`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What card would or wouldn't you have autographed?

What card would or wouldn't you have autographed?
So I've been seeing different card shows where they have current or former players sign autographs and have been thinking about going to one.  I ask myself which card would I get autographed if given the opportunity and wondered what cards would you folks NOT get autographed. For example:

Previously graded cards in a slab?  Would you risk getting a graded card autographed?

A card already with a certified autographed out of the package is an obvious one. I don't see how it would be beneficial to get autographed twice.

What about cards that come in sealed cases like the Topps project 100 cards? I have traded for a couple of these this year and I've actually ordered some from Topps this year.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

RE: What card would or wouldn't you have autographed?
When I was younger and less knowledgeable, I had Carl Yastrzemski sign my Near Mint vintage cards of him. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't done that because it reduced the value of them. Now I would look for a nice-looking card that has room for an autograph on it without covering the player's face but with a very low value. I had Pedro Martinez sign a 2001 Donruss Classics card. Both the Pedro and Yaz cards are pictured on my website. As for previously autographed, slabbed or memorabilia cards, I personally would not have a player sign those.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Myself, I have absolutely no personal attachment for a card not signed in person.....ie i'm selling/trading them eventually. With that being said, anything that I get an in-person card auto of, goes to the PC because it now has a story. I want a nice looking cheap card for IP auto's. Also look for cool colors that pop on the card autograph - color match, white on black cards ect.

Mark, That's an awesome Yaz rookie! Think the auto makes it a lot more valuable - know that does not matter to you.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(08-09-2022, 07:03 AM)zeprock Wrote: When I was younger and less knowledgeable, I had Carl Yastrzemski sign my Near Mint vintage cards of him. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't done that because it reduced the value of them. Now I would look for a nice-looking card that has room for an autograph on it without covering the player's face but with a very low value. I had Pedro Martinez sign a 2001 Donruss Classics card. Both the Pedro and Yaz cards are pictured on my website. As for previously autographed, slabbed or memorabilia cards, I personally would not have a player sign those.

(08-09-2022, 07:58 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Myself, I have absolutely no personal attachment for a card not signed in person.....ie i'm selling/trading them eventually.  With that being said, anything that I get an in-person card auto of, goes to the PC because it now has a story.  I want a nice looking cheap card for IP auto's.  Also look for cool colors that pop on the card autograph - color match, white on black cards ect.

Mark, That's an awesome Yaz rookie!  Think the auto makes it a lot more valuable - know that does not matter to you.
Very interesting perspectives!  I would have thought an autograph rookie card would be the bees knees - especially if I were getting it autographed in person and by a player I've always admired.

For example, I picked up an Ozzie Smith RC for a good price. Granted it's obviously off center, but otherwise in great condition. There's an event coming up on October where he will be signing and I was considering getting it autographed.

I've seen some events where certain players won't sign rookie cards, which I found to be a bit odd.

I forgot to add, I've got an auto rc for Pedro Martinez. I think I bought it at a card show when I was a teenager, but have no idea if it's authentic.

I've gotten autos of minor league players. I live near Peoria, IL where we have the Peoria Chiefs - High A club for St. Louis.

At one time, Ryne Sandberg was the manager and I got his auto on an 8x10 photo I took of him at one of the games (photography is my other hobby, but not so much lately).

I know a guy who used to host minor league players for a team near Chicago. He and I had a deal going where I'd take photos, spruce them up and I would share with him. He'd get prints for he and I and send me autographs. He got Albert Almora, who was expected to be an absolute stud at the time. That hasn't quite panned out, but it looks like he's getting some playing time with the reds.

I remember back when I was first collecting in the 90s always hearing about never getting the rookie card autographed. I don't know how applicable that is anymore and personally I'd think it's great to have their rookie card signed. That 1961 Topps Yaz is fantastic! My favorite baseball card set by a mile. A clean and timeless look.

Personally these days if I can get an autograph free or for minimal charge (less than $20), I'll get it on a custom card I design. Otherwise it'll go on a favorite set or one where the autograph won't get lost.

I just try to get commons auto'ed

If I had a Trout RC for example I would never have it signed.
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

Surface and pen consideration are very important too ... the benefit of "vintage" cards or cheaper products like Topps Big League is obviously the flat "cardboard" stock, in which a Sharpie will adhere to nicely.

However, you do not want to use a glossy card stock like base Topps or Prizm because even a Sharpie has the potential to streak, smudge or bubble.

(Nothing worse than paying for the auto ticket, standing in line, then getting a messy auto because you picked the wrong card and/or pen)

Staedtler pens tend to work even better than Sharpies.

Color is also important - here is an IP auto I got of Dick Vermeil a few years back ... this photo doesn't really do justice to how nicely the gold "pops" on the card.

[Image: Vermeil.jpg]

Good luck!

(08-09-2022, 05:46 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Surface and pen consideration are very important too ... the benefit of "vintage" cards or cheaper products like Topps Big League is obviously the flat "cardboard" stock, in which a Sharpie will adhere to nicely.

However, you do not want to use a glossy card stock like base Topps or Prizm because even a Sharpie has the potential to streak, smudge or bubble.

(Nothing worse than paying for the auto ticket, standing in line, then getting a messy auto because you picked the wrong card and/or pen)

Staedtler pens tend to work even better than Sharpies.

Color is also important - here is an IP auto I got of Dick Vermeil a few years back ... this photo doesn't really do justice to how nicely the gold "pops" on the card.

[Image: Vermeil.jpg]

Good luck!
Agree 100% - That Dick Vermeil is cool!  Do you always ask for them addressed to you?  I  have many Phillies with the Gold marker auto....they look great!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(08-09-2022, 06:12 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Agree 100% - That Dick Vermeil is cool!  Do you always ask for them addressed to you?  I  have many Phillies with the Gold marker auto....they look great!
If I’m sending TTM requests I always ask them to personalize it, just because I want them to know I’m an actual fan and not just trying to flip it.

In this case it was in person, but I had met him before and reintroduced myself at this event, so he just signed it to me because I had given him my name again 10 seconds prior, LOL