grandparents for my birthday that year, which I immediately took to the LCS.

I noticed next to the register they were trying to give away packs of 1986-87 Fleer Basketball - 3 packs for a dollar, as no one wanted them.

I thought about it because I had just started playing basketball in junior high, but I mean ... they were basketball cards.

Who collected basketball cards?

(I probably could have haggled and gotten two boxes for my $20, seeing as how 3 packs for a dollar worked out to $12 a box.)

They also had a Michael Jordan rookie card for sale in the display case, for $20 ... which I had, and again thought about, but ... it was a basketball card.

I found my resolve, ignored the basketball cards and loaded up on 1988 Topps baseball instead.

There aren't many things I regret in life, but that's one of them. If only I had a time machine ...